why cant people say what they do....

214red

I got given a reading as a present from a friend last weekend, he purchased it for me. One of the things I loved about it, was that it was what it was billed to be. She said she gave traditional tarot reading, and that’s what she did, she read the cards, she explained what they meant and the context of the reading.

This was a refreshing break from some of the other readers I have seen who bill themselves as 'psychic readers' or 'tarot with mediumship', or 'intuitive readers'.
Now I am not knocking geniune readers who do the above (I have seen some great psychic readers etc), but many of the people using these titles arent really what they say they are, many readers are simply tarot readers…nothing is wrong with this, but they must think there is as they assume another title instead.

I enjoyed the beauty of the reading I had, I enojoyed being taken through the cards. I went into the reading knowing what to expect, and I didn’t come out disappointed. I might not have normally picked a traditional tarot reading, but I will definitely be doing so in the future (sometimes its not not to have guides/loved ones etc hijacking the reading).

I really wish more readers describe themselves in a more honest manner, instead of adopting a title that appeals to the public. I wish a lot of readers would not oversell themselves, you only come out of the reading disappointed with the whole thing, and wishing you hadnt bothered spending the money.

re-pete-a

Agreed ,
labels have been insisted, or STUCK, to the types of readings received by some sitters.

But the one personally claimed, is simply,

TAROT CARD READER.

214red

re-pete-a said:
Agreed ,
labels have been insisted, or STUCK, to the types of readings received by some sitters.

But the one personally claimed, is simply,

TAROT CARD READER.
:) @rpa

I do think people label and then expand on it also in their blurb, there are exceptions of course

re-pete-a

Yes there are exceptions.

The intent behind the blurb is the reason for it in the first place.

Grandiose Egos require inflated introductions to match.

OR

Perhaps they are as stated.

Who really knows!

franniee

For me it is about the message. I don't care what cards you use or tools or no tools it was always about the message. When I went for readings I wanted to know what I wanted to know so how you got there was immaterial. I love to watch others read but I enjoy the process. I love to see how they or how they don't make magic.

I find labels annoying. In all aspects of life. Just show me what you can do.

That said..... I don't want you merely reading the cards - card by card - I want you to be able to transcend the cards and hear the message that is meant for me. For me it is alchemy - call it what you will but there should come a time when the message is more than the summation of cards on the table....

re-pete-a

Isn't that what all are aspireing to become in time.

214red

franniee said:
That said..... I don't want you merely reading the cards - card by card - I want you to be able to transcend the cards and hear the message that is meant for me. For me it is alchemy - call it what you will but there should come a time when the message is more than the summation of cards on the table....
i do think that reading the cards can give you the answer, you can draw a conclusion on cards alone.

rachelcat

I always thought that if I ever advertise readings on eBay or whatever, my headline will be "I Am Not Psychic." I just read the cards!

214red

rachelcat said:
I always thought that if I ever advertise readings on eBay or whatever, my headline will be "I Am Not Psychic." I just read the cards!
that would just be clear to people what you are, if only more could be so honest, readers often wouldnt get such a bad name:(

Umbrae

214red said:
I really wish more readers describe themselves in a more honest manner, instead of adopting a title that appeals to the public. I wish a lot of readers would not oversell themselves, you only come out of the reading disappointed with the whole thing, and wishing you hadnt bothered spending the money.
HUGE subject!!!

What we call ourselves IS important. It's an aspect of marketing that is woefully HTF in our field.

I've started discussions in the past on the meaning of the words Intuitive and Psychic.

Often, the difference between the two words is confused, and we use them as labels anyway.

But the real issues isn't what we think, but what the general public thinks, and what the general public wants for descriptive labels.

If we ourselves have difficulty with intuitive/psychic – imagine what the general public thinks.

We say, “I'm not psychic, I'm a Tarot reader” and you've just opened the door for a 20-minute discussion on the differences and merits of all categories. The difference may make sense to you and I, but Aunt Maude will be lost. She doesn't get the differences, the subtleties, the...

Aunt Maude may tell you she goes to an “Intuitive Fairy Wing Reader”. But what's it really mean?

Is that reader any different than a “Psychic Blood Gutter Reader”?

Do we start policing ourselves, each other, “Hey – YOU'RE not psychic, YOU'RE intuitive!!!”

Not only do we confuse ourselves and each other, we confuse the general public.

Myself, I bill not myself, but what I do: “Readings – Tarot & Palms”. I keep it simple.

As for the rest of the readers out there?

I have enough trouble with my own life, I'm not gonna start telling the world what to do with theirs.

A label is a label.

Lead by example. (that's a suggestion not a mandate...)

ETA: and yeah - what franniee said, transcend the cards...