Study Hall #1

pacificwaters

The Nature of the Majors is that they represent Universal Forces, and they are far more powerful, or 'louder' than the minors. FOr example, the Ace of wands, 3 of wands and Fool can all refer to new beginnings, but the Fool says it far louder, and usually refers to something out of your control. Likewise the Fortune card represents change, whatever is will no longer be, and the Moon represents fantasy, illusion, or things not being what they seem. Either way, they are all things that are larger than you are, if that makes sense

"Speaking louder" :) love the way you say it

Jes

Re alyna

I looked at the study hall exchanges thread and would like to ask something about the reading you did for your partner.

You mentioned an advice card at the end, so you pulled that card off the deck or was that the bottom/shadow card which you considered as advice card?

Thank you

Hi there,

When I do a reading and get the the end I add up the minors to get a number less than 22, which can then be represented by a major arcana card. I use this card to advice on the whole reading. It's usually just a sentence that helps give the sitter something feel good.

So if I did a 5 card reading and had:
Empress, 4 cups, queen wands, 7 swords, 10 swords, I would work out as
4+7+10=21 = judgement as the advice card. (some people take the sum down to single figures, so 21 would become 3 = empress, I dont though)

It's just something I picked up a long time ago and have kept doing. I don't *always* do it, but most times I do.

Hope this helps.
:)

pacificwaters

Discussion: Oct 1-8

Well, I will start my discussion for this week with my overall practice of Tarot and how I am going about it in general currently.

The book that I am reading towards understanding Tarot is the 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. Why I picked this book – well, I heard that it is an authority on Tarot and a good book for beginners to understand what Tarot is all about. I did have two books with me before I got this one but they were more about certain nouns and adjectives to describe a particular card. I have never been one to like this and I felt that maybe this book would guide me for the WHY.

However when I started out I was a bit disappointed considering the layers of philosophy this book contained. Bu,t however as time progressed and I kept at this book, I realized that Tarot is more than just symbology which I had initially assumed. I realized that Pollack is definitely talking sense (I think I don’t even qualify to issue that statement, but nevertheless ;) ). The way she presented the Major Arcana advance as a life cycle… like the cards from The Magician – The Chariot (Card 1 – Card 7) being about Self, Strength – Temperance (Card 8 – Card 14) being about the mental plane of mind of the individual and cards from The Devil – The World (Card 15 – Card 21) being about the spiritual aspect, with The Fool all about the beginning of the journey one embarks on was interesting to read.

Not just from the philosophical bent but the way Pollack has linked different cultures with the symbols on the Tarot cards (and hence the overall meanings) – just for an example the lingam (a Hindu representation of Lord Shiva) on The Chariot card (implying unification of male and female energy or the conscious and unconscious for an overall victory) or say the pose of the hermaphrodite dancing figure in The World card (resembling Lord Nataraj in his dancing poise. Not just Hindu symbolisms, but even the Buddhist and Jewish references (which are aplenty) which she has talked about and their interpretation like say, the scroll titled TORA (its reference to Jewism) in the hand of The High Priestess have definitely opened up aspects which I wasn’t aware of. I have just about finished the Major Arcana and now plan to start with the Minor Arcana soon.

No doubt I always wanted to write down about each cards (the way it is said everywhere – what they feel to you) but I started this only after I joined this Study Hall. Until then it was all about taking down notes from Pollack’s book or from what I learned in discussions at AT. Another thing that had often struck me was numerology and Tarot. Liked the way @jes has given one of her takes in the Study Hall.

This said, how I go about readings, well I am a bit into certain “rituals” but I have decided to keep it within check lest it translates into an OCD ;)

Cheers..!!

Zechariah13

Hi there,

4+7+10=21 = judgement as the advice card. (some people take the sum down to single figures, so 21 would become 3 = empress, I dont though)

Just to clarify and avoid the potential incoming mod-wrath, this doesnt count as something that should be in "Your readings" or Using Tarot Cards, does it? or does the concept of a study group override typical forum guidelines?

