Sabian Symbols Study Group: Cancer 16 - #106

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: CANCER
Degree: 16
Number: 106

Symbol: A MAN STUDYING A MANDALA IN FRONT OF HIM, WITH THE HELP OF A VERY ANCIENT BOOK.

tink27

Okay, I’m going to see if I can relate to this symbol in lesser sentences and perhaps less exuberance. I’ve been on a ‘high’ lately with these symbols and they’ve given me lots to think about. There’s still one more symbol in Cancer for me (4 in total!), then on to Leo, my ascendant and my North Node. I’m getting clearer on my next challenge, my next goal in life. It’s becoming clearer with each symbol, especially in Cancer. So I want to apologize for being so Leo-headed….but my gosh this is exciting!! Oops! Sorry!

Mandala’s are usually circular in design and seen as a window, or a gateway that leads into our most private and powerful sources of power. In the other symbol we enjoyed coming together with others, sharing, learning, digesting, integrating new thoughts and experiences. Now we are bringing it together in a more intelligent design (geometric design) and rebuilding something new and more effective to fuse together our present and (the wise old man) our link back to creation itself.

The first time I heard of the word Mandala was in the last year of high school. With a large colorful piece of poster board, we drew a huge circle and divided it into four parts (four goals…e.g., health, home, relationships, money)…..in the center we were to place a powerful spiritual figure who we would look upon to help us attain our goals. A list (ancient book) of different shapes and symbols and their archetypical meanings was given to each student in the class.

We were told to create our mandala (treasure map) creatively, colorfully and with lots of imagination! But do this in private he said, we were not discuss it or reveal it to anyone. The wise teacher said ‘be very quiet about what you are doing’. He told us not reason out how our desire would manifest or mentally force it into being. Just picture it and mentally enjoy the picture!

tink

huredriel

My very very first post in this Study Group *HUGE gulp* ...... so if it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing, you're right ...... and please point me in the right direction. Haven't the book, so intuitively from the title:

Cancer ..... at home in the Moon ....... emotions, childhood, the feminine. Brings to mind the crab ........ the shell ...... and how when things are too hurtful ...... retreating into said shell for protection.

16 and 106 ..... both a 1 and 6 ..... brings to mind qualities of Magician and Lovers ....... assertiveness ...... determination ....... energy ...... harmony .... choices ..... things that pull at the heart .... and core of a being.

A mandala ..... a round circle ..... a wheel ...... denoting that everything in life is circular. An ancient book ...... wisdom and knowledge helping in the search ..... search for possible perfection (no holes in the circle) ..... a circle is whole ..... like the shape of the Moon ...... possibly seeking wholeness of the soul?

x Huredriel

tink27

huredriel said:
My very very first post in this Study Group *HUGE gulp* ...... so if it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing, you're right ...... and please point me in the right direction. Haven't the book, so intuitively from the title:

Cancer ..... at home in the Moon ....... emotions, childhood, the feminine. Brings to mind the crab ........ the shell ...... and how when things are too hurtful ...... retreating into said shell for protection.

16 and 106 ..... both a 1 and 6 ..... brings to mind qualities of Magician and Lovers ....... assertiveness ...... determination ....... energy ...... harmony .... choices ..... things that pull at the heart .... and core of a being.

A mandala ..... a round circle ..... a wheel ...... denoting that everything in life is circular. An ancient book ...... wisdom and knowledge helping in the search ..... search for possible perfection (no holes in the circle) ..... a circle is whole ..... like the shape of the Moon ...... possibly seeking wholeness of the soul?

x Huredriel

Ohhh Huredriel welcome! How intuitive you are! I don't have the book either. I just sort of let the words swirl around and until something inside me says bingo!

Yes I see the 1 as the magician and the 6 as the lovers...I like that analogy. But don't forget the "0" its our special gifts that snuggles between the magician and the lovers!

