Cutting the deck

rexenne2003

AH! Freak me out!

Doh I accidently hit the submit button twice...darn twitch.

rexenne2003

AH! Freak me out!

OMG I tried this and got three of the same cards that I had in my celtic cross reading I did yesterday of several issues that are going on in my life right now. Holy moses that freaked the hell out of me! I cannot beleive that those three cards showed up. How pleasantly freaky!

tmgrl2

This is fun going through these threads on Mechanics of Reading. They are getting bumped by my posts, but maybe that's ok.

I let the Q cut (even if I have shuffled) and ask them to cut them any way they wish and put them back together and then cut them once more and put together. After that, I cut once more to my left...toward the past, three cuts and put them together and then deal from the top...

However, in one reading, the Q wanted to draw after she cut...so I fanned out all the cards and told her how many to pick to hand to me to place in the spread. It's fun letting the energy of the relationship drive these things.

terri

Red Emma

About the "shadow" card, although until now I never knew its name. I hadn't used it until I recently read for a very smart, multi-talented friend who cannot seem to believe in herself.

She's involved in an unpleasant divorce and has been coerced into going to a marriage counselor who's attached to a right wing church. Between the counselor, who boasts that no couple he works with ever divorces, and her emotionally abusive husband she's having a hard time of it. I'm worried that she'll return to the abuser.

Just before one of their sessions I did a 3-card (issue, advice, outcome) reading for her. Sorry but I can't remember the three cards. However, the reading, while encouraging her desire to end the marriage, seemed a little ambivalent. Remembering that ATF members sometimes use the card on the bottom of the deck as a clarifier, I turned the deck over to be confronted by the queen of swords.

In my tarot lexicon, this lady is a subtle, keen and quick-witted leader with a perceptive independent mind. She's liberal minded and profound in her view points......able to think for herself and prefers to work alone. One of my books adds "insightful, strong-willed, capable, self disciplined and strong of character.

That information was all my friend needed to boost her confidence. She zapped off into the night, and into the church to confront and turn the tables on the two men.

She did file for divorce, although road blocks are being thrust at her. I now and again do a reading for her just to keep her encouraged.

As an after thought, I sometimes wonder how many women have been --- well, bullied -- for the right wing minister to keep the "zero divorce rate" of the people he counsels.

tmgrl2

Glad I bumped this thread, RE...good post..I had never heard of the shadow card either till I started reading these threads about Mecahanics of Reading...they are very helpful.

Glad to hear the card helped.

terri

Sillanza

I usually ask the querant how involved they want to be with the cards. I feel if they have the right energy, it will show. Of course, while I'm asking this, I am shuffling. <g> Often they only want to cut after I've shuffled, then we're off to the races.

tmgrl2

I asked that of each of my live Q's so far, Sillanza....they usually know what degree of involvement they want...that' s why I'm trying not to have lots of "rules" about how I read...and about how I cut the deck....

thanks...good to hear from you!

terri

CreativeFire

terri, glad you "bumped" this thread as I also had not heard of using the card at the bottom of the deck (shadow card), but have sometimes taken a sneak peak just out of curiousity. ;) Will certainly give this a try in future readings.

I also tend to let my querents decide how they want to draw the cards, often I have them shuffle and then cut into three piles and then restack. I have one friend however who likes to shuffle and then fan out the cards and then she runs her hand over the top to "feel the heat" from the cards she wants to choose for the reading. I then just get her to put them into a pile in consecutive order based on how many cards we need for the spread - this works well for her!

Cheers
CreativeFire

tmgrl2

I like it too, the fanning of the deck. One Q wanted to fan them and then wanted to choose/slide out her own cards.

It's fun to create as I go....I always do some variations of both shuffling and cutting, though.

terri

poivre

I sometimes look at the bottom card for extra information.
I am going to try this method and read the three bottom cards.
This sounds interesting and fun.
Thanks!