A bit of an odd question...

MissJo

Can the sitters feelings toward Tarot affect the reading?

I ask this because I did a reading for a skeptic and it didn't answer his question... but I do believe it was relevant. I've narrowed it down to my own feelings (I was a little stressed) or his feelings towards Tarot, but of course I'm going to put the blame on myself. But I am a curious little kitty, and I can associate his attitude to some, if not all, of the cards.

poivre

Yes...

don't let their feelings bother you personally.
Sometimes...you can be 100% correct and their energy is so strong
that it makes you feel you are wrong but you are right.

Read the cards, use your own truth and let the sitter deal with the information.

poivre
:)

MissJo

Okay, then that makes a lot of sense... I think the cards were concentrating more on his attitude than his question.

I know the truth so I'm not putting so much pressure on myself for it, but I was just wondering what was up with my reading. Can't get them all, and in the words of a very good friend... they'll see the truth for themselves eventually.

minotaur

I wouldn't read for a skeptic. They probably can't be satisfied...Dr. Phil calls people like this "right-fighters".

If you didn't answer their question they will use it as proof of their beliefs.

If you did they will find some way to explain it away.

kisou

I wouldn't read for a skeptic. They probably can't be satisfied...Dr. Phil calls people like this "right-fighters".

I also don't read for skeptics. Not because I have it out against them, but I just don't think the reading will give them anything of value rather than to just pick on me!

Also, it must be said that if you're like me and believe that tarot readings come about by the energy around a sitter + the question they pose, then whatever their state at the time will affect the reading. If they're a downright hater, then the cards pick up that energy and will not cooperate!

SunChariot

I ask this because I did a reading for a skeptic and it didn't answer his question... but I do believe it was relevant. I've narrowed it down to my own feelings (I was a little stressed) or his feelings towards Tarot, but of course I'm going to put the blame on myself. But I am a curious little kitty, and I can associate his attitude to some, if not all, of the cards.

In a sense yes. When we do Tarot readings we are dealing with an intelligent force that sends us the answers (whatever it is you consider tha to be). It can at times refuse to answer if it chooses.It wants to help us, but does not like to be tested or to waste its time. And this is what happens when we ask the same question over and over repeatedly and we start getting nonsense answers (the source that is sending us the answers no longer feels like answering after having told us repeatedly already).

If the querent is a true skeptic and the source that sends the answers KNOWS that whatever answer it gives the querent will not believe if or ridicule it, the "source" may refuse to play that game and refuse to answer. Then again you would just get random cards and a nonsense answer.

I personally do not read for skeptics. My feelings it is that the cards don't like to be tested and it is not my job to convince people. When they are willing to come to me with an open mind, then i will read for them.

Babs

SunChariot

If you didn't answer their question they will use it as proof of their beliefs.

If you did they will find some way to explain it away.

My thoughts exactly!

Babs

MissJo

If the querent is a true skeptic and the source that sends the answers KNOWS that whatever answer it gives the querent will not believe if or ridicule it, the "source" may refuse to play that game and refuse to answer. Then again you would just get random cards and a nonsense answer.

I was reading with my Mystic Faerie, which is what I have to been a very patient deck. I swear the reading was addressing his attitude towards me than anything, really...

The first card, what he needed to know about the question, I got the Knave of Swords. A young an intelligent girl that was a bit immature, he kept calling me very intelligent and thought it was immature that I read Tarot.

Second card was his position, the Ten of Wands. A position of burden..

Third card, what he needed to do was the fool The Fool, my first thought was trust the unknown, trust the Tarot.

Important advice was the Three of Cups... be positive, stop relying so much on intelligence so much maybe?

I kept getting the feeling it was about a relationship, the more I think about it the more I think it's me the cards were talking about.

I didn't bring this up to him though. I suppose I could have, I just apologized for the reading, told him whatever he thought did not matter because the cards had proved themselves to me before, and bid him a nice day.

MareSaturni

I usually refuse to read for people who want to 'test me' (and sadly many skeptics do that). But if I notice that they have a real desire to challenge their own beliefs and are curious about tarot, then I'll happily read for them.

I have noticed in my practice that when a person does not want to know the answer or is not receptive to the message of the cards, the cards often will not answer the question very well. Because in my belief, what 'guides' the cards is our intention - our desire to know. The cards will never go against you or your sitter's intention. So if he doesn't want to know the answer or if he is sure it will be irrelevant to him, the cards will not shove it down his throat.

This usually results in rather dull readings that give very general answers.

So yes, it is possible that your sitter's lack of receptivity affected the reading. :D