Golden Tarot (Kat Black) Revisited

Le Fanu

I don't really see that knowing where the images come from is a problem. I think it's only a problem if you already know the images anyway. Like I really can't deal with the Mona Lisa as the High Priestess wearing a mitre in the da Vinci Tarot.

Many of the images in the Golden I am familiar with but they are not images which have been "overplayed" as it were. The problem I have with the Touchstone is just that. Henry VIII's wives. Anne of Cleves with a bandage on her head (can't remember which card it is). That Danish princess who almost married Henry VIII on the 2 of Swords (with her hands clumsily adjusted). And that 3 of Swords featuring Katherine Howard with her eyes all krazy, like. We know the stories and that might be an advantage for some, but not for me.

I think the images in the Touchstone are much more overdone. I am familiar with both art periods of these decks but it's the Touchstone that jars the most. That's partly (I've said this before lots of times) because the art from the Touchstone came from a period when perspective was much more mastered so the collaging stands out more. One of the charms of the Golden is that the "off" perspective of the collaging actually works in the deck's favour, since it is a produce of the middle ages anyway, before Alberti's treatise on perspective.

If you don't actully know the images already then knowing that it is by Van der Weyden from an altarpiece in Ghent isn't going to spoil anything. I love knowing about the sources. Same with the Victorian Romantic and Bohemian Gothic; both decks wthout familiar images. Once I know, if it's just an image sourcing, it doesn't affect my meanings. Only if I know a story behind it might it change things. I continue to love the Golden.

(Thoughful; I was also confused by the "lion back" but I presume Freddie is talking about the card back, not that relicary (?))

Thoughtful

Hopefully when Freddie comes back on he will put us both right as to where this lion is. Glad it was not only me that could not spot the lion.
l suppose there is really no problem with seeing where Kat got her images, l thought it may take some mystery out of her tarot. lf l am being honest maybe an element of laziness creeps in as well:p
l also mentioned earlier on here that l have the Touchstone. The images themselves seemed so flat compared to the Golden. Having just retrieved them from the back of my desk, l do rather like the Queen of Wands but the 3 Swords makes me laugh which l know it should not given its meaning. The expression!
LF Did you buy the matte version of the Golden after all.

Freddie

Hi All,

Sorry about that as I was referring to the back pattern of the deck. I tried to make the picture bigger, but I couldn't get it to save at the bigger size.

Freddie

Attachments

• Golden_Tarot_10.jpg
    Golden_Tarot_10.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 144

Thoughtful

Ah! l thought you meant something in the link picture. Yes l do see what you mean now on the tarot backs as Le Fanu thought.

Freddie

I must admit I quite like the red hair going on in this pack. The woman in '10 of Cups' is just a real beauty. I have kind of had a 'Godess Mary Magdalene' thing going with on with these ladies here. With all the gold and bling this deck should come off as upper crust, but for some reason it feels very earthy to me.

Freddie

Attachments

• Cups10.jpg
    Cups10.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 139