A Client's Well-being

S.B.

@S.B. - I think most readers would agree that the prime goal is to empower the client. Unfortunately we don't always have the ability to steer outcomes, only our responses to them.

While it's true that sometimes outcomes are beyond our control, the difficulty distinguishing those from what's within control leads me to the firm understanding that it's important to do what we can to produce the results we want. The dangers of seeing things as predestined are laziness and passiveness; these qualities are not to be encouraged as they are not in the least empowering.

SunChariot

For those of you who read for others and see your role as similar to that of a counselor (as opposed to a fortune-teller), I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your approach in the following situation.

A querent comes to you distraught over their relationship with another person. Your understanding of the cards you pull is that the situation won't get better. Your intuition about the client is that they are emotionally unable to accept or benefit by this message in their current state.

Do you tell them the truth anyway, or something else?

(Note that although the professions aren't the same, psychotherapists do not tell the whole truth as they understand it. They only share insights they feel their client is able to process productively. Of course tharapists typically have an ongoing relationship with their clients, which readers often don't.)

Ok.

As I see it there are a number of different issue here. And yes, of course, the answer a querent may most want to hear is not always what comes up in the cards.

Interestingly, the question was about being a counselor instead of a fortune teller. But any questions focusing on the future has that element of fortune telling in it. To me, if someone comes to you distraught over a relationship, asking the cards what they have to say that can make the querent feel better about where they are in the relationship might be more of a counselor question...than just what will happen in the future, but I know what you mean.:grin:

First, if the querent was very distraught and it was evident from the start and if I had any doubt that they may not be able to handle anything that came up, I would either not do the reading at all. OR I would ask them directly if they were sure they were ready to handle anything that comes up as I can't guarantee them beforehand they will get the answer they hope for.

I have at times done this in the past, ASKED someone if they were sure they really wanted to know and could handle anything that comes up. A few have decided they were not ready. So to me that is the first option.

If we decide to do the reading, then I would trust in the powers that be to give the information that the querent needs to hear. If it comes up, then they need to hear it...as I see it. I have that faith in Tarot and how it works. Sometimes people need to hear things but they may only fully process it a week or a month later. Sometimes they wont get what they are meant to from what you tell them until later on when they are ready to process it properly, but the benefit may still be there. But I do have that faith in the cards, that what comes up is what they need to hear.

And yes, that means not hiding things. If it comes up they are meant to know it, as I see it.

But there are ways to word things when people are distraught too. Wording is important in a reading. We can tell the same story in many different wants, some more caring and some more blunt. Yet both versions may be true. How we tell things counts too.

So that is my belief, that we need to tell what we see, but how we tell is is important. We need to talk to people in the ways WE think would be most useful to us to hear the same information in. Empathy is a good thing in a reader, imo.

Also I don't believe there are any negative cards. All cards have different sides to them. It is important imo to show the positive side of things too. There is always one there I believe if we look.

Eg the Death card for me means something will end and it HAS to and is meant to. For their own higher good. This thing has to end to make room for something better that is trying to reach the querent. It's like losing a job and then when you look for the next one from one that it much much better for you. You have to lose the first one to find the better one, or you would not have been looking and in the right place at the right time.

That is what Death means to me. All cards have a positive side to for me.

So yes, if the relationship they want to keep is showing the Death card, that it will end...To me you have to show both sides. I think you don't JUST tell the distraught person that tough luck the relationship they value is going to end and there is nothing they can do about it.

I think you need to show that currently heading towards and ending BUT that something better will come from it and it will make them happy in the end and they can have faith in that.

Also, I would not tend to say that things are ending and there is nothing they can do about it. First of all because there may be. At best in a reading on the future, I would just say that that is the current future they are heading towards.

Reading on the future, the future can change often enough. Sometimes we can do a second reading and see if there is anything to do to fix things. That is my belief on readings on the future. That the future is flexible most times and all the cards can do in readings on the future is show one possible future, the one they are currently moving towards. I tend to explain all this before I even start to read on the future...

So I guess those are my thoughts and beliefs, hope they help in some way.

Readers are there to read, as I see it. That means telling the querent what you see and not hiding parts. Tact and empathy are important tools to me. If therapists hide things so that we can find them ourselves, that may not be so much the role of a reader. But parts of the answers I get may come up as questions for the querent to ask themselves of think about. The answer doesn't always come out the same way.

Sometimes it might look like: "Something in your past is affecting the way you view this situation." Sometimes it can be more like: "If you stop and think about it, what do you think that stems from your past is affecting how you view this situation now? And why?"

Sometimes the answers end up taking one form, sometimes the other. I never know why, but just follow what comes to me.

Babs

SunChariot

While it's true that sometimes outcomes are beyond our control, the difficulty distinguishing those from what's within control leads me to the firm understanding that it's important to do what we can to produce the results we want. The dangers of seeing things as predestined are laziness and passiveness; these qualities are not to be encouraged as they are not in the least empowering.

Very true and well said.

Babs

Amanda

A querent comes to you distraught over their relationship with another person. Your understanding of the cards you pull is that the situation won't get better. Your intuition about the client is that they are emotionally unable to accept or benefit by this message in their current state.

Do you tell them the truth anyway, or something else?

Note: I identify as "fortune-teller" but naturally I come across a great deal of "counsel" in readings, certainly.

I tell the truth as it is presented to me. Oftentimes this exceeds my own intuition/judgments on the matter and gives the client what they needed.

In most of my readings these days, the 'fortune' and the 'counsel' unravel and present themselves to me alongside each other. The intuition receives it, and the logic may organize it a bit, but then the fingers just move and, perhaps on a more conscious level, I feel more like a witness to the story that is unfolding.

