Thoth

Padre

hi, i just got my thoth tarot deck ad im really pleased with it however , the ,manual is quite useless

anyways
1.) is there a specific spread that aleister crowley suggested be used or is used? which one is it?

2.) the tree of life is shown inside the manual, can anyone recommend any books that details the tree of life??

3.) does any of you believe in numerology? if yes, which books can you suggest

btw LILLIE! ur the best :p

seemingly weird - bam:)

Padre

Ps

I just order "understanding aleister crowley's thoth tarot by duquette", i havent received it, so im was wondering if this book has already a good explanation towards what spread is menat to be used and how to perform it??

thanks a bunch guys !

Abrac

Padre said:
1.) is there a specific spread that aleister crowley suggested be used or is used? which one is it?
I believe Crowley read the cards and I'm sure someone will be able to shed some light on the type of spread he used, but from what I've read he used the I Ching a lot more than Tarot. His Tarot has become wildly popular these days, but when the idea of creating a new Tarot was first suggested by Frieda Harris, Crowley wanted to simply use a conventional design with a few modifications - a project that would only take 2-3 months. He doesn't seem to have been as into Tarot as the popularity of his deck might suggest.

Lillie

Cheers Padre!

Crowley might not have been into the idea to begin with, but once he got started he really went for it, didn't he?

5 years, loads of letters, arguments, card variations...

Was it all worth it?

Yeah, I look at the deck and I'm glad him and Frieda went to all that trouble as the bombs rained down on England.
Too right.

I've got the green deck and the LWB that comes with it is very interesting, especially as it has Frieda Harris's essays in it. She had so much to do with making this deck, yet we know so little of what she actually thought, so it's interesting to read them.

The spread in the back of that LWB is the 15 card spread (5 bunches of 3 cards each) and it's good for using Elemental dignities.

But I would imagine that Crowley would have used all or part of the opening of the key spread at sometime in his life, as that was the one he would have learned in the GD.
And I think that's the one in the back of The book of Thoth...
Or does my memory decieve me?

For views on kaballah check out this thread.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=72018

For books on it check these
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=80874
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=49002

There is a whole kaballah forum, right under this one. Loads of good stuff there for the kabalah student!
Someone might even know the right way to spell the name!
At the momment I am trying to spell it differently every time i type it.

Numerology....
Well, there might be something on that in the divination forum, but quabalistic numerology should be covered by the caballah links.

Anyhow, I'm not big on cuballah (Ok, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel with the spellings now) I could never get my head round it.
And loads of people know far more than me.
But good luck with finding out about it.

Kenny

DuQuette's Understanding ... Thoth Tarot is worth it. Also get DuQuette's Chicken Qabalah for a general understanding of Qabalah.

As for books on numbers:
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Numerology
  • Complete Illustrated Guide to Numerology
  • Numerology: Key to Tarot

If you fancy a different view on Numerology try Cheiro's Book of Numbers and Kabala of Numbers & Handbook of Interpretation. These two books form a astrological based Numerology system. I have, in the past, done a couple of threads about this system.