What a wonder observation....and of course the Moon that takes us to the depths of our psyches.

tink

tink27

The Pancreas (located in the center of our upper abdomen)

My brother died of diabetes at an early age. The pancreas is not only vital for our digestive system, secreting digestive fluids and the hormone insulin, but for the metabolism of sugar which our cells, muscles and nerves require. It is a very important endocrine gland. Diabetes is when someone cannot utilize that sugar, which is then excreted in their urine.

Gourmet foods are so rich, a lot of them are not able to be assimilated into our system. The pancreas breaks our foods down into three groups, carbohydrates, fats and proteins. When the pancreas is overstimulated with too much sugar and fats, excess insulin is pumped into our bodies to counteract it. When this happens, our blood sugar levels drop dramatically, we can feel very light headed, dizzy or even lose consciousness.

Not enough sugar results in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) another disease that has only recently been noticed by doctors.

But the pancreas isn’t just about the sweets in our life, its job is to separate all elements and find ways of assimilating them. It is a symbol of converting all our experiences into learning. Self examination is the key to the pancreas and enjoying the sweeter things in life.

tink

Elven

Welcome Huredriel!!! :D :D

What an intuitive post!!! -from the book, this is one symbol that mentions the Tarot - as a map of gaining insight - as a mandala - we concentrate and draw wisdom form it - we see patterns emerge, and connections - and our intuition rises, bringing us the answers we need ... Lyndas words are "astrology, numerology, tarot"! Strategic planning!

You included all of them!!!

Post away girl!!! you got lots to say!!! and lots for us to learn from you!! Thankyou huredriel! Looking forward to many more of your intuitive thoughts!!

Many Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Huredriel, HI and how PERFECT your post is, I often interpret a symbol in exactly the same way :) looking at the elements then feeling what is appropriate for me. Thank you so much for joining us!

Tink - what an amazing teacher you had - what a wonderfu gift he gave you, to support this in someone at such an important part of your life.

Ill have a think about this one and post later - it does remind me of eastern philosophies and of course MONKS chanting, the impermanence of things - the mandala (sand) and our outreaching to make it more permanent with a book - the written word - words vs. pictures too..

Simone

Mandalas, my big passion!

Not the highly structured tibetan ones, those are rather too complicated, yet too defined with symbolism, for me.

I have been studying geometrical form within a circle, be it celtic, native indian, african, arabian, and I have been doing my own thing (my tarot deck) - though I have been stagnant for a while now.

Only recently have I taken it up again, but nothing for my deck :( - not yet in any case. But - the circle endlessly fascinates me :D

Back on the symbol, i guess we are talking about one of those buddhist ones though, like this one.

They are full of symbolism, not one grain of sand in them that is there without a purpose. (how they are done - look at those incredible details! - several pages of pics, worth it!!)

Each and every one of those symbols is incredibly ancient so here is where the ancient book comes in. To properly understand them, you need to delve deep into the history and culture of the Tibetans.

Now - understanding them... here's the catch. They are not really made to be understood, although that will help in the (relatively) short run. Relatively because of all the time it takes!

They are a means of meditation. Concentration, focus, purpose.

And very telltale: they are blown away once they are finished, usually.

We peeps will say "WHAT??!! after all that painstaking work that has gone into those, they are simply destroyed??!!"

This is the point however, part of the meditation: to learn non-attachment, and to make for the sake of making, not for the glory of the ego. To create as if nothing else mattered, yet not to attach any much importance to it so you can let go of it imediately.

This man studying it is lucky: it is one of the preserved ones. Now it is HIS job to find out all that has gone into it...

tink27

Simone said:
Mandalas, my big passion!

Not the highly structured tibetan ones, those are rather too complicated, yet too defined with symbolism, for me.

I have been studying geometrical form within a circle, be it celtic, native indian, african, arabian, and I have been doing my own thing (my tarot deck) - though I have been stagnant for a while now.

Only recently have I taken it up again, but nothing for my deck :( - not yet in any case. But - the circle endlessly fascinates me

Simone, these are beautiful....I love how you've done this....the images are arousing, stimulating and flowing...their geometric shapes help my mind to concentrate and in turn triggers something deeper inside me.

I love your passion!

tink

Simone

Thank you tink :D *blush*