"Intuition" versus "book learned"

mollymawk

-----------------------

TheOld

there`s what i do,
i use many corespondency system and i let my intuition give me to usefull one for the reading.

some of my corespondency system are :

the 22 letter of the kabbalah
the astrological corespondency
the path on the tree of life
The glyph of the letter
What the card can tell me (like real people talking)
flash image i have
the tarot corespondency
Some image on the card
etc....

so first things to present to my mind by my intuition is the good one and i develop it to have the answers

Power
Omeada

Grizabella

Umbrae said:
That’s a good question! I wonder why nobody’s asked me before…?

Well, actually I did ask you once a year or two ago but it got lost in some other posts. :p

Umbrae said:
I took what is called (over here) a steno pad. A 6x9 spiral topped notbook. Pages turn up. When you fill out one side you flip it over and write on the other side of the pages.

Then I took my WCS.

Then I started with the Aces. Why are they alike? Why are they different? What one thing makes them all make sense?

Then I did that with the Two’s and Three’s all the way through. Sure the 5 of Cups guy has them spilt cups…but what about that bridge?

I don’t see the Four of Swords as necessarily following the Three of Swords. I see the Fours as Fours. The way I see the Four of Swords is that it’s morning. It’s wake-up time. We are on the cusp of moving from a four to a five, it’s very movement oriented. Where as the Three of Cups is very directional oriented, it’s not that he’s taking or ignoring, or waiting on taking the cup, it’s where the cup is – it describes a Z axis! And a Z axis comes in handy when you describe motion without directional movement…which means…just about the same as traditional meanings, but a circuitous route.

Sure the guy is carrying 10 staves…but what he’s going to do with them is far more interesting than what we see on the surface, good golly – we see him ‘going’, in a state of movement! So when I later pick up a book and see “burden” I’m left feeling empty. Burden does not express what the guy is doing.

So I wrote. I listened.

I like that----"I listened." I've gotten the impression from observing you around here that you're a keen listener. And a very deep thinker. And I think that even 30+ years into it, you still think deeply, listen keenly, and constantly learn more "stuff" like quantum physics and that snail thing to add to your knowledge of the cards.

Umbrae said:
Stories from others help…

Times change. Concepts, language and ideas that once were thought as being so, have been altered by time.

Back in ’93, my wife and I were in Israel, visiting her relatives. Her cousin Menya’s family had left Russia around 1918 or so, and moved to Harbin, China. Menya was raised in a Russian-Jewish community there, until he moved to Israel in 1948.

I asked Menya what the Russian word for Adventurer was. He thought for a bit and said there was not one. The concept of leaving your family, your village, and your duty to your family and village was shameful. This affected how I view both Le Bateleur and the Six of Swords, I think I mentioned this before…

Take the Six of Swords…why would a journey be a shameful act? Because your actions forced you to do what is now called a “Geographical.” Forced you to leave your family and village! The Shame! This is difficult to grasp in today’s culture. But we blithely repeat the Victorian meaning…history in the cards… I always thought of the Six of Swords as a changing of perspective…then my perspective changed.

Make sense?

Flexability and context - that's the key...

Yes, it does make sense to me.

And if anybody else here is listening, they'll learn a bunch from this post. It's not what you learn in books about tarot that makes tarot meaningful to you and gives you the card meanings----it's being a keen listener, a deep thinker, and taking everything you learn from everywhere and applying it to the cards. It's not compartmentalizing tarot into one little pocket-----it's living tarot every minute every day, even when you have to do other things---like Umbrae does.

Moonbow

I don't think intuition is opposed to book learned, I think both are good for different reasons and it comes down to balancing which to use for what.

When reading Tarot though, I think most new people make the mistake of trying to 'remember' meanings given to them... I know I did, and I guess that some of that is still there in my readings, but reading Tarot is more than that, it's about reading the cards, the scenes, the artwork, and puting those pictures into your own meanings using your own life experiences.

You become a reader when you 'read' the cards and not when you 'remember' someone else's meanings, and this is where intuition kicks in, (and yes I beleive in intuition, we all have it and most don't use it, or practice it).

I've written loads of journals because I'm the type of person that likes to write things down.

A card a day may seem laborious but by doing it you get your own meanings in 78 days :) - these may change, but its a good start.

gregory

Never mind a card a day - the 78 card study is a very good way to get the "bookwork" and "getting into the cards" done. A card a WEEK !

(I'm nearly finished, but a new one is about to start - and anyway you can start at any time !)

Listening - I ('d like to) think that's exactly what I do; listen to the CARDS!

And sometimes even become something in a card.
I've been a cloud, a butterfly, ......

firemaiden

Lyric said:
I like that----"I listened." I've gotten the impression from observing you around here that you're a keen listener. And a very deep thinker. And I think that even 30+ years into it, you still think deeply, listen keenly, and constantly learn more "stuff" like quantum physics and that snail thing to add to your knowledge of the cards.

That's Umbrae all right! That was a really interesting question from Little Buddha - about how Umbrae came up with the meanings with just the cards - it is a question I'd had, but never uttered. (yes, why?) It's a question about Umbrae's own process really. You know Mr. Umbrae ... that would be a really wonderful angle for a new installment of "The Process". (hint hint).