No more decks for me for a while :(

RunningWild

I have had long stretches (years worth) where finances were too tight to buy, among other things, tarot decks. What I've found since my finances have picked up is that I no longer want all those decks I thought I wanted in the beginning. Your profile says you have over a hundred decks but that it's too many to list. Perhaps now is the time to organize all that and take stock of the decks that you do have. And use them, of course.

MysticMoonlight

My deck buying has also been on hiatus as of late due to financial reasons...*sighs* but the silver-lining has been getting to know the decks I already have even better. I've been spending quality time with them that I likely would've never had I kept accruing more decks and it has been fantastic! I've bonded with my Tarot of Vampyres more than ever and my Crystal Visions as well. I highly recommend breaking out some of your long neglected gems if you have any and letting them strut their stuff :)

KarmaPug

My husband told me that I can't purchase anymore decks until I start earning enough money using my current decks to support my "tarot habit". :p I currently have only the decks I'm really interested in owning, so unless something really peaks my interest, then it's just time to get know my current decks inside and out. But with having more than one, I find sometimes I'll want to work with a particular deck for about a week, then realise I hadn't worked with a different one, so I'll devote some time on that deck to become acquainted again.

jolie_amethyst

I have had long stretches (years worth) where finances were too tight to buy, among other things, tarot decks. What I've found since my finances have picked up is that I no longer want all those decks I thought I wanted in the beginning. Your profile says you have over a hundred decks but that it's too many to list. Perhaps now is the time to organize all that and take stock of the decks that you do have. And use them, of course.

This is excellent advice. I did something similar myself when I realized my "want" list was out of control, and I wasn't using all I already had...which is a very small collection compared to many others here, but there were still decks I'd looked at once and put away.

Once I thought long and hard about it, there was only one "must have" deck remaining among my wants. All the others were "it would be nice"--and by that I mean, "it would be nice if I found this at a yard sale for 50¢", not "it would be nice if I could afford it at retail". I bought that one must-have deck (the Tyldwick), and nothing else has been compelling since. Additionally, I've found I'm spending more time exploring what I have, rather than pining over what I don't.

Barleywine

I've bonded with my Tarot of Vampyres more than ever. . .

I had an irrepressible (and impish) vision of the subtitle from the old Roman Polanski movie The Fearless Vampire Killers: "Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are In My Neck." :) I intend to spend more quality time with the last deck I bought, the Chrysalis, while on buying hiatus since I really want to explore its oracle potential. The one spread I've done with it so far was phenomenal.

Holly doll

That can work well on so many levels!

You get to have conversations with & make friends with some or all of your collection again... :)

You get to see which decks still interest you & which decks you've decided don't have that "pull" anymore... :rolleyes:

You perhaps put some aside for trades/sales etc. - who knows - you may get a deck you've been wanting for next to nothing... ;)

You then compile a "list" for Sept. of the decks that you feel drawn to... :bugeyed:

At the end of Sept., you go over your list & see which ones still hold your interest - or - if you decide to wait until Oct. to make any new purchases... :confused:

Metafizzypop

Think of all the starving children in developing countries that don't have any tarot decks to play with at all.

Winterchild

I've done an analysis of my finances for the next six months, and things are looking really grim. No more decks for me for at least half a year... *cries* :(

I agree with the other posters here... more time to get to know the decks you have... I slowed right down over the past two years... AT is a great enabler though ;)

But I wanted to say hi to a fellow NZer... not sure where you are but I am in the Nelson area, and my favourite deck is also the Deviant Moon :) The decks I have purchased over the past 6 months or so, have all been from Patrick!!

Welcome to AT Clockwork Ghost... love the username too.

Barleywine

Think of all the starving children in developing countries that don't have any tarot decks to play with at all.

Think of all the "slave laborers" in China who might have to go without supper if we don't buy the decks they produce. They might all have to go to work for Apple! Where would we be then?

kell

I am in the same situation. Last year I went on a major tarot purchasing binge. Now, reality is setting in, and I'm finding the need to sell some of the decks.
It has changed my whole attitude on 'wants'. And while I break the habit, I'm purposely not watching/reading deck reviews. No need to tempt fate.
In the meantime, I am doing what many of you are saying, taking time to connect with the decks I do have, and actually using them. This has been very rewarding.
However, I must confess: I will save to get the new Pearls of Wisdom, and hopefully, Fantastic Menagerie. (even though the price of the book and deck is almost a mortgage payment!!)