Game of Hope Lenormand

Tag_jorrit

Tag_jorrit; a quick question that might make a diffence to things r.e orders; are you in the US?

Yes, I am in the US. And I'm told that TABI is organizing a group purchase from their Facebook site, if that helps.

frelkins

I hope whoever does sell it gives you credit for the work you did and puts some of the profits towards a good cause....if any. eg Art scholarship.

Revelation to know Madam Lenormand may not have been behind these cards but a Madam Charlotte.

Learn a new thing everyday....:)

I weep. ;) Lady Charlotte Schrieber was not "behind" the cards at all. She was the British noble lady married to a great industrialist who collected an enormous number of cards and games, which she gave to the British Museum upon her death in 1895. She likewise gifted her even more extensive collection of Chinese porcelain to the Victoria & Albert.

In fact to be precise, she gave 2 copies of the original Game of Hope to the Museum - they are listed in the famed Donoghue catalog of 1901 as German cards, items 192-193. Item 192 does indeed have a plain back, but item 193 has the what may be the "correct" back, which is dark with "rondels enclosing leaves," as Donoghue describes them. He offers no commentary on the condition of cards or any foxing, only to note that 193 has somehow lost 1 card, as well as the instructions & the cover. Thus neither 192 nor 193 appear to have been damaged as of 1901.

I suppose that's why Katz decided to print 192, because it was more complete cardwise, if not as to the back pattern. :D However it is not the only Game of Hope, nor is 192 "the" Museum's Game of Hope - because for reasons I don't understand, everyone is refusing to talk about 193. Why is that? :( You must also consider the examples in the German playing card museum, which are apparently completely unknown to everyone in the so-called Lenormand community. :(

Please I beg everyone most sincerely and from the bottom of my heart in the most friendly tones to align yourselves to the actual factual scholarly history of these cards, which is well known, and well documented. Questions can be answered by consulting DDD, Hoffmann & Donoghue. It really helps in our discussions to keep the truth clear. :D The truth will set us free. :D Ty & best wishes to all.

Flaxen

Moderator Note

In view of the fact that the legal status of this deck has been established and that the discussion is simply going round in circles and encouraging personal criticism which is unsubstantiated, this thread has been closed.