Feeling tired/sleepy while doing a reading?

DaughterOfDanu

I've had this issue for some time now, and was curious if anyone has suggestions that may help.

When I begin a reading I soon after find myself in a very calm and focused state. Which is great, but not long after that comfortable feeling gets too comfortable and I become sleepy- as if I need a nap. This happens whether I approach the reading well rested or not. It mostly happens when I'm doing readings for others and happens quickest when I'm doing an in depth reading online through email. It does also does happen with face to face readings, though the lethargy takes longer to develop. It gets irritating and can make my readings drag on and take me much longer than it should. It's a downer going from feeling inspired and motivated to being tempted to take a break and go catch a quick nap in no time.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's encountered this :) What have others done to stay energized and focused throughout a reading?

CrystalSeas

Water or hot tea.

Amanda

I struggle with this as well. I do (paid) readings daily (7 days a week) and I think I'm just over-doing it a bit. I can go into it perfectly pepped up and ready to go, but be zapped by the end of it. I finished up my readings for the day around 4pm today and felt the need to take a nap. I set the alarm on my phone for 6:30 and when it went off, I was definitely not ready to get up... I just felt like crap and like I still did not have enough rest. I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep for another 3 1/2 hours! I felt better around 10pm when I ultimately got up, but honestly, I probably could have slept the whole rest of the night. I'm just killing some time at this point before I go back to bed so I don't wake up super early tomorrow. LOL

If you feel like taking a nap, take a nap. Sleep is pretty important. I also think that maybe I've not been getting enough water recently, and that lack is slowing me down.

Saskia

I suspect that when we read (especially if your style is more meditative than analytical/logical), the brain goes to a specific type of state that's closer to sleep than fully awake.

The brain has many states that depend on the frequency (hertz) of the electro-chemical activity between neurons and "slowing down" the brain activity (the cycles or beats of the wave) makes us approach the dream state.

This slowing down happens while meditating or letting the mind daydream to be creative. Read more about the different brainwaves from for example here, finerminds, or here brainworksneurotherapy.

I think that because a tarot reading is not daydreaming or meditation as such, but it's structured, it's a combination of slowing down the brain frequency and working on full steam, and could cause the fast-occurring sleepiness.

I don't get sleepy while doing online readings, probably because of the typing required (active thinking), but after doing even one face-to-face reading I feel like a nap. It's much harder work for the mind than it seems!

Cocobird55

I read for a website, and when I get tired, I walk around for a while and get myself a cup of coffee and do something else while I'm drinking it. I go back to reading when I feel more awake -- it usually doesn't take very long.

AnemoneRosie

I pretty much have to read with (caffeinated) tea.

uraszz

I've had this issue for some time now, and was curious if anyone has suggestions that may help.

When I begin a reading I soon after find myself in a very calm and focused state. Which is great, but not long after that comfortable feeling gets too comfortable and I become sleepy- as if I need a nap. This happens whether I approach the reading well rested or not. It mostly happens when I'm doing readings for others and happens quickest when I'm doing an in depth reading online through email. It does also does happen with face to face readings, though the lethargy takes longer to develop. It gets irritating and can make my readings drag on and take me much longer than it should. It's a downer going from feeling inspired and motivated to being tempted to take a break and go catch a quick nap in no time.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's encountered this :) What have others done to stay energized and focused throughout a reading?

I'm not a professional reader so I don't do readings for others that much but when I do I feel the same thing. It drains me so much to read for others that I'm truly contemplating not to read for anyone ever again. This could also be my changing view on tarot though...

Anyway

When I feel like this and if I can I excuse myself, I go to the bathroom to splash some water on my face and take a few deep breaths

-uraszz

JustJazzie

I don't apply this only to reading, but energy levels in general.
In fact- building energy has been the major focus of mine for the last year or so.
Here are a few things that help me.

Before reading, spend a few moments in the yoga pose downward facing dog. (Yes, I've even done this in friends bathrooms before when I needed a quick boost while out!)
It gets the blood flowing, and quickly! A nice way to boost before starting.

I've more recently been playing with the pranayama technique "breath of fire" which is quite invigorating.

But what I find the most helpful, by and far- is playing music. For reading, I turn on reiki music, or some classical orchestra numbers. Piano guys and Lindsey sterling are pretty fantastic. Energizing music, without words.

But no matter what, I do build in rest time. It's the yin to my yang and just as important!

Oh yeah! I never do a reading without crystals nearby. Both for energy and protection!
I recommend selenite and rutilated Quartz for energy.

NamasteIndia

same issues here.

feeling exhausted and tired and sleepy after online reading

I read for exchanges or feedback on AT.

Feel very drowsy