In general, I don't believe there is a problem that cannot ultimately be resolved...that problems are stepping stones to solutions. I'm sure that carries over into my reading of the cards; if they suggest a harsh outcome and nothing else, I give the harsh outcome. I do have a lot of internal dialogue happening before such a thing is given however, and there is a sense of "emptiness" I get when there is nothing more to say on a matter.

A client's well-being is ultimately in their own hands; if they are emotionally unable to accept or benefit from the current message, then perhaps it is being given to them for a later time- I don't really know. It may just be one small part of a bigger breakthrough for them down the road, so I give it anyway. They have chosen to seek information, so I tap into the current flow of information they seek and tell them what I see, whether it's fortune-telling, guidance, or some mix of both.

kaif

i find myself in this situation a lot, and for me, the most ethical thing i can do as a reader is to be focused on advice about what to do next when it all goes pear-shaped. it's like, "okay, you should be prepared for failure in this area - here's something you can do to cope or improve your life afterwards". there is definitely a struggle between being real and being kind, but as long as a reader makes an honest effort to maintain that balance, the trauma can be lessened a lot more.

Sibylline

I've been in this situation several times with distraught clients. While new clients may see me as a "fortune teller," my style leans towards counseling. In that regard, I have a tendency to turn around the reading from divination into counseling by giving clients a way to make sense of their own situation by becoming participants in the reading.

In that regard, I'm mindful of how I deliver difficult news. For me, empathy and presenting a non-fatalistic point of view is key. I use phrases like, "the energy of this relationship is moving in this direction. Now, would you like to explore your options?" If the answer is "yes," then I do a a small spread to explore what can be done to better their situation. By presenting an alternative pathway(s), it gives clients more agency in deciding how to proceed after they leave the reading. It puts the power in their hands to change their lives if they choose to.

For really emotional clients, I pull out a gentle & healing oracle deck after the reading. I tell my clients to choose a card and then explain what they see in that card without any direction from me. It allows the clients to see that card as a reflection of what's going on with them internally and what they know, deep down, what must be done (almost like an ink-blot test). Sometimes all it takes is having clients verbalize what they haven't been able to say to anyone else that allows their healing process to begin. The oracle card is just the tool to allow that to happen.

My regular clients know what kind of reader I am. They automatically reach for the oracle deck on my table because they like that an oracle card can give them food for thought between readings.

danieljuk

If they come already distraught, they must know they are under stress or there is problems in their love life. If they ask about love, I think you have to tell the truth but don't leave them hanging or without support. If it's a general reading, that is more tricky if you reveal or not.

However I have noticed (I don't read professionally) but in the majority of times I have told someone bad love news or interpreted a reading with that, they just ignore what you tell them anyway and don't believe you.

Tarot readings can't be just what someone wants to hear or something positive to cheer them up, sometimes they are difficult to hear or handle but it will be helpful in the end :)

Absynthe

Had this situation many times, I don't do counselling (I'm not qualified) I just read cards and let querents make up their own minds about what to do. They come to me for answers, I make sure they get the best one I'm capable of. I trust people to be adults and able to handle the answers as they are presented. I've rarely had a relationship reading that turned out what the person wanted to hear. Most of the time its what they don't want to hear. Never had anyone breakdown in tears as result of hearing it. I actually saw marriage for a woman who feared that was the case and was getting ready to run before he popped the question. Its not always bad news they are seeking a haven from.

Often this person will return months or weeks later and confirm what they were told. Even if they didn't like it or chose to ignore it, basically they would come back and say, yes this happened, if indeed it did happen. Either way, they are usually somewhat interested that the reading turned out to be true. I do readings, not fortune telling, not counselling. I think there is nothing wrong with readings...aka reading the cards. What the other person does with that information is up to them. To me, that's empowerment.

When people are distraught, what they are most distressed about is the lack of clarity, certainty, inability to listen to their intuition by holding out hope where there is none. Once what they already know is confirmed a lot of that distress dissipates. Even if they don't want to hear it, it is still relieving to get an answer one way or the other.

Barleywine

However I have noticed (I don't read professionally) but in the majority of times I have told someone bad love news or interpreted a reading with that, they just ignore what you tell them anyway and don't believe you.

Even professional (non-tarot) advice is often ignored. My sister has COPD and has been told that if she keeps smoking it will slowly kill her, but if she quits its progress will slow considerably. So she keeps right on smoking.

I try not to give "advice," just describe situations and ways in which they can be understood as challenges or opportunities to be negotiated with the insights offered by the cards. I don't say "Do this and all will be well." Rather, I'm more likely to say "There is a path that may lead out of this situation, if you choose to take it." Then I explain the supporting or countering influences suggested by the spread, and put the choice whether to act on that knowledge into the querent's hands. This is the main reason that I strive to promote the querent's "ownership" of the reading. I'm not a "wisdom dispensing machine," just a humble "interpreter of signs" that may shed light on the way ahead.

SunChariot

I try not to give "advice," just describe situations and ways in which they can be understood as challenges or opportunities to be negotiated with the insights offered by the cards. I don't say "Do this and all will be well." Rather, I'm more likely to say "There is a path that may lead out of this situation, if you choose to take it." Then I explain the supporting or countering influences suggested by the spread, and put the choice whether to act on that knowledge into the querent's hands. This is the main reason that I strive to promote the querent's "ownership" of the reading. I'm not a "wisdom dispensing machine," just a humble "interpreter of signs" that may shed light on the way ahead.

That is very much my attitude too. I never tell people what to do. It's more of a if you do this, this will be the result. And sometimes why they are finding themselves in the situation they are in, their part in creating it. But I try to steer away from telling the querent what to do, deciding for them. I won't even take a question asking what they "should" do. I believe they need to make that decision themselves. They cards are there to give them the info the need to make the best decision, but not to decide for them, imo

Babs