Marketing Yourself as a Tarot Reader

WiseOakReiki

It looks like you are doing a lot of mass marketing with your focus on money-paying customers in general, when what you really need is more of a one-on-one "special" kind of focus.

Something like LeFou suggests here sounds like something you need more of. Reading for free (and perhaps handing out business cards) is one way to "exchange" for better advertising without coughing up the money for advertising. Demonstrating to generate word-of-mouth is the best advertisement you can get. Focus on building those one-on-one relationships; everything else you're doing is icing on the cake.

Thank you for the statement that the one-on-one focus is what can get those paying customers rather than mass marketing.

WiseOakReiki

As I understand, the OP is looking for advice on getting online seekers, so reading at a public place is probably not feasible...

Here are some things I have found helpful:

- Build trust in your reading abilities. You are building up your image as a Tarot connoisseur, yes; but as a person who is good at reading? Offer a free monthly reading to your followers (random choice) and hope for word of mouth

- visit some new age, esoterics, Tarot, magic or other topical chatrooms. Offer to give some free few-card readings. Do them publicly in said chatrooms

- Offer a "price-yourself" system - offer your reading to be priced by the seeker. Many experiments show that people are likely to pay (and pay even more) with this model than any regular pricing model

- Offer nice "gift packages" instead of offering a reading, so that people can "gift" your readings for someone, instead of buying a reading themselves

And don't try too hard.

Thank you for these ideas. They seem very sound. I appreciate it!

Citrin

Maybe you should do some networking? Try to connect with other readers on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc... I mean, not in the spammy way of saying "Hi love your video, check out my channel please!" but rather with a genuine approach of wanting to share experiences. There are lots of big tarot readers on YouTube and Instagram and I find them quite supportive often giving shoutouts to others, even newbies. So that could be something to look into. :)

And don't be afraid of finding inspiration from other readers. Go to the big YouTube channels and look at a couple of videos. Why do you think they get so many subscribers, views and comments? Analyze that and see if you can be inspired to find how you could attract that also. I've personally found recently that what's (just what I've seen, maybe it's just me?) popular on YouTube seems to be personal views on different decks, personal reading tips, practical "how to connect with your deck" videos etc, and maybe not so much weekly readings. So check out what is out there :)

MandMaud

Maybe you should do some networking? Try to connect with other readers on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc... I mean, not in the spammy way of saying "Hi love your video, check out my channel please!" but rather with a genuine approach of wanting to share experiences.

I just recently found a guy called Jeff Walker who does free videos (and paid seminars etc) on this kind of thing - how to market without being a slimy used-car salesman. He won't be to everyone's taste, I haven't decided if he's entirely to mine, but you may find him useful. He does know what he's talking about.

Not sure if you noticed my earlier post (post #7)?

WiseOakReiki

In this article are many excellent methods for increasing your online following - the title is Twitter, but most of these apply to everything, not just Twitter.
http://technotip.org/60-ways-to-increase-your-twitter-followers/

The absolute best advice I ever followed was to make friends online. It is the most important thing. Reach out - it's about relationships. It allows your real self to show better than anything else, and others will "overhear" and eventually click through to find out who you are.

I think i am actually doing okay at the long term strategies. It's just letting it grow organically and having patience!

And recently I heard another great piece of advice, which I haven't yet lived by, but it strikes me as valuable: Don't sell, share. You have something great which you want other people to partake of. Be generous and let them know about it! (In other words, never be a slimy car-salesman type!)

This makes total sense to me and I have been working on how to give. There must be a balance somewhere that I am giving but also receiving.

Roughly 1 in 10 visitors to your site or blog become regulars, and roughly 1 in 10 of those become commenters (it's blogs that I know best), and I'd guess 1 in 10 of those become customers... and then it's up to you how many become repeat customers! Giving these ratios because false expectations are the biggest cause of disappointment.

Congratulate yourself when you achieve twice as many clicks as last month. Take the credit. Never take the blame when it slows down - that's time of year / month / clash with the football (or other big sports event) / power cut ... when it's more than a blip, that's the moment to try the next technique on your list.

