Old English - some thoughts

Debra

Thanks, Umbrae....I've been working with this deck lately; the link really helps!

WolfSpirit

Thanks for that link, Umbrae.
I don't have the Old English yet but it is on my wish list. It is so helpful to learn from the author herself what she intended with the cards.

SiriusOne

Lovers

I also bought this deck, for my first traditional one. I just noticed that on the "Lovers" card there is no arrow for the bow which is in the hands of Cupid. Compared to Classical tarot, there is an arrow. What does this possibly mean?

Alan Ross

Here are my thoughts on the Wands:

Two: The image doesn't match up with the LWB that I can see. However, one common interpretation for this card that I frequently use is the beginning of an ambitious enterprise, a good start. Another common significance is a period of waiting. The picture shows a farmer plowing or sowing seeds. That's where it begins. After the seeds are sown, a period of waiting follows while the seedlings sprout and the new plants gradually mature.

Three: One interpretation for the Three of Wands is expansion and new growth. The picture for this card shows three bunnies. How long will it be before there are six bunnies? Twelve bunnies? As prolific breeders, rabbits are an excellent symbol for expansion.

Four: We have a mother peacock frolicking with her chicks in a field of saplings. Maybe the saplings represent the "fruits of labor" given in the LWB? Perhaps the peacock and chicks represent a holiday or period of rest and enjoyment? I'm stretching here.

Five: The five crows in this card are competing and in conflict with the farmer. ("Where's my shotgun, Beth?")

Six: The LWB mentions "provision." The famer's wife is "providing" the chickens with feed. I'm stretching here as well.

Seven: Standing firm against the wind. Overcoming the challenge of rough weather.

Eight: Harvest, a very busy time for a farmer, with lots of rapid activity.

Nine: From the LWB, "a temporary break in the struggle." The bales are just sitting in the field. No one is around. Maybe the workers are taking a break.

Ten: "Many burdens." That wagon looks like quite a burden to me.

Spacegoat

the spacegoat has landed

The deck I came so close to loving - thank you for trying to make some sense out of the 'hidden meanings' within the notoriously vague cups suit - the suit that really lets the deck down. My feeling was / still is that Maggie Kneen was on a deadline to finish the deck and simply left the cups 'til 3 hours before they were required at the printing press. What a shame!

6 Haunted Days

I just got this today and while I am in love with it and find the majority of the artwork intricately detailed and full of depth.....yes, it's the Cups Suit. It's almost like she took her time and created this exquisite suit of Coins, then an intricate Sword suit, less embellished Wands and lastly barely any time to finish the Cups. It's not even that it is just people w/ instruments, it's that they're small, tiny and not very detailed. Compare it to the suit of Coins and the difference is very striking! The Coins are just bursting with life, energy and movement. Detail, meaning. I can only assume as someone said above, that a deadline was approaching and she had to whip up the suit at the last minute.

I am going to love and use this deck, this I know right off (I also printed off that wonderful page of descriptions an At'er wrote up awhile back on this deck), but those Cups will always leave me wanting.

Miss 6 :love:

.traveller.

I recently acquired this deck and I am very content with it. I actually like that the Cups suit isn't so busy. I am so content with this deck that I no longer have any interest in purchasing any new decks. Right now, I don't know if I will even buy the two decks that remain on my wishlist. It's a very peculiar feeling and I am enjoying it.

The only alien thing I had to get accustomed to were the very feminine males. Except for the ones with beards, all the figures look like teenage girls... the bearded ones look like teenage girls in drag. The King of Swords is one of the more masculine figures, and the King of Cups is one of the most feminine (keep mistaking him for the Queen).

This deck complements my Bizzarro nicely, I don't use them together but I can go from one to the other without a hitch. I like that.