"La vía del Tarot" by Jodorowsky-Costa

JaviMM

Hi all.
This is my first post out of the Welcome subforum :). I bought the book "La Vía del Tarot" by Jodorowsky-Costa yesterday. I purchased the spanish version of the text (as I'm spanish). The book is part written in Spanish (the one written by Jodorowsky) and part in French. The French part is translated into Spanish, of course.
About the contents. I've read some 100 pages of it, and I'm really liking it. Very torough and it gives a lot of detail. The thing I like most is that it suggests you to try to find your own view of it while you read through the book. It's kind of a guidance into tarot. The style is nice too. Jodorowsky is a good writer.
The book has 5 parts:
1.- Structure and Numerology of the Tarot (90 pages): It's the part I've read, It deals with an overview of the Tarot, how Jodorowsky discovered it, and how he learned. How he got in touch with Camoin, and how they designed their verion of the Marseilles. They found a very old Marseilles deck in Mexico and bought it. Jodo had the opportunity to buy it before, but the price for it was $10000!!. The owner died and they bought it to his son. Then he goes into a general description of the Marseilles deck, how all the cards are related, it's basic characteristics, the symbology between the major and minor arcana and between the cards. Numerology and a mandala with the deck.
2.- Major arcana (156 pages): It gives descriptions of every major arcana card. A whole page picture of the card starts the description. The description ends with a subchapter saying "If the (card here) talked...".
3.- Minor arcana (102 pages): He describes the cards rank by rank (Aces together, then deuces, 3s...). Then he goes into the cards by suit and the relation between cards of the same suit. Then he goes into the Valets, Reynes, Roys and Cavaliers.
4.- The Tarot in Two by Two Cards (90 pages): The book explains duests, couple and relations. I have not read it so I can't comment further, but it seems to be a very interesting chapter.
5.- Tarot Reading (114 pages): Explains some mehods for reading with 3, 4, 10 or more cards. Can't comment further...

As said before, the book has a prologue, an introduction, conclusion and index, for a total of 611 pages.

Hope this helps for those of you interested in the book. I'll be giving comments as I read it.

Cheers,
Javier.

TheOld

Yes, verry good

i'm also reading it and yes it's a verry good book.
what i love is that it does not surimpose correspondency system of kaballa-astrology-.... over the tarot, it show the tarot as an autonomne system that does not need other coresponcy system to live.
i'm at the end of the structure and numerology of the tarot parts and until now it's the best book i've read on the tarot.

Love, Light & Power
Omeada

Flavio

Because of this book I started to get interested in Marseilles styles decks as I've used only RWS style decks so far. I believe this book is an excellent reading independently of the Tarot tradition and deck specially the Major Arcana section.

JaviMM

I'm on chapter 4 now, that talks about relation between two cards. It's a fantastic chapter. The book talks about how two major arcana relate to each other according to position. Ex. Bateleur-Papese or Papese-Bateleur. Fantastic, really. The minor arcana section is good too, but Jodo seems to be concerned mainly with the major arcana. He gives them more attention, although the minor arcana section is big too. Great book.