K. Frank Jenson - The Story of the Waite-Smith Tarot

gregory

Abrac said:
If it is more information on Waite you are after, he wrote an autobiography called, Shadows of Life and Thought. I have been thinking about trying to track one down, but it will probably be filled with archaic words and phrases that make reading Waite so difficult. So I'm still thinking on this one. But if a person didn't mind spending a lot of time looking up words and working their way through it, it probably holds a lot of interesting information on the ol' boy.
Easily available - and not TOO pricey. (I just searched.)

Mimers

Mimers said:
The most worthwhile section for me was the section with the drawings from the Pictorial Key to the Tarot. I only wish they were bigger so that I could see all the details. Could we? is there anyplace on line maybe that we could view them in a larger size?

I found a site here http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/index.htm that shows the 1909 version of the RWS deck complements of Holly Voley. The pictures are big enough, though bigger would have been nice. We also get a sense of the original colors.

As for Waite's bibliography, maybe one day, but no time soon. There is a section of it in the back of the book with references to Tarot. Maybe there is a copy in the site above?

gregory

I just got my copy of the Jensen book. I think it's excellent - and I can't get excited about the language. His first language isn't English - well, so ??? :D It is easy enough to understand what he writes, and that's what counts ! and there is SO much in there.........

Fulgour

jmd said:
I suppose that I am curious as to what others do think.
I would be happy to review an extra copy! ;)

Mimers

Fulgour said:
I would be happy to review an extra copy! ;)

If you would like to borrow my copy, I would be happy to lend you mine. You could just mail it back when you are done reading it.

Fulgour

Hi :) Mimers! You have a PM...

mac22

jmd said:
As a number of people have now received and read the book, I thought I would remind those who so feel like it to add their thoughts...

I suppose that I am curious as to what others do think.

As I now look at the book with non-participatory eyes, it remains a book I would personally not only purchase, but recomment. Some of the editorial errors (a few) that I see I personally find a little annoying (though I am perhaps here still too close and involved), but on the whole, a book that has a style and content that is informative and has its own peculiar cadence.

The thread The Sun's 'extra' ray - a suggested explanation arises as an example of some considerations arising from reading Jensen's text. I had been aware of some of the 'problems' with this drawing for some time, and of Holly Voley's highlighting it as an 'Oh Shit!' line.

Only Jensen's book allowed for various bits of information to be brought together in a way that other considerations are easily considered. This, of course, is merely one example.

I personally consider that the book is well worth the read!

Hi,

I thought I knew a lot about RWS deck & the players :) I learned a great deal from this book--- I'm thrilled with it. I was also impressed with JMD and his service in getting this book out.

Mac

Teheuti

Mimers said:
I find myself longing to see more of Pamela Coleman Smith's artwork.
Spend some time rummaging around Holly Voley's website and you'll see copies of or links to most of Pixie's known art.

There were some things that I could have done without in this book. I really don't think I needed the lessons on copyright laws for one thing. It was hard not to feel that I was being drawn into a personal feud.
I understand your objection, however, this section will be of great interest to everyone writing or publishing a book where they are hoping to use the RWS images. Authors usually pay for permissions and very few tarot authors make any money worth speaking of on their books. The fees keep going up and more "conditions" apply. Far more U.S. Games deck images would appear in books if it weren't for the expense involved. Also, artists have to beware that they don't follow the RWS designs too closely (i.e., most recolorings are printed and sold privately, if at all). No one has been able to afford to go to court with U.S. Games over the validity of the copyright - the expensive would be prohibitive. Rumor has it that Lo Scarabeo came close with some of their RWS-look-alikes, but I don't know any details or even if the rumor is true.

In defense of U.S. Games, any copyright holder is required to defend their copyright or take the chance of losing it. What I do know is that the B&W images in Pictorial Key to the Tarot (1911) are not protected by copyright, while the 1909 deck supposedly is. Seems odd to me.

I think Frank's book is wonderful and recommend it highly to everyone who truly loves the Waite-Smith deck and is interested in how it came into being or who wants to understand the difference between the standard version (yellow box) and the so-called "Original" abomination. It's a MUST for collectors and anyone writing about the deck. Kudos to Frank and to JMD and the Association for Tarot Studies for publishing it.

Mary K. Greer

Tristram Shandy

A time to sidetrack this thread... ;)
Teheuti said:
In defense of U.S. Games, any copyright holder is required to defend their copyright or take the chance of losing it.
Such are the laws for trademarks but not for copyrights. You can't lose them by not defending them. *

Teheuti said:
What I do know is that the B&W images in Pictorial Key to the Tarot (1911) are not protected by copyright, while the 1909 deck supposedly is. Seems odd to me.
Sacred-texts.com has written a FAQ about the copyright status of the RWS deck. I can't find such oddity from the FAQ.

Teheuti

Tristram Shandy said:
Such are the laws for trademarks but not for copyrights. You can't lose them by not defending them. *\
Oops - my mistake. I was thinking of situations where you have to prosecute to keep the right to fictional characters - which I guess is a different issue.

Mary