Fantastical Creatures

valentinesummers20

Hi,

Just want to point out that I'm very new here and I'm still starting out tarot reading :)

I have recently just bought my first tarot deck (Fantastical Creatures) and I can't stop thinking that I made a very bad choice!
The symbolism isn't as strong as the original and the meanings seem to be different. I went for it because it was based on the Rider-Waite deck but still felt different.

Has anyone started with these cards or own/experienced working with them?
What do you think about this deck?

Anything you'd like to share would be very appreciated.
Peace!

Tarot Orat

Welcome to Aeclectic! :)

I do have this deck but haven't really read with it. I'll check it out again when I get home and share my thoughts.

valentinesummers20

Hey! :) nice to meet you.
I would really appreciate that :) thanks!

rwcarter

Hi,

Just want to point out that I'm very new here and I'm still starting out tarot reading :)

I have recently just bought my first tarot deck (Fantastical Creatures) and I can't stop thinking that I made a very bad choice!
The symbolism isn't as strong as the original and the meanings seem to be different. I went for it because it was based on the Rider-Waite deck but still felt different.

Has anyone started with these cards or own/experienced working with them?
What do you think about this deck?

Anything you'd like to share would be very appreciated.
Peace!
Welcome to Aeclectic, valentinesummers20!

There is a Study Group for the deck, but it didn't get very far.

You mention "the original". The original what? Are you referring to the Rider Waite? While Fantastical Creatures may be of the Rider Waite school, it's far enough different from the Rider Waite as to almost qualify as something else. Spanish may be derived from Latin, but it's different enough that it's considered to be its own language.

If you like the art and want to stick with the deck, then you should. But if you like the art but can't connect with the deck, then look at it this way - you have 78 pieces of mini art that you can pull out and enjoy whenever you want. :)

HTH,
Rodney

Carla

If you like the art and want to stick with the deck, then you should. But if you like the art but can't connect with the deck, then look at it this way - you have 78 pieces of mini art that you can pull out and enjoy whenever you want. :)

Or you can always work out a trade, if you're a member. That's one of the joys of the tarot community - lots of people enjoy trading decks.

valentinesummers20

Hi and thanks for the welcome :p

Yes I was referring to the Rider Waite deck. They have beautiful art but suddenly I'm starting to feel I should just stick with Rider Waite deck but yeah I could always just use them anytime, I think I'm not ready for them yet. Trading sounds cool :) thanks for bringing that up!

Thanks for posting

Belinda

Hi and welcome,

I got this deck a year or two ago and had a bit of trouble with it too at first. I've been trying to change the way that I work with the cards by "adjusting my vision" and I've found that now that I've been doing that with this deck that it just speaks to me now. I used to use the LWB much more but now that I'm changing my view all of the depth (symbols, colors and myths) within these cards makes it easy for me. Like when you look at the card, sometimes some things are highlighted during one reading but then when you do it for another person or situation then maybe something else within that same card comes forward and the previous things no longer stands out as much.

Did you do a Getting to know you spread with your deck? I do this with mine to see how they like to be used and how they can help me grow.

Good luck with them.

HuskyChariot

Hey :)

I don't have fantastical creatures, but the beginning of my tarot journey is still fresh enough to give a little advice. If your instincts tell you that you should start with learning the Rider-Waite, then trust that.

I had the Shapeshifters Tarot for 7 or more years before I even knew what the Rider Waite and Thoth (the deck Shapeshifters is loosely based on) were. When I began serious study, I learned with the Tarot of Dreams, which is quite close to Rider Waite. I then did two Tarot courses which taught the Rider Waite so I ended up buying a copy (the Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative Set is the best is my opinion - muted colours and perfect card stock).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're just starting out, and want to be serious about reading tarot, imho it makes sense to start where it all began and give yourself a good grounding, you can then go back to Fantastical Creatures and it will offer you more, as I did with Shapeshifters :)

delizt

as a long time collector/student of tarot, I recommend that you get really comfortable with one of the "basic" decks first...such as the RWS and really know it well, otherwise decks that deviate from it will only seem confusing!

That was my problem when I had the Fantasitcal Creatures...t may be different now, but when I first got it, I was hopelessly confused, so I traded it away!

ana luisa

On a more "mundane"vein here: I would stick with the deck for a while. The art attracted you so there is something in it that you may need to use/learn from. It just isn't the right time. Do start with "easier"decks (quite subjective but RW is a good call). Then, when you feel you could slowly start talking to FC, go back to it. Besides, Lisa Hunt's decks tend to disappear from the market and rebuying one may become something quite expensive....