4 of Disks and Om and Hrim

caridwen

Does anyone know if Crowley meant for the Four of Disks to look so similar or indeed be based on this
Hindu symbol The two components are called 'Om' and the 'Hrim' in Sanskrit, and symbolize the human's position between earth and sky. The downward triangle symbolizes Shakti, the sacred embodiment of femininity, and the upward triangle symbolizes Shiva, or Agni Tattva, representing the focused aspects of masculinity. The mystical union of the two triangles represents Creation, occurring through the divine union of male and female. The two locked triangles are also known as 'Shanmukha' - the six-faced, representing the six faces of Shiva & Shakti's progeny Kartikeya. This symbol is also a part of several yantras and has deep significance in Hindu ritual worship and mythology.

Four of Disks

Abrac

There does seem to be some similarity. Crowley doesn't say anything about it in the Book of Thoth. There could be some Hindu influence.

I always thought it was based on the Four Enochian Watchtowers.

7Nica7nor7

Nice!

caridwen said:
Does anyone know if Crowley meant for the Four of Disks to look so similar or indeed be based on this
Hindu symbol The two components are called 'Om' and the 'Hrim' in Sanskrit, and symbolize the human's position between earth and sky. The downward triangle symbolizes Shakti, the sacred embodiment of femininity, and the upward triangle symbolizes Shiva, or Agni Tattva, representing the focused aspects of masculinity. The mystical union of the two triangles represents Creation, occurring through the divine union of male and female. The two locked triangles are also known as 'Shanmukha' - the six-faced, representing the six faces of Shiva & Shakti's progeny Kartikeya. This symbol is also a part of several yantras and has deep significance in Hindu ritual worship and mythology.

Four of Disks

Have really no idea, but your observation make's great sensse, to mee i love it! thank's

Aeon418

I doubt that it has anything to do with that specific Yantra. But the design of the 4 of Disks may well have been influenced by the design of Yantra's in general. Most Yantra's contain that castle-like structure that looks similar to the one in the 4 of Disks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Crowley saw hundreds of different Yantra's during his travels in the east. He certainly knew what they were and that the root meaning of the word is "to restrain" or "to bind". All very consistent with the meaning of the 4 of Disks.

ravenest

caridwen said:
Hindu symbol

Yes. Crowley did not try to represent that Hindu symbol on the four of discs, nor do they look similar to me ... (well, ... I'll grant that the Yantra does look MORE similar to the 4 discs than a penguin ... but ) it's a long stretch.

Crowley would have been very familar with Yantras, he would have stuck one in the Thoth if that's what he wanted.

I'd go for (if anything) the 4 watchtowers theory (From Enochian ... even in some types of Wicca they invoke the watchtowers - but I assume they have little idea of what that means?).

The whole concept of the 4 of disc and personal power on the material plane is based on elemental theory and hierarchy. To think Crowley is suggesting some idea relating to the Yantra - and not studing what HE says about his own cards is to miss the point ... I feel.