Fantastic Medical Tarot

nisaba

<checks again>

<notices warm fudge leaking from the ears, assumes that used to be brain>

<meekly> Yes, I'm an idiot.

It just would have fit with the general eccentricity of the deck, y'know.

It's going to be fun getting to know the symbolism of the deck. I already love the Hanged Foot.

photokat

nisaba said:
I glanced at a few of the cards in the beginning of the deck and got as far as the Chariot

Just ONE more, nisaba .... 'cause "Strength" is a Tumor.

If anyone could enlighten me on the symbolism on that one, it would be you.
Otherwise, I'll just have to give up, I think.

nisaba

photokat said:

Well, for enough tumour cells to survive the vicious onslaught of the immune system and clump together to become a tumour, they'd have to be very strong little buggers!

Friends of mine in the trade tell me that the most common pathology seen at autopsy of all people - murder victims, car accident victims, whatever, are tiny tumours, too small to have caused problems and been disgnosed yet. Anything smaller than a grain of rice is likely to be mopped up and destroyed by the immune system before the person is even aware of it. The tumour has to be really *strong* (or the immune system compromised and considerably weakened) to survive beyond that stage.

Yup, I get that. <nodding>

la-luna

nisaba said:
Yes, some more on this deck, culled from the postman thread.

The atrocious LWB says "22 MAjor Arcana" but a card that evidently is the world (at least, it's wrapped in a wreath) is 21, and I only got 21, and the LWB only lists 21.

I'm going to have to sit with the deck and try and work out which card the fruitcake author missed out on <grin>. I love eccentric decks. I'm happy the postman visited me today.

Does anyone know what he's done? I glanced at a few of the cards in the beginning of the deck and got as far as the Chariot, sort-of-recognising the symbolism, but after that I laid the deck aside in favour of logging on.

Has someone else worked out what card he forgot about?

There are 22 cards (as with all 3 his deck - they are strange in imagery but based in traditional tarot knowledge mixed with his personal interest, Dr Gomi is a medical doctor with his own 'little' clinic)

Sadly live and his many responsibilities has come between the dr and tarot so no more decks or expanded versions of his 3 decks (they where never intended to be)

Wendywu

photokat said:

Before I was diagnosed I drew Strength in just about every personal reading I did. Then I was diagnosed, had my surgeries and chemo and learned about personal strength on a daily basis for months. Not just from what I went through, but from the amazing people I met every day. The other patients (to a person they were incredible), the nurses, surgeons - right down to the ward cleaners who were so uncomplaining about their tasks and so cheerful as they did them.

I learned a different kind of strength for myself through it all. I have always been hugely independent. I had to find the inner strength to accept people's help with grace, and to understand that they gave their time, love and help freely as gifts.

So for me, Strength shown as a tumour is incredibly apt because my tumours taught me about personal strength in so many ways :)

photokat

la-luna said:
Sadly live and his many responsibilities has come between the dr and tarot so no more decks or expanded versions of his 3 decks (they where never intended to be)

Where can I get more information on this lovely man?

Cassandra022

I find this deck rather disturbing :0

amethyst57

interesting premise for deck, but look kinda like med student flash cards...

photokat

Wendywu said:
So for me, Strength shown as a tumour is incredibly apt because my tumours taught me about personal strength in so many ways :)

Thanks for your perspective (and nisaba's). To me, tumors meant usually losing someone close to me, I never thought of it the other way.

That's why I love this forum, I always learn something new here every day.

la-luna

photokat said:
Where can I get more information on this lovely man?

sadly some years after publishing his decks he cut of his contacts with everyone in the tarotworld and solely concentrated upon his clinic and what he saw as his duty as a doctor towards his community
(so I got this info from one who knew him and corresponded often with him till at a certain moment Dr Gomi, who also had contacts with many other big tarot personalities like Frank Jensen, turned inwards into his community and his patients)