Doreen Virtue Decks changes and such

Shibiusa

I know several people who have found her oracles very helpful. I don't do oracles, so have no direct experience of them. But her tarot decks are not in my view tarot at all; she has taken out everything negative. She actually prides herself (or did) on the fact that her decks deliver only positive messages. That is not tarot, for me.

I would say - if you want to get just one, pick at random.... but if you have any kind of eyesight problem, run with the Guardian Angels. All the others are frighteningly bright - almost painful to look at. The images on this site don't do them justice - they really are almost psychedelically bright. Then again, the Guardian Angels have FAR too many words on each card...

But honestly - if you want one of her decks, get an oracle. And there I shall have to pass you over to others who have used them for advice.
Her idea was good, though, I do have to say that. She wanted to "destroy" that fearful feeling we get when we see a tower or the death because we immediately think of the worst it can happen. That is okay with me. As long as it doesn't destroy the actual meaning... For me, it would be more than enough to have a nice symbolic drawing instead of a creepy one for those cards.

I love the drawings on the Angel tarot cards. I really really do. But I wasn't able to read with them... I had that feeling I should buy them, but maybe it was just admiration. It's not practical. It's not tarot, as you said. It's more like an oracle. Her idea was taken way too seriously...

Anyway...

Well. I didn't quite understand why this is happening. Is there a source for this information (about Doreen and christianity)?

FLizarraga

Which one of her deck (tarot, not oracle) would be the best to get if you had only one ? Worth it or not ?

I would say - if you want to get just one, pick at random.... but if you have any kind of eyesight problem, run with the Guardian Angels. All the others are frighteningly bright - almost painful to look at. The images on this site don't do them justice - they really are almost psychedelically bright. Then again, the Guardian Angels have FAR too many words on each card...

And you better listen to gregory. I didn't. I was seduced by the online scans of the Angel Tarot -- saccharine, yes, and with the entire suit of swords reduced to a fluff of white feathers, but beautiful images nonetheless. (As I have said before, Hay House's production values are not half bad.)

When I unboxed the actual cards, the incandescent colors seared my retinas, and I couldn't see for a month. I'm (almost) not exaggerating. It's awful.

gregory

Her idea was good, though, I do have to say that. She wanted to "destroy" that fearful feeling we get when we see a tower or the death because we immediately think of the worst it can happen. That is okay with me. As long as it doesn't destroy the actual meaning... For me, it would be more than enough to have a nice symbolic drawing instead of a creepy one for those cards.

I love the drawings on the Angel tarot cards. I really really do. But I wasn't able to read with them... I had that feeling I should buy them, but maybe it was just admiration. It's not practical. It's not tarot, as you said. It's more like an oracle. Her idea was taken way too seriously...
Exactly. I'm told she's good on oracles. But I don't think it was a "good idea" to take the negative messages out of tarot. It's up to us, the readers, to explain to our sitters why the Tower isn't always something to fear - and also why the Empress doesn't always mean pregnancy, or the Lovers that you are going to marry the guy you fancy in the office. :D

How can it not destroy the meaning to have "Life experience" for the Tower ? "Release" for death ? "Ego" for the devil ?

Tarot is tarot. She can't cope with that - fine - PLEASE let her stick to the oracles she is good at.

AnemoneRosie

I can sort of understand "release" if only because in some of the psychobabble circles that I flirt with the two are very interchangeable concepts.

I can almost see that with Ego and the Devil as well. It's just a very one-sided way to see the Devil - as ONLY the Ego, as opposed to having other meanings as well.

And I know that you all find the Angel Tarot too bright, but it's easy on the eyes by candlelight or by a dim bulb (think 5 watts).

gregory

But release is ALWAYS good. And Death - isn't.

Shibiusa

Exactly. I'm told she's good on oracles. But I don't think it was a "good idea" to take the negative messages out of tarot. It's up to us, the readers, to explain to our sitters why the Tower isn't always something to fear - and also why the Empress doesn't always mean pregnancy, or the Lovers that you are going to marry the guy you fancy in the office. :D

How can it not destroy the meaning to have "Life experience" for the Tower ? "Release" for death ? "Ego" for the devil ?

Tarot is tarot. She can't cope with that - fine - PLEASE let her stick to the oracles she is good at.
Yeah, that's it! She took it way too far. The drawings are gorgeous and not fearful (that's more than enough for me! Even though I like darkness and dark themes, I do hate creepy drawings. I don't want to look at "death" and actually see murder/bloody stuff, for example. It makes me uneasy). But messing up with the meanings... Eh. That's not okay.

Messing up with Temperance was also terrible. Why changing the name to Balance? It's not even a "negative" card!
But oh well. It's still a gorgeous deck. Not useful (it's way too big as well). But pretty xD

BrownBear

I think (hope??) we're talking about which syllable you emphasize. That or I've been pronouncing it completely wrong this whole time. (I do TA-ro, emphasis on the first syllable)
Oh yes. I meant that since the ROW syllable is accented in Italian, it's difficult for me to think if accenting any other.

willowy

Is it worth it having one, is she bringing some new view ? It sounded from the Guardian Angel tarot video that her take on tarot was, shall we say, different.... quite unique actually.
Which one of her deck (tarot, not oracle) would be the best to get if you had only one ? Worth it or not ?
Thanks !

I think it is,if only to have a really gentle deck on hand if you do readings for others.I have two of her decks (I came to them from her oracle decks) Angel tarot and Guardian angel tarot-which I prefer,its very pink,feminine and glittery.Theres messages on each card and gentle artwork.I don't use them much-they're abit big and bulky and feel alittle like tarot watered down,I like my decks to not be afraid to tell me it straight- sometimes life is just hard and theres no getting away from it.But they can make good daily draw decks,and since I collect decks I like having them.

Spiffo

That's exactly what I thought the first time I saw it! I have it saved on Pinterest under Comedy for those moments when nothing else will do. :laugh:

I've downloaded the video.
I'm emailing it to Magda Szubanski in the hope she'll do character based on her.

G6

Discussion of Doreen Virtue's tarot decks should occur in the Tarot Decks forum while discussion of her oracles should happen in the Oracles forum.

I didn't know she made Tarot decks.