Temperance and the Hermit: what are they?

Parzival

Temperance and the Hermit : What Are They?

Temperance may be both ET and Angel, since both may be one and the same. An Angel is between human consciousness and ultimate Cosmic Mind, and so are at least some ET's as I understand from no direct encounters. But I think Waite wanted an Angel such as Michael or Raphael. The Hermit probably needs some life experience to be an accomplished, dedicated Hermit, and Hindu's think of the Hermit path as following the educational and family phases of life. There are, of course, exceptions. People can be temporary Hermits at any time. Waite's Hermit seems experienced.

ArcanoMáximo

But i don't know why but i think that maybe Waite'd wanted to give a holistic sense to the Hermit, in the sense of "Greek development". In Ancient Grecia you must develop your soul, mind and BODY too, all the Gods have one!hmmm...
And Frank, do you think the others angels maybe both too?
AM*

Parzival

Temperance and the Hermit

ArcanoMáximo said:
But i don't know why but i think that maybe Waite'd wanted to give a holistic sense to the Hermit, in the sense of "Grec develompment". In Ancient Grecia you must develop your soul, mind and BODY too, all the Gods have one!mmm...
And Frank, do you think the others angels maybe both too?

Maybe the Hermit sees the need for the Greek balance of mind and body, philosophic thought and athletic, active involvement in life. But this is out of an inner light of understanding, not from reading books or running races. The Hermit is inside the world, not out in it.
Not so sure about the Angels and the ET's --- maybe they're all on the side of the Good, but some could be up to no good. Some ET's seem to be more like poltergeists than spiritually guiding amd guarding Angels. Much mystery and confusion about these matters.

poivre

I don't know the answer but...
I always thought of the Hermit & Temperance as
angels that help us learn the lesson of patience.

ArcanoMáximo

ros
i don't know if i can handle the " patience" meaning here, they seem to be acting so much !!! I can reach that meaning in the 4 Swords, by example, but here is difficult to me. Don't you agree?

Now i remember that in a TV keyWord game Thread i saw The Judgement as the Spelbierg production " TAKEN" cause the image in this card seems similar to me as those movie images of abductions...How curios! Isn't it?

ArcanoMáximo

Some nights ago I went to the movies to see “Constantine”(Keanu Reeves’ last movie i guess) and I was completely impacted by the characteristics assigned to the character of the Archangel Gabriel, here a HYBRID played for Cate Blanchett. For me looks as one of the more astonishing images to assimilate with The Temperance being. Somebody else has been impressed too?

Here is a link for the movie site:
http://constantinemovie.warnerbros.com/

Draegyn

ArcanoMáximo said:
In this posts i said that in the RWS deck TheTemperance's being is an Alien more than an Angel

Today being the 23rd (2+3=5)
I was meditating on Major Arcana card #14 Temperance (1+4=5)
from the Rider-Waite Tarot.

Since I am relatively new to tarot I let my mind wander as I studied the card and some of my observations were as follows.

The Angel (my interpretation) represents our higher or spiritual selves. This spiritual representation is a subtle manifestation of the element "fire". Fire is also present in the sun to the right of the angel.

The angel is "grounded", although s/he does have wings so the element of air is present in relaxed state representing the intellect present but not actively engaged. Almost a full 2/3rds of the cards background is sky also representing the element air.

Is there some significance to the red with blue shading coloring the wings?

The Angels right foot is in a still pool of water representing being "grounded" in our emotional state and the creative force of water is also represented by the water "freed" of it's container the cup above the Angels midriff. The "freed" water is still controlled as it is still "contained between the cups.

I think this represents the positive energy of the creative power of our emotions when allowed freedom to express themselves in our higher consciousness (upper midriff) yet still in a balanced "controlled" environment. We control the emotions through temperance, rather than be carried away by their potential power. Anyone see A Perfect Storm or White Squall?

The Angels left foot is on land representing the balance between our emotional/subconscious and the conscious/physical world represented by earth. To the Angels right is a path leading from our emotional/creative subconscious across the earth towards the sun and higher peaks of worldly achievement representing the masculine force of earth.

To the left of the Angel is a lush garden of flowers, I think they are irises (is there any significance to Irises?) representing the nurturing, creative feminine force of the element earth.

The elevated vibration of five permeates this card. I ponder the significance of the Hierophant representing the primal vibration 5. Seems a paradox that the Hierophant representing the external controls society imposes upon us vibrating at a 5, but makes sense that the 14 Temperance has this relationship with the Hierophant as it represents the internal controls we impose upon ourselves.

Their seems a balance and harmony between the elements and although Spirit is represented in the dominating figure of the card, the Angel, it does not overpower the other elements. It seems to connect all the elements together through the focal point of our spiritual selves.

Power, calm but not restrained more relaxed. Perhaps the internal wisdom gained after strenuous change. Or the idea of marshalling internal resources to remain calm during the throes of change.

Any feedback?

input?

rcb30872

Hi

I just assumed that the figure in Temperance was an angel, and that the man in The Hermit was of middle age.

I would say that both Temperance and The Hermit are both about patience, as part of it. I see this as not making hasty decisions, and take your time to choose what you want, and to give it some thought instead of charging like a bull in a china shop.

Temperance is about finding a balance between opposing aspects of yourself. This could include masculine and feminine and material or worldly issues and spiritual aspirations. I would tend to say that there is a balance between emotional and intuitive side of you nature with that of rational thinking, as indicated by the fact that one foot is in the water and one foot is on the ground, or rock. Of course, it could mean a relationship in the sense between a man and a woman, where there is cooperation, compromise and sharing.

The Hermit can mean one of two things, one being feeling isolated and lonely and the other one would be having solitude. I would say that you need to enjoy time in solitude. This is the time that you can spend in "soul searching" where you would reflect upon what has happened in your life and who you are as a person, the latter could also indicate introspection as well. By doing this you would gain greater self-awareness and spirituality. Even though this could be quite distressing to some, it is a necessary process, which you would turn out to be a better person because you would have greater understanding of who you are and that you would be enlightened by the process, or at least at the end of the process. This card, would indicate more so of patience rather than Temperance. With the Hermit, not only would you gain patience, but you would gain tolerance and acceptance.

Bec

Rosanne

The things that I see in similiarity between The Hermit and Temperance are Moderation and self Control and the need to find the pefect mix between the opposing forces in your life. In Temperance that is of peace of mind and inner tensions; In the Hermit the need for inner quiet versus everyday pressures. In
The Hermit is also a requirement of standing back from a situation or removing physically away from the situation and in Temperance going into the situation to find the correct and confident place to stand.~Rosanne