Thoughts on Books by Barbara Moore?

gregory

tarot heart said:
Ok everybody, I don't think anyone GOT my question here. I asked what everyone thought of her books, not her. I was disappointed to find out that she "scripted" the deck. At this point, I don't even know if the artist of Pagan Cats knows anything about tarot or she just created cards based on what Ms. Moore gave her in the script. I don't really care about the pseudonym aspect at all. I just mentioned it because it was a fact that people may not have known because her name is not mentioned on the deck.

(edited by Moderator)
And my first post said I like some and not others. And many posts have said good things about her books.

But YOUR first post did also say, and more prominently: What do people think of this author as well as what did people think of her books. And that you were "disappointed" that she had written under a pseudonym - as so many MANY authors do. I quote it as a reminder to you:

tarot heart said:
Hi all,

What does everyone think of the books written by Barbara Moore that comes with many tarot sets. I was kind of disappointed to find out that she has written the book for Tarot of Pagan Cats under a pseudonym.

What are your thoughts on this tarot author?

th

So now you say you don't care about the pseudonym aspect at all ?

And then you raised a separate point that implied that she had written "too many" companion books. Which, again, has nothing to do with the quality of her work - except in so far as publishers think well enough of her to hire her a lot. Which suggests that she is doing OK. Publishers don't hire writers if people show their dislike by - not buying !

I say again that the very fact that I hadn't noticed she wrote the book for the Gilded and thought (off the top of my head, when I wasn't thinking :|) that it was Ciro's work shows - to me - that she manages to fit what she writes pretty seamlessly to the deck she is writing about - and that in the case of a scripted deck, it is more than appropriate for the scripter to write the book to go with it.

So - I think she's OK - and I like some of her books but not all. And she can write under the name of Winnie the Pooh if she likes - it makes no difference to WHAT she writes, or to its quality.

GreenMoonBeam

avalonian said:
This thread has now prompted me to download two Barbara Moore books to my Kindle (where they have a lot more chance of being read than a paper copy would). I've had a quick look and I have to say that I like her writing style.

:) :) :)

This thread has now prompted me to go look at those pesky Pagan Cats })
I truly thought I was de-enabled. Sighs.

I must say I am always pleased to see that Barbara has made a contribution to a deck I purchase. :heart:

Meow, meow. :)

tarot heart

In light of all the information I now have of this deck, I think Barbara Moore was cheated out of recognition for the work she did contribute to the creation of this deck. Much as I prefer decks created by the artist and explained by the artist, I think Barbara should have gotten the credit she deserved. I don't know how or who leaked the fact that she scripted this deck from the beginning. In fact, I wonder how many decks are out there that are scripted where the script writer never received credit. It is a true shame if marketing is more important than giving credit where credit is due.

gregory

That is a turnaround... Are you now saying Lo Scarabeo was wrong to ask her to use a pseudonym ? She would have had to agree... and she could have refused if she'd liked.

I don't think this information was exactly "leaked" - that's more for state secrets. But the first post I can see here, and the first I'd heard of this, was in the Pagan Cats thread, where you said that was your understanding that she'd written the book - ah yes - then you said she had announced it on blogtalkradio, and that you'd seen it on tarotlady.com - where I have to say I cannot see anything much except the chance to buy readings. If she said it publicly, I wouldn't exactly call that a leak...

Here's your post about that.

So - I guess you were the person who brought this information to AT. Though I'm sure most were already aware of all the other books she had written - even if I slipped up badly over the Gilded :D

tarot heart

Hi Gregory,

Well, I didn't mean leaked to AT, I meant leaked at all. I think she brought it up herself on her blog actually, but I'm not sure. The first time I heard about it was on a show called Blogtalkradio when she was interviewed by the hosts of the show. Somewhere during that interview Barbara mentioned that Lo Scarabeo was coming out with a new catalog and they didn't want two items with her name on it. But don't quote me, that's what I seem to remember.

No, it isn't a turnaround. I was never trying to put down Barbara. I should have worded my original post more specifically. I have edited it. I was just reading a thread on the Mystic Dreamer Tarot and I think it was Greatdane who said the companion book (by Barbara Moore) to the deck was poorly done. Greatdane said it seemed as though the author and the artist had not collaborated well. Others in that thread said they liked the book. Those are the kind of opinions about the author's works I was looking for.

