Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - 2 of Cups

Sulis

Against a pale blue background we see 2 goblets, their stems are crossed and blue-green liquid pours from each one.
At the bottom of the card the two streams of liquid meet and form a Celtic, never ending or everlasting knot.

Twos are about balance, choices and about things coming together.
They are related to the Major Arcana card, The High Priestess and so to me they speak of the reflective time just before a decision is actually made. A pause without much action.

Here in the Two of Cups we see an emotional choice or a choice that will effect the emotions but more than that, I think this card depicts a coming together on an emotional level, or a blending of feelings.
The knot at the bottom of the card gives a real feeling of things becoming mixed together so that you can't really tell the 2 different feelings, emotions or people apart.... A merging to make something new that will appear in the three.

Attachments

• 2 of Cups.jpg
    2 of Cups.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 209

Enchanted

This is a really nice image for the two of cups. It's got a real simple sweetness about it.

It speaks of the pouring of emotions and becoming forever entwined. It made me think of a lovers embrace where you lose sight of whose legs and arms are whose and in that moment it doesn't really matter.

It also spoke to me of connection and anything that you pour your heart into, being forever connected. Even if you are no longer with that person romantically or you are no longer working on that creative project, its still always there. Love, be it of a person, place, anything, is eternal.

I sometimes get songs from images, I think because I love music as well and have a huge catalog of songs in my head that sometimes the image evokes a memory of a song. Bit weird but I've learned to pay attention over time.

With this card it was "Two Hearts" by Phil Collins. I think it is kind of appropriate.

Papageno

Sulis said:
At the bottom of the card the two streams of liquid meet and form a Celtic, never ending or everlasting knot.

The knot at the bottom of the card gives a real feeling of things becoming mixed together so that you can't really tell the 2 different feelings, emotions or people apart.... A merging to make something new that will appear in the three.

reminds me of the Tibetan Knot which speaks of the interconnection between all things. your actions should be carefully considered because they affect people and circumstances that you aren't even aware of.

Debra

Yes, tied, but they remain distinct.

Little Baron

This is a really nice Two of Cups.

Looking at the image, the way that they are tilted looks quite jolly and it is almost as if the cups play footsie with their stems.

Each one looks a different way - points in a different angle. Each has it's own content to pour. While they look very alike [almost the same], they both have individual qualities that they bring to this card. This joining together does not mean that we must lack independance as we mold with someone else.

Each cup gently pours a little to form the knot. Neither one chucks it's contents out or splashes the other. They are considerate in their joining. They both have respect for the space of the card that both inhabit. They appreciate each other, uncoditionally.

We are often told that out perfect partner is cut from the same stone as we are [or something to that effect]. And here, this card can show us a good friend or some kind of soul mate which mirrors aspects of our personality or interest in each other. Generally, the Two of Cups has always been my 'Jane card' [my best mate]. The two of us, like this image, are harmonious in the our friendship. We offer emotional contact. we respect each other. And we also like to have a couple of pints together some nights after work. We have been mates for thirty-one years and I can see our friendship in that woven knot - it holds all of our past together and continues to flow as we seek the future together. It is equally our own construction.

Great card.

LB

Sulis

LB I love what you say about the cups just tipping a little so they are in complete control of how much liquid they each pour out.
No swamping the other person with your own emotions here, consideration seems to be one of this card's messages.

Debra

Wow, these are great