Fairytale Tarot: Tougher than it feels?

olivia1

Do you think MRP's Fairytale Tarot will hold up to years of daily use and "aggressive" shuffling? I have this deck and the one thing that irks me about it (physically) is that I feel I have to be extra gentle with it. To me, the cards feel on the thinner side ( at least its thinner than the Fenestra and LS Universal Tarot).

For those of you who have had this deck for years (and use it often), how did your deck hold up after years of use? I ask because I do use this deck a lot and I am not exactly a "gentle" shuffler. If I have to get a spare deck, I think now would probably be a good time (before prices go up).

Aulruna

The MRP decks are extremely lasting and become even more smooth and nice to touch after they're well broken in!

There are several threads here about the very special cardstock, I'll see if I can dig them up.

olivia1

Aulruna said:
The MRP decks are extremely lasting and become even more smooth and nice to touch after they're well broken in!

There are several threads here about the very special cardstock, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Thanks Aulruna :) I did notice they felt thinner but not exactly fragile, either...I am glad to know that this deck will only get better with age. Thanks :)

Aulruna

Found it :D

There is one thread here and baba's description of the method:

baba-prague said:
Now - not sure if I should say this, but you know the playing card stock we use now is MUCH more expensive than the stock we used for the ToP first edition. We had a long thread here ages back with some people saying they wanted more the normal playing card stock (with internal carbon layer - hence the expense) so we took a deep breath and moved to using that (which was a bit scary cost-wise). Hmm - well, the newer style stock is more robust you know, but I also sort of love the antique feel of the original.

Le Fanu

I feel that the Fairytale Tarot cardstock is the same as the Victorian Romantic, am I right?

These decks break in so well, and feel more and more comfortable with use. Like old slippers...

AJ

Griz is the only person here I know to have consistently used a Magic Realist deck, the Victorian Romantic. Many thousands of shuffles I'm sure. She said the other day what the deck was like now, I'll see if I can find her and have her comment.

Most of us would probably never use a deck enough to wear it out. Or wear one in even.

baba-prague

Le Fanu said:
I feel that the Fairytale Tarot cardstock is the same as the Victorian Romantic, am I right?

These decks break in so well, and feel more and more comfortable with use. Like old slippers...

Yes, we basically used the same cardstock on all decks from the Baroque Bohemian Cats onwards. It's different batches in some cases or from different suppliers, but it's the same spec, thickness, composition and so on. I think it's nice stock and wears well.