Zechariah13

response to Pacific waters discussion Oct1-8

woudlnt all those lovely symbols greatly depend on the deck youre using? I know that my chariot has an absurd amount of Crab imagery, because it is the trump of Cancer, but has nothing to do with Shiva.

pacificwaters

You are absolutely right Zechariah about the deck aspect.The 78 degrees of wisdom is however predominantly based on the RWS deck.I therefore assumed that i wouldn't have to mention it separately.guess i need to be more careful the next time

Zechariah13

response to pacificwaters card of week

Overall, i hate the RWS imagery. ENTIRELY. but i'll give it a shot

Deck: RWS
Card: The Hierophant

Well, the moment I saw this card, the first thing that came to my mind were the two pillars and more surprisingly the color of the two pillars – light brown. Both have identical colors, something which is not the case for The High Priestess - the female counterpart of the Hierophant (one pillar for the High Priestess is White and the other is black).
really? i always saw the hierophant as a far distant yet connected force to the HP, while she is the counterpart of the magician. Like, the HP is the Moon, and the Hierophant is (i think) either fixed or cardinal earth. eons away frome each other methinks.
This made me check up one more card and the card that first came up was Justice. It too had two pillars of the same color (I didn’t look into any more cards coz I didn’t want to stray from the Hierophant). But, looking back at just these two cards – The Hierophant and Justice v/s The High Priestess….. well, the High Priestess is a bit about mystery – the other person not knowing what exactly is in her mind, while the Hierophant and Justice are not those type of cards. What I mean is that there is no mystery for these two – the facts are out in the open! Is that the reason for the similar color of the pillars???
true. the Hierophant doesnt deal in hidden wisdom revealed through revelation and insight (HP), but deals in the wisdom gained through experience, written, tried and true lessons and morals for the betterment of life. He is discipline in understanding.

The very next thought, that came to me was that this card had appeared in a reading I had once done for my sister and that in that reading this card was indicating my sister’s then boss. To elaborate, this card had come at a place in a spread for a location marked – obstacles in your path. The Hierophant is no doubt a good card, so when this card came as an obstacle I was definitely surprised. (this was the first time, The Hierophant had appeared in any readings I had done. Hence the memory!!) Anyways coming back, when I enquired with my sis, she said that though her boss was the least controlling, gave her all sorts of liberty and no doubt was a "good" boss, but she just didn’t like it with him (the reason for this even she didn’t know) So is the Hierophant inhibitive/controlling?? I mean in the card picture you see him as addressing some people (2 guys) who are definitely junior to him (lack of headgear). What is the address about? Is it admonishment or rather, is he guiding them??
the Hierophant CAN be controlling and/or inhibitive. But, at his core, he his structure and guidlines for living, similar to the Emperor, who rules justly and with a somewhat rigid structure, as is needed. Structures CAN inhibit, but only when extended beyond their intended purpose.

The next thing I observed was the overflowing gown and I somehow felt the color “red” is dominating the Heirophant card! Does color have any significance in Tarot readings?? Personally for me, red has always been something to fear. So is it admonishment that the Hierophant is giving?? Why is he pointing his fingers upwards?? Is he showing them the way towards enlightenment? Why has he used two fingers instead of the usual one when pointing upwards? Does it have any special significance? Why is his face expressionless?
i think the red comes from the Catholic Church, where im pretty sure the cardinals and the pope (the Heirophant was called the Pope in the earliest renditions) wore some amount of red in their garments. That might have something to do with the emotionless thing too.

At his feet there are two keys placed in a cross. Why the cross? Is he admonishing them and has he taken away their keys or is he pointing upwards and telling them – Dudes, these are your symbolic keys to reach the Lord.
I think i would stick with the later one. The keys to wisdom are there, and you simply need to humble yourself (kneel) and take them
The two people before him are possibly standing (just a feel). Why are their backs towards me? Is it pointing to some facet of mystery? Is the card hiding something (just on the lines of the High Priestess card, I compare it here because as mentioned previously, the Hierophant is the male counterpart, as well of the higher order). The two guys before the Hierophant have yellow on their clothes , whereas yellow has graduated to the head gear and the very same yellow is not even a bit on the clothes of the Hierophant. Yellow color can be considered symbolic of gold. Is it hinting at decoration of head gear with this color to indicate the highest position (which he definitely is at) or is it a respect for the level of knowledge he possesses?
realistically, their backs are to you because they are not talking to you, they have sought out the hierophant. Dont know what to make of the color yellow. i hate yellow.

