Ex-Pros: why did you give it up?

LaLaToro

To all those who used to read for money: why did you stop?

starla

Hi :)

I still do written readings online and I love this medium - it gives me time to get across what I really mean to say. However, for a short while I worked on a premium rate phoneline. I really wasn't prepared for the speed of it, the flippancy of some of the questions that I was asked, people's occasionally aggressive responses to my comments and the feeling of performance pressure. I found that it wasn't really worth it for my temperament and left me stressed.

Starla
:)

Grizabella

For me, being paid for readings was what caused me to keep doing it, not to stop. I don't think I'll ever stop. I've read for money and for free or barter, but reading for money isn't something I expect to stop any time soon. On the other hand, I'll never stop reading for free and for barter either.

Darkmage

I don't have a business license and the cities in the Phoenix metro area started cracking down on that a while ago. I need to look around and see if one will cover most cities in the Valley or if I need a separate one for each. That's more leg work than I feel like doing atm. OK, not really leg work, but still--I'm not keen on sending out a batch email right now.

I still read for friends. My fee is dinner, drinks, whatever. It's also an excuse to go out for sushi. ;) I'll be reading at a friend's party in about a month. This is my birthday gift to her as normally I'd charge about $20 for 15 minutes, or $80/hr, or $150/hr base for parties. Finding a deck that will fit her Alice in Wonderland theme will be a stretch, though. I'm thinking Deviant Moon or Marseille Cats.

As for clients, they ran the gamut when I read publicly. Most were pretty good. I tend to be best with the skeptics and the curiosity seekers. The 'fishers' and the people who wouldn't take responsibility for their lives made me want to drink very very heavily and not for fun. :/

SunChariot

I used to focus more on the reading part. Although of course I will still read for a client who wants me to.

But right now I am focusing more on my monthly blog (which includes a contest for a free reading) and on writing my Tarot book.

Babs

LaLaToro

The business part of this craft is almost equally intriguing to me. My entire life, I've only seen one 'fortune teller' and I only saw the building, never went inside. I've never seen a reader at a carnival or through friends or otherwise. I've encountered plenty of divination paraphernalia, but I was the one who was pursuing it and it's very hush hush with people around me.
Thank you all for the responses! I feel like I'm learning about something from another planet sometimes! I guess southern USA becomes it's own tiny world with most things.

Darkmage

Thanks for the recommendation. The deck is cute, but at $115 it's not coming home with me. I don't have the free cash to drop on it. Also, at that price, it wouldn't be used for public readings.

My friend likes both the Marseille Cats and Deviant Moon, so I'll be taking both and most likely reading with both. They don't see enough love IMO. Besides, if they get damaged, they're easily replaced for about $20 each.

She's going to advertise that I'm doing readings on her party invites and I'll have a tip jar on my table. So one could say I'm still semi-pro.

As for the business end, it's just like any other form of self-employment. Document everything, get an accountant if you can afford it, and the 1099-R form is your friend.

olivia1

I quit because the money was unreliable. I hated to listen to random people go on forever as if their love problems are the most important thing in the world. They're not. I also felt bad that old people were blowing their SSI on 5.99 per min with me but then didn't have enough money for basic needs. Also I quit because I want tarot to be fun and these people were stressing me out to the fact that something I once enjoyed turned into a job that I dreaded

Garran

I had to stop reading because the "New Age" store I was working at changed ownership and eventually went out of business, as did most of the stores in my general area. I've been looking for a "safe" place to read but so far haven't been able to find a place. I won't read from my home unless I know the client, or the client has been referred to me.

Kelly
The Garran