This part is especially helpful. And I do have a blog on my website so that all applies as well. I actually read this and appreciated it before but didn't reply until now. I can be consumed with goals so yes congratulating myself on those 10 youtube subscribers is helpful!

WiseOakReiki

Maybe you should do some networking? Try to connect with other readers on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc... I mean, not in the spammy way of saying "Hi love your video, check out my channel please!" but rather with a genuine approach of wanting to share experiences. There are lots of big tarot readers on YouTube and Instagram and I find them quite supportive often giving shoutouts to others, even newbies. So that could be something to look into. :)

And don't be afraid of finding inspiration from other readers. Go to the big YouTube channels and look at a couple of videos. Why do you think they get so many subscribers, views and comments? Analyze that and see if you can be inspired to find how you could attract that also. I've personally found recently that what's (just what I've seen, maybe it's just me?) popular on YouTube seems to be personal views on different decks, personal reading tips, practical "how to connect with your deck" videos etc, and maybe not so much weekly readings. So check out what is out there :)

Networking online is not something I had thought of - I'll have to think about how to approach that. It's definitely worth a shot!

Also yes there are other readers who I find inspiration from as far as what works and what doesn't. The information about personal views and reading tips is something I hadn't thought of. I'll have to look for some of those, too.

WiseOakReiki

In other marketing news - I just bought a table at a holistic fair on Halloween! I feel this is the ideal kind of marketing - making one on one connections. And even if it isn't, it's going to be SO much fun!

I'm also excited that it's a holistic fair - not just a regular fair and oh look there's a tarot reader. I can see myself working up to that but since it is my first time doing an event like this, I'm happy knowing the people there are actually seeking what I have to offer or are at least open to it, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

I do readings once a month at a local bead store but it's just me. This is a much bigger event with lots of other readers and people selling crystals etc.

I'll still be continuing with the online marketing and appreciating all the words of wisdom. It can get depressing when I feel I've been working so much and not seeing results. Thanks to all of you for the feedback and ideas!

And how did it happen? Someone I knew who had seen one of my MANY posts for daily cards tagged me in a post that was promoting the event. (I had tried contacting several shops about adding a reader, and got either no or no response). It is all about networking. :)

MandMaud

Great that you're feeling more encouraged and seeing better results!

This makes total sense to me and I have been working on how to give. There must be a balance somewhere that I am giving but also receiving.
I'm quite a beginner at it myself. What seems to help is trust - easier said than done ;) - that you don't need to receive. At least not from this specific person/interaction. Trusting is a skill... what you said in your most recent post sounds like you're getting it, though: "I feel this is the ideal kind of marketing - making one on one connections. And even if it isn't, it's going to be SO much fun!"

Networking online is not something I had thought of - I'll have to think about how to approach that. It's definitely worth a shot!
It is in that 60 Twitter followers article... which I still think is worth a read. Even if only 10% are new ideas that can apply to your situation, half a dozen techniques can go a long way.

mehamil85

readings

I'm branching out myself. I recently did the "free readings, tips appreciated!" at a college in my city. I was a hit, but I made $15. I didn't expect much since these are college students. I was counting more on their energy and ability to spread word fast. I plan on setting up shop there once a week. I'm opening my own business in early 2016 so I'm out and about getting the word out that I exist.

Have you asked the cards what more you can be doing? I have used the cards to do an enormous amount of work on myself to get out of my own way and to get to the point of reading in public. I've only ever done them in metaphysical stores and my own home. I was so afraid of being arrested. Sometimes internally we trip over ourselves and the tarot is an excellent tool to figure out how to stop doing that.

Awakened Queen

Start your own business page on FB, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube. Check out the hashtag #tarot and find other readers or enthusiasts to follow. Post interesting things on your social media to gain followers and to get your name out there.

Check out Theresa Reed, Jess Carlson, and Lisa Frideborg Lloyd's social media pages for ideas.

Pull a card of the day and interpret it. Ask people if there are any cards they need help understanding the meanings. Offer 10% or 15% off on readings on various holidays. You could do a "4th of July" or "Christmas" special.

Start a blog on your website. Get a logo to create a brand. Write e-books. Offer online tarot classes.

Think outside the box and get people excited about tarot. Make them see it in a different, more modern way.