How big are your hands?

What is the maximum length of card you can shuffle, holding lengthways?

• 10cm (or less than 10cm)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 11cm (Urania Thoth)

• 11.5cm

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 12cm (most USG/LoS)

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 12.5cm

• 13cm

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 13.5cm (Medieval Scapini is 13.2cm)

• 14cm (DruidCraft is 14cm)

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • 14.5cm

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I can shuffle 15cm +

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

SunChariot

I don't know the length of my hands and don't have a measuring tape handy. But they are pretty big. I am tall for a woman (5'7") and may hands are pretty big. I never met a deck I had any difficulty shuffling. And I have one that is huge as well. I like big decks, you see the images more clearly.

Babs

swimming in tarot

I guess I'm a dunce, but I can't figure why I'd hold a deck lengthwise to shuffle, when it's so much easier to hold the cards crosswise? Or is it about that snazzy card shark move, riffle and bridge, in the video link? Never seen that method before today!

I feel it's kindest to the cards to overhand shuffle; that way you can move backward and forward among the cards in the receiving hand, randomizing the order, using new slots, and though it's slower, I'm taking time to focus on the question anyhow. The riffle and bridge method looks almost mathematically predictable in how the cards are going to be rearranged: divide by two, alternate left and right, divide by two again, alternate left and right again. The more skilled the shuffler, the more predictable the shuffle using that method, I'd say.

jema

I find shuffeling is my least concern about decks. I just swirld them on the table. I so prefer big cards so I can see the images.

Bookwight

I'm tall for a woman, almost 5'8", and have long thin piano-player hands. 19 cm from wrist to tip of middle finger. 22 cm stretch from tip of thumb to tip of middle finger, though I can stretch it to 23.5 cm if I really try (all that practice playing chords, scales, and octaves, doncha know). I voted for DruidCraft size, since I have those and can shuffle them fairly easily, though they do tend to make my hands tired after a bit.

UrbanBramble

does it count if I hold the deck the shorter way to shuffle? Lots of tall decks I shuffle from the sides. It works just as well with a little practice.

Also how bendable the deck is makes a huge difference.