for those of you with backup copies

swimming in tarot

For those of you with backup copies of the same deck/same edition of the same deck, do you find that these "identical" decks perform the same as each other for you, or do they have differing personalities? I hope this isn't too mad of a question, but I'm hoping that tarot people understand these things. :)

Laurelle

I find that they work the same way.

Grizabella

I've seen some readers who feel that the old deck is better, but I think it's just that they've grown so accustomed to it that the old deck has become like an extension of themselves and that gives a lot of comfort and confidence when reading. A new deck is all stiff, slick and shiny and has to be used a whole lot to equal the comfort of the old deck. But in reality, both work the same.

I used to get backup decks but I'm going to be 70 years old later this year and I doubt I'll wear out any of my decks even if I live to be 100, which I asked Creator to allow me to do ;). I do have some duplicates left, but I think only one or two that I can think of.

Even cards with card stock that people think is flimsy really aren't fragile. The thin stock makes them easier to shuffle and I think that actually helps not to damage them. One of my decks that I adore for its card stock as well as its imagery is the Lisa Hunt Fairytale deck. The deck just shuffles like a dream.

swimming in tarot

Most interesting! Then based on your responses, it is fair to extrapolate from people's experiences of their individual decks. I know we all do it, but hadn't stopped to wonder, until now, whether the same press run might spawn different individuals, like fraternal twins/miltuplets.

And, Grizabella, you might want to hang onto that Fairytale Tarot, as it seems to be out of print...Amazon asking price is about a grand, alas!

Ace

I always use multiple copies of a deck. At times, I may have them scattered around the house: one in the living room, one in my office, one at the kitchen table.... My partner makes me clean up too much to do that much any more!

I have known people who are so married to one COPY of a deck that they use it even though it is mostly unreadable now. One woman at the Psychic Fair I started with would do that until she felt she had to start another copy and with our encouragement did. And she didn't find it was as different as she thought!

So, I don't agree with the "special copy" idea, but that is me.

barb

Le Fanu

I'm a special case ;)

I get back-up copies but with my gimlet eye I often find differences in printing, a slight lightness in colour, not saturated enough and it bothers me. I had a couple of Vieville back ups, same publisher, same edition, but they were too light for me compared to my first copy so I got rid of them because I knew I'd never learn to like them quite as much.

I have had this experience a few times. I have four FX Schmid Cosmic Tarot decks an (again) one is too light compared to the others - so I don't like it. Then a Morgan Greer, printed in Italy has a couple of out of focus cards so (again) it spoils things rather.

But all being well - assuming I am satisfied with the second or third or fourth copy - then I keep them safe and untouched. I couldn't possibly use one at home, one at work, one in the kitchen, one wherever. They are kept *box fresh.*

So when I get another copy of a deck, I compare it very closely with the one I love. I'm thinking of getting another copy of the Japaridze because I love it so much and if it goes into a 2nd printing that's often when differences creep in. I like the edition currently available and would hate it to be different. However, I have to add that I find LoS decks the most consistent of all the tarot publishers - I have never noticed differences in colouring between editions.

It's always a risk.

Yarrow

I have a RWS from circa 1986 that I love.

I started reading for others quite seriously this past year, and went out and bought...wait for it!.... Another identical (though shiny) RWS.

To me, they work identically, but I do love my old deck!

Kindest,
Yarrow

feynrir

They're completely different.

Absolutely different for each deck, 100%. In my experience. :)

But see, I'm a cheater here and sometimes make the differences very noticeable... I often modify one (read: semi-compulsively trim) and keep the spare pristine, so that definitely affects it.

Even between unmodified similar decks, subtle differences like color variations, slight cardstock textures (especially if one is more worn than the other), etc. really do give decks different personalities. Even modern, slick, yellow box RWSes have proven to have color variation within the past year.

Ace

I guess I see decks as tools like a wrench is a tool. We get used to one that particularly balances well and fits our hand (after a lot of use it has worn in for us) but if we MUST (and for me it is a must: I can't use really worn or dirty cards when I work, it is unprofessional IMHO) then we can break in a new copy of our favorite tool.

But to each their own, there is no one true way.

barb

greatdane

I don't see as "back up" copies

For two of my favorite decks, I have one for me, one for others. I reorder the deck I use for others when I'm reading for someone else, but I don't generally reorder mine, as it's just for my readings. Do I see a difference? No, just what my use is for them.
As far as back up copies of decks I just want to make sure I have more of, I don't have any.