What is the yellow wand in the Hierophant’s left hand? Why does it have 3 horizontal sticks with each increasing in length as you go downwards? There are also three crosses in the central white pattern of the red robe. What do they indicate? Is the wand in the Hierophant’s hand symbolic of the power he wields??
no idea. but im sure if you look it up in an encyclopedia of symbols that it can be found.

Kosjitov

re Jes

That's the function of a "quintessential card" isn't it?

Hi there,

When I do a reading and get the the end I add up the minors to get a number less than 22, which can then be represented by a major arcana card. I use this card to advice on the whole reading. It's usually just a sentence that helps give the sitter something feel good.

It's just something I picked up a long time ago and have kept doing. I don't *always* do it, but most times I do.

Hope this helps.
:)

Kosjitov

Re: Zechariah

really? i always saw the hierophant as a far distant yet connected force to the HP, while she is the counterpart of the magician. Like, the HP is the Moon, and the Hierophant is (i think) either fixed or cardinal earth. eons away frome each other methinks.

Actually, the Hierophant is not associated with a planet but rather the sign of Taurus. Still an earthy alignment though, iirc.

true. the Hierophant doesnt deal in hidden wisdom revealed through revelation and insight (HP), but deals in the wisdom gained through experience, written, tried and true lessons and morals for the betterment of life. He is discipline in understanding.

He's education from society and other groups, including the church/religion; the Hierophant is the next stage in the journey of life. The Emperor and the Empress (mother and father) have already taught the Fool what he needs to know and are ready to let him splash into society's pool of learning (the Hierophant's domain). Therefore, some of the learning has been done prior and in a sandbox environment so you can't really claim it as universal learning. I would only indicate learning from outside the family structures, in society/at society's hands, or some institution whether religious or not with the Hierophant.

i think the red comes from the Catholic Church, where im pretty sure the cardinals and the pope (the Heirophant was called the Pope in the earliest renditions) wore some amount of red in their garments. That might have something to do with the emotionless thing too.

Red, the color of fire, of the south, of POWER and strength- associated with the wands suit

Dont know what to make of the color yellow. i hate yellow.

Yellow, the color of thought, air, and the east- associated with the swords suit.

You're a witch, I thought this sort of stuff made it to your BoS on day one :p ;) :D I know it did for me.

Zechariah13

Actually, the Hierophant is not associated with a planet but rather the sign of Taurus. Still an earthy alignment though, iirc.
Sorry, should have been clearer. I meant the elemental earth. the Zodiacal trumps are divided into elements, into cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable aspects. The Hierophant, The Devil, and the Hermit are the three Earth Zodiacal trumps. That was what i was reffering to.

He's education from society and other groups, including the church/religion; the Hierophant is the next stage in the journey of life. The Emperor and the Empress (mother and father) have already taught the Fool what he needs to know and are ready to let him splash into society's pool of learning (the Hierophant's domain). Therefore, some of the learning has been done prior and in a sandbox environment so you can't really claim it as universal learning. I would only indicate learning from outside the family structures, in society/at society's hands, or some institution whether religious or not with the Hierophant.
of course, i do beleive that is the basic RWS interp. My first deck didn't strictly adhere to that. ALong the similar lines, just not restricted to societal influence.
Red, the color of fire, of the south, of POWER and strength- associated with the wands suit

Yellow, the color of thought, air, and the east- associated with the swords suit.
now, the odd thing here, is that my hierophant isnt with these colors at all. mine is a dark robed, hooded figure with horns on a massive stone throne with skull detailing on it, covered in cobwebs.
You're a witch, I thought this sort of stuff made it to your BoS on day one :p ;) :D I know it did for me.
Well, for starters, my first deck didnt have this imagery. Second, my BoS is kinda lacking, as i am currently in a sort of broom closet as it were, and have next to maybe 3 hours a week for anything not school or work related, so yeah.