A "no question" Reading

Ruby Jewel

I'm curious to know how other tarot readers handle a reading for a client who doesn't want to reveal the question. I feel that without a specific question, I can't really focus in on the story that the cards are telling because there is no context for the individual cards to fit into. It is true that the answer is in the cards, but an answer to what?

Grizabella

In that case, you have to just look at the cards and read what you see in them by determining what cards there are the most of, for one thing. For instance, if there are a lot of Cups cards, the issue might deal with something emotional or with a relationship. If there are more Pentacles, then it may predominantly deal with issues like money, property, etc. If you're not an experienced reader, you may have a little bit of a problem at first with reading like this, but it can be done.

You as the reader, though, have the right to stipulate the conditions with which you want to read. If she wants a reading and your preferred method of reading is to have a question to go by, then just tell her that.

Also, you could just tell her that instead of a question, you'd like her to at least tell you whether the issue deals with work, love, family life, or something else. Then you have something to give you at least an area of focus and that helps.

Good luck. It's very common for a sitter not to state a question. As you gain more experience, you'll be able to work with that kind of reading more easily.

gregory

I much prefer what I term "general" readings. I find them less restrictive. If there is an issue I rely on the cards to find it.

nisaba

I'm curious to know how other tarot readers handle a reading for a client who doesn't want to reveal the question. I feel that without a specific question, I can't really focus in on the story that the cards are telling because there is no context for the individual cards to fit into. It is true that the answer is in the cards, but an answer to what?

I have a spread that pulls three cards for each of these: home and family, money and business, relationships and health (emotional and physical). The three cards are the present, the way forward and likely outcomes. It basically gives an overview of the outer parameters of someone's life. Depending on where the "hotspots" are - the more intense cards - I can then sometimes pull more cards for those areas to decide what their best course of action is. Seems okay for me - the vast majority of clients come to the table without a question.

Barleywine

I always read without have an openly stated question, and just let the cards speak freely, answering what they will. I bounce questions about relevance off of the querent as the reading goes along to verify and adjust.

Grizabella

I think the main thing with all readers is that they find their own style that they know is going to get the best information from the cards and they just go with it. For me, I do it different ways, depending on many things. If someone doesn't want to ask a question, then I just wing it.

i've had a few instances where the sitter has said they didn't have a question and just wanted a general reading but at the end they've said they really wanted to know something the reading didn't touch on, but when that happens, then I just go ahead and put out some more cards for what they really wanted to know. It amuses me, mostly, but I also understand that sometimes they really get a little stymied with not knowing quite what to ask to begin with. At any rate, I always make sure they go away having addressed what they wanted to know.

Ruby Jewel

Reading without context

You guys are the greatest. Thanks for your responses. I recently had a reading that the woman didn't want to give me a question. All she wanted was a "general" reading, but it turned out at the end of the reading that she actually did have a question in her mind and it was about her mother who was dying with Alzheimers. Both the Judgment card and the Death card appeared right away in the spread, which, in a general reading, I interpreted as her personal transformation. At the end of the reading she revealed to me what was on her mind and the cards took on a very specific meaning regarding "memory" in the Judgment card, the Death card, and her inheritance indicated by the last two cards which were the Six and Ace of pentacles. In other words, knowing the question put a completely different interpretation on the cards. As it turned out, the real reading didn't begin until she revealed the question. Maybe like the "Soup Natzi", I'll be the "Tarot Natzi" in the future....."no tarot for you!!" (.....without the question.)

Ruby Jewel

Thanks

Grizabella, I like your attitude. I could put out more cards myself, but the spread I was using was already 24 cards and it was an hour-long reading. However, she was a "happy camper" when she left. Like you, I can't let a customer go away unhappy....so I do whatever I need to do to insure a good reading. Thanks so much for you awesome input here.

QueenOfWands206

more cards are better.

I personally use 4 cards for the Why spread.

.......1.top card. Explain the situation......

2. Two cards under that. 3. Tell why it is that wway

.........4. Outcome card at the bottom.......

Having more cards makes it easier because it explain more. I don't ever use one card yes///no.

Zedrex

I'll do that reading as a general. But if I can whinge for a second, I find it extremely unhelpful when querents approach their readings this way. I can understand someone who genuinely has difficulty articulating an issue that is close to or troubling to them, but more often than not I get this "you're the magic one - read my mind!" approach. In those cases, the querent's hostility and reluctance to contribute to the process is going to make for a so-so reading at best.