Angels

Little Baron

I was hoping, since I have tried to search for this information and have come up with a lot of different opinions, that someone may be able to tell me who the angels in the Rider pack are and what significance they have to the said cards. I was hoping to then go on and study the angels; hopefully, giving me a greater understanding of the card.

The angels are on -

Judgement
Temperance
The Lovers

Appreciate all responses ...

LB

Vincent

LittleBuddha said:
I was hoping, since I have tried to search for this information and have come up with a lot of different opinions, that someone may be able to tell me who the angels in the Rider pack are and what significance they have to the said cards. I was hoping to then go on and study the angels; hopefully, giving me a greater understanding of the card.

The angels are on -

Judgement
Temperance
The Lovers

Appreciate all responses ...

LB
As with many symbols and cards in the Waite deck, not is all that it seems.

The Angel on Judgment is perhaps the easiest to identify. We know it is Michael because it is identified as such in Golden Dawn documents, and used in their rituals.

The next two are far more difficult. Paul Foster Case at one time says the 'Angel' on the Lovers is Raphael and another time says it is Michael. There are some reasons as to why someone might believe it to be either. For example, Raphael is associated with the sixth Sephira Tiphareth, and on the other side, the flames on the angel's head suggest it could be Michael.

But all this speculation, begs the question of whether the figure in the Lovers is an angel at all. Waite simply calls it a "great winged figure". And, if Waite fails to identify it as an angel, what else could it possibly be?

The Golden Dawn symbol/diagram called "The Garden of Eden before the Fall" is closely associated with this card. You can see a modern version of it here;
http://www.hermeticgoldendawn.org/eden1.htm
but if you have a copy of Israel Regardie's Golden Dawn, there is a much more detailed version.

If you read the essay, you should be able to see why the "great winged figure" might not be an angel, but something else entirely.

Which brings us to Temperance. Unlike the Lovers, Waite identifies the figure in Temperance as "A winged angel..."

but he has earlier given this caveat regarding this 'angel';

"The winged figure of a female--who, in opposition to all doctrine concerning the hierarchy of angels, is usually allocated to this order of ministering spirits--is pouring liquid from one pitcher to another"

Waite sees no apparent reason why the figure should be an angel.

The figure is undoubtedly descended fom earlier depictions of Temperance as one of the four Cardinal Virtues, and was traditionally shown as a winged angel.

Vincent

caridwen

It's difficult because as Vincent pointed out, different cards have different meanings. There is a general confusion between the Arch Angel Raphael and Michael. Older versions of the Lovers often show Cupid.

Michael: the Great Archangel - the ruler of Solar Fire. This angel with his red wings and flame hair also appears on the Judgement card. (some sources claim this to be the angel Raphael.)

Raphael - angel of air, personifying the superconscious pouring down benediction on the two figures below. (some sources claim this to be the angel Michael.)

Judgement on some cards show: Gabriel - the archangel of water (spirit and emotions).

Temperance: Michael - the archangel, he is related to fire and the sun.

Possibly yet not certain:

Raphael - The Lovers, super conscious, angel of air, God as healer, charity
Michael - Temperance, angel of fire and sun, Son of God, Holiness
Gabriel - Judgement, angel of water, calls to God, strength

Fulgour

VI The Lovers features Gabriel, complete with rainbow wings.
XIV Temperance aligns with Raphael, patron of travellers.
XVI The Tower has an energetic Uriel thundering just offstage.
XX Judgement brings Michael at last, performing her known duties.

[VI] Gabriel is the Angel of Annunciation, she brings Compassion
and she is the divine messenger who reveals God's will to humanity.

[XIV] Raphael is the Angel of Dawn, the Protector of the Earth,
which she heals, and the Chief of the Virtues. Her name means
"God has healed" and she is known as the "divine physician."

[XVI] Uriel means "light of God" and she is referred to as the
"fire of God." She is also known as the "flame of the sun" and
she protects against lightning, thunder, volcanic eruptions, etc.

[XX] Michael is the symbol of "Divine Justice." Her name signifies
"she who is like God" and she is considered the greatest of all angels.

caridwen

It's also interesting that Fulgour sees the angels as 'she'. Whereas I see them as male...

Vincent

caridwen said:
It's also interesting that Fulgour sees the angels as 'she'. Whereas I see them as male...
Getting the gender wrong is the least of Fulgour's mistakes.

Vincent

Fulgour

"She" is more Universal, whereas "He" is sex Exclusionary.
Without a need to foster male dominanated social issues,
she works well for Angels, and better still for God Herself.

caridwen

Fulgour said:
"She" is more Universal, whereas "He" is sex Exclusionary.
Without a need to foster male dominanated social issues,
she works well for Angels, and better still for God Herself.

I think the angels are traditionally male hence their names but calling them 'she' works well for me as well. Who is to say angels are male or female as indeed 'God' - when was the last time you saw any of them? lol

Goldenhair

And don't forget the fallen angel, Lucifer, on the Devil card.

Vincent

Goldenhair said:
And don't forget the fallen angel, Lucifer, on the Devil card.
Yes, she can be a real bitch.

Vincent