Got a book, and Joan Bunning's Guide online, looking for more books :D

AkiraOkihu

Hello! I got the Easy Tarot Kit, which includes a good by Josephine Ellershaw and The Gilded Tarot Deck. I am waiting for my Gilded Tarot Royale Deck to arrive. In the meantime, I was wondering what other books might help me, especially because I feel that by only reading 1 book I miss on lots of things.

The two books that have been recommended to me are Tarot 101 and Tarot Plain and Simple. The problem is, I don't have much money right now, and I was wondering which would would be better? From what I understand, Tarot 101 uses a more active approach to teach. Any thoughts or suggestions?

gregory

Of those two, I would run with Tarot 101, as the other is what you might call closer to Ellershaw. Also Kim Huggens is a member here so you could always ask questions })

I hopethe Gilded comes with the excellent book, specific to it, by Barbara Moore, though - that is better than Ellershaw's, IMHO.

Nemia

Invest in a simple little journal, and start to jot down your own ideas about the cards. Describe them, play a bit with them - which cards belong together, which cards have similar atmosphere, colors, symbols?

Don't get bogged down with book meanings, let the cards themselves tell you something. Only after you sharpen your eyes by really looking at the cards and trying to understand their visual language should you start taking other opinions and interpretations on board.

Write down your readings, too. Over time, you will notice that the cards have personal meanings for you. For example, a certain card may appear often when you ask about a certain relationship or problem.

Joan Bunning's website is very good, but don't focus on card meanings. Read the whole thing and do her exercises - they are great for getting to know the cards.

I'd recommend very much Mary Greer's Tarot for yourself. It's a personal workbook that challenges you to connect the cards to your life, your character, your feelings and experiences.

The longer you work with the tarot, the more easily you will be able to integrate new knowledge about astrology, numerology, kabbalah and symbols. Over time, each card will be "loaded" with so many associations and insight. But if you haven't built a strong relationship based on understanding of their specific images, this theoretical information will be suspended in mid air.

This is my very own personal conviction and I'm sure many other will find it not very useful. Just wanted to add it here.

AkiraOkihu

Oh wow! Thanks a lot! I was going in mechanically, without building any relationship with my cards. I will then probably wait for my Gilded Tarot Royale deck to arrive, because I feel so much more attached to that deck (btw. Maria Marchetti says it's normal to arrive late, USPS tells me it's in transit since 18th of October. Knowing that I live in Romania and that I have received numerous items [some from China and even the Easy Tarot kit which arrived in 7 days after I ordered it from BookDep.] are there reasons to worry? It never took that long to receive an item, I am a little concerned...). I will look at each card and see what it represents to me. Until then I will read about spreads and other tarot related information. I will get Tarot 101 and 21 Ways of Reading Tarot. Thanks! (though I'd rather not mark this as solved, more suggestions are always welcomed :D)

gregory

If I were only to get ONE book it would be 21 Ways. I was running with the two you asked about - so you should do well.

Nel

Out of those two: 101, but . . .

Anything by Mary Greer, you just can't go wrong!

Don't be intimidated by the one on reversals by the way, I don't read reversals myself, but I use the book again and again to refresh some perspectives on the traditional meaning of all of the 78 cards

Good luck!

AJ

Akira, welcome to AT, we love new members.

Based on other stories here if there is a hold up it is usually sitting in customs. And many of our members often have to pay a hefty customs fee to get not just tarot but anything imported out of customs.

While you save up money for other books dig into the ones you have, not just snacking here and there but working them page by page. I think I've read every tarot book in existence, and gained something from all of them, even the worst. There is no hurry to gobble tarot up, it is a life time learning process, welcome to the journey.

Curious Dragon

The two books that have been recommended to me are Tarot 101 and Tarot Plain and Simple. The problem is, I don't have much money right now, and I was wondering which would would be better? From what I understand, Tarot 101 uses a more active approach to teach. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Funny, I was in the exact same situation a few nights ago. I went with Tarot 101 (partly because Kobo let me preview the first chapter) and I don't regret it. I have 21 Ways to read A Tarot Card as well, and I think Tarot 101 is better for beginners because you'll go through the entire deck on one read through, whereas you only focus on one card on the first read through of 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card. (21 Ways is definitely my next workbook, though.)
I'm on lesson three, now, and I really like how the exercises combine intellect with intuition.

AkiraOkihu

Akira, welcome to AT, we love new members.

Based on other stories here if there is a hold up it is usually sitting in customs. And many of our members often have to pay a hefty customs fee to get not just tarot but anything imported out of customs.

While you save up money for other books dig into the ones you have, not just snacking here and there but working them page by page. I think I've read every tarot book in existence, and gained something from all of them, even the worst. There is no hurry to gobble tarot up, it is a life time learning process, welcome to the journey.

Thanks! The only book I have is the one from the Easy Tarot Kit, by Josephine Ellershaw. While I do like the way she talks about tarot, I don't really like that instead of suggesting first to go through all the cards and write my own meanings for each one, she just gives the meanings as she interpreted them. I looked through the study group and found that the people here are not of the same opinion with what she said about the cards.

Still, it's a great book, no doubt. But I am looking for a book that would make you learn tarot not mechanically, by learning all the meanings but by discovering them. That's why I am searching for a second book (and will get Tarot 101 and 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card). This doesn't mean I won't also check with this book, just that I will check for a second opinion, not for a whole interpretation of the card.