Tarot Journaling

kittydorkdork

I am terrible at keeping journals. I've moved a lot so I am always losing them or getting separated from them for a long time. I just got a tarot journal back after not having it for over 5 years. So I've resigned myself to keeping a tarot blog. I really enjoy handwriting but a blog is the perfect solution for me.

I can type so much faster than write so I'm able to get thoughts out a lot faster and I can write a lot more. I can also organize my thoughts on a reading to make it easier to digest.

I can easily acess my blog if I'm on the go and want to look at something. Easier than carrying an extra book everywhere.

I can't lose a blog during a move and it's all safe and saved on the internet. Worst that can happen is I get hacked but that's why I do backups.

I can make posts private if I feel the need to but I'm an oversharer :)

It helps me organize readings exactly how I want them.

I can use it to connect with people. So I don't use it just to record personal readings but as a way of sharing tarot related thoughts with others.

Now I do have a neat little book I keep on my alter that I thought I might keep some tarot and related things in. So far I just have a couple spreads. Its probably going to be more like a witchy art project more than anything.

Karina01

This sounds like a really good idea. I keep intending to do something like this and never do. So. Maybe this general post will light a fire under my ass.

(Sorry, I've been a lurker for a while, nothing since my age old introduction post. But, hey. Here now)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mercuryempress

I have to say that since this thread I've been using my evernote app a lot more and I am loving it.

Honeysun

For Tarot, I use a regular notebook :) I do daily draws sometimes and write a few basic meanings, and at the end of the day I write feedback. I also write down spreads and my personal experience with cards.
And for Lenormand, I use this forum :) I have my own journal and I find it easier to type everything up. I can update the posts anytime I want and I tend to write a lot. It takes much less time than keeping a notebook.

Erebella

I love this thread! I hadn't even considered Evernote/One Note until now, and I just created my "Book of Shadows" notebook! :D

I plan on having multiple different mediums for saving my work with Tarot. It's a bit messier, BUT sometimes I feel like I NEED to write stuff down and other times, especially with a ton on information, it's more practical to note it digitally.

Also, at the moment, I am without a proper notebook to put my notes. I am picky about where I keep the information that is important to me, so I'm really waiting to get myself a nice leather journal with the Tree of Life on the cover before I begin taking notes by hand.

And I keep a blog. This does SO many good things for me. First, it makes me feel more accountable to study daily, read cards daily, and to post regularly. As I (hopefully) grow in readership, the accountability will only increase! Also, doing this forces me to synthesize complex information in a way that makes the post easier to read and understand. When I have trickier spreads or a daily draw that just isn't resonating with me, often I will have the big revelation in the middle of writing my blog post about it. I would honestly recommend everyone new to tarot try out this method, even if only writing for yourself and not sharing it with the world. Not that I'm an expert - I'm new myself - but I can't imagine trying to decipher spreads without the added need to condense information and "tell a story" on my blog.

So I guess those are my main methods as of now, but I suspect this OneNote journal will quickly become the Grimoire of my dreams! ;)

Sassyinkpen

I'm really enjoying this thread and all the different ideas, etc.

Right now I'm waffling between digital journals and paper ones, and I can't really settle on which format I like best.

I have a couple OneNote notebooks and I do save tarot and spiritual things in there. I LOVE that I can post the link to a Youtube vid and it will actually embed the video into my page! I also love being able to add images and links. I like the ability to pull up a reading at work if I have a new insight during the day.

I would really love to just make my whole journaling set-up be online....but I'm having a hard time getting over having a computer sitting on the table while I read tarot.

I know that if I'm referencing a spread, I prefer to have a book or paper in front of me, not a screen. Maybe I can start a reading with some paper for notes, and once I've sat with it a while, then pull out the computer and start writing it up.

delinfrey

I have lots and lots of notebooks and journals... with only a couple pages filled in... Never really stuck with it.

But I do have some notebooks that have stuck:

- my "Book of Shadows" notebook, 10+ years old. Normal squared notebook, some flowers on the cover, has all "magical" info I need - runes, Tree of Life correspondences, Tarot, Armanen Runes, different alphabets, sabbaths...

- my dream journal, 5+ years old, Edgar Allan poe-themed. Don't record dreams often, just when they are really significant

- tarot readings journal - a nice Paperblank book, where I record my readings (and thus, spreads). One reading per page. I have been thinking to print out some of the cards from the readings/colour copy them, to paste them on the pages.

- small journal to work with Sandra Kunz's Messenger Cards. I copied the images in a tiny format, pasted them on the pages and write about the cards.

Fikt

It's interesting that so many people use Evernote - I agree it is a great tool! There are basically three parts to my "system".

I always have a hardbound journal that I tend to carry with me. It is not for any specific purpose, and is used for everything from grocery lists to scheduling to journaling. I have it out when I do a reading (for myself; I've never read for another person), and I record the cards there, as well as my thoughts on what they mean. This is natural, maybe even necessary, for me to do to figure things out. However, while I do keep old journals and I like to look back through them sometimes, their primary purpose is not really long-term storage of information.

I have also been adding pictures of readings to Google Keep (also where I keep my primary to-do list and random notes on many things, including tarot), along with the date and notes about it and the conclusions I came to. This is meant to be a long-term record of readings I do, but I'm not 100% sure how long I'll stick with it.

And I recently made an Evernote notebook dedicated to tarot! This is a collection of general information I find, as well as my notes on each card. I don't actually have a complete collection of notes on cards yet, as I am doing it in a very piecemeal fashion. Some of them have a lot more information than others. Most are a mix of information I found and copied in, as well as my own thoughts and impressions. I like to add a picture of the card, and sometimes add color or styling to the text for emphasis, or even add other images and quotes related to that card's meaning. I am still internalizing the meanings of the cards, so I have this at hand (on my phone) when I am reading and it's the first place I check for each card. If I pull a card that I haven't added yet to Evernote, I will add it then. Also, if I stumble across something about a card that I just have to remember or think is very clever, I will make a note for that card.

blackmoonbee

Wow I never thought to use my OneNote. I use OneNote for my coursework and research but now I'm going to use it for Tarot!

Diege

I use this Mac App called, "DayOne", it's basically this journal app that let's you add photos and other things in your daily entries, it's very helpful!