It doesn't really matter, since Barbara did not do a companion book for Pagan Cats anyway. It's just a very brief LWB. If this deck was her creation and the artist's only contribution was following her scripts, then I think Barbara deserves more of the credit for the deck. In light of how much work she put into Pagan Cats, I am amazed that she would agree to having it published under a pseudonym. I think the complaint should be lodged with Lo Scarabeo. :)

th

gregory

If a complaint were needed, I would think it was up to her to make it. She is the only person actually affected by it. And as I imagine her fans follow her blog, they know anyway.

But - she agreed; she said herself she agreed. And most people know that many of Lo Scarabeo's decks are scripted. She seems to have felt the collaboration worked as she is proud of the deck. And - I think calling the artwork "the artist's only contribution" is somewhat dismissive. It took both of them to create the deck.

What actually matters is that it is a lovely deck that is a lot deeper than most give it credit for. Barbara is proud of it, so she must herself have felt it worked. I can't see her having let it go out until she was satisfied. The ONLY issue is the pseudonym - which as many have pointed out is normal practice in many areas. She knows what people are saying about the deck, whether or not everyone commenting knows it's hers. If I were in her place, the fact that people like it is what would count, not that they knew it was mine.

Debra

The inner workings of publishing and production companies are a complete mystery to most consumers. We have no idea how mainstream publishers work, much less tarot publishers.

So if I'm correct, for some tarot publishers, and I think it's really Lo Scarabeo we're talking about here, the typical production process goes something like this: Someone(s) has the job of thinking up concepts for tarot decks, I assume they brainstorm and solicit ideas etc.--and they find an appropriate person to "script" ie elaborate the concept and describe what should be on the cards (in this case, Barbara)--and also an appropriate artist to do work-for-hire--AND in the midst of all this, pseudonyms may be used for marketing purposes.... Who's supposed to be keeping track of all this? :laugh:

It would be interesting to know if the idea of a Pagan Cats deck came from Barbara Moore, or if this was already proposed as the subject of the deck when she took on the job of scripting it.

I think I understand where tarot heart is coming form. A "production process" like this, once you have an idea of how it works, is so much more "business-like" than the inspired loner artist (Chronata!)--or the driven duets, like Crowley/Harris and Waite/Smith. I like tarot with a dash of the mystical. Talk about contracts and work for hire and all that jazz kinda kills the romance.

eta: I'm not intending to put words in tarot heart's mouth. I am both fascinated by how this business works as a business, AND, inconsistently, want to close my eyes and stop up my ears and believe that the Universe is directly guiding the artist through a totally wowee-zowee mystical process wooo wooo. Also, unicorns :laugh:

Lillie

Debra said:
The inner workings of publishing and production companies are a complete mystery to most consumers. We have no idea how mainstream publishers work, much less tarot publishers.

So if I'm correct, for some tarot publishers, and I think it's really Lo Scarabeo we're talking about here, the typical production process goes something like this: Someone(s) has the job of thinking up concepts for tarot decks, I assume they brainstorm and solicit ideas etc.--and they find an appropriate person to "script" ie elaborate the concept and describe what should be on the cards (in this case, Barbara)--and also an appropriate artist to do work-for-hire--AND in the midst of all this, pseudonyms may be used for marketing purposes.... Who's supposed to be keeping track of all this? :laugh:

It would be interesting to know if the idea of a Pagan Cats deck came from Barbara Moore, or if this was already proposed as the subject of the deck when she took on the job of scripting it.

I think I understand where tarot heart is coming form. A "production process" like this, once you have an idea of how it works, is so much more "business-like" than the inspired loner artist (Chronata!)--or the driven duets, like Crowley/Harris and Waite/Smith. I like tarot with a dash of the mystical. Talk about contracts and work for hire and all that jazz kinda kills the romance.

Have you read the bits in the Crowley/Harris letters where he bitches about whatever percentage share he thinks is his in whatever profits the venture might make.

It's hilarious. And disposes of any idea of a magically driven duo. Proper character, he was.

Anyway, I've been told I shouldn't mock the afflicted, and it's true, so I'll probably shut up now.
Although I will be thinking things and laughing a lot.

Debra

LOL Lillie, I just edited my post to add something about the business vs. mystical aspects, yeah. Crowley dissing Harris, yeah, and also, Pixie Smith's letter about her poorly paid job...

gregory

Well - to be right back on topic - whatever it was Barbara Moore asked of the artist turned out a VERY nice and VERY subtle deck. So - I think this work of this tarot author was a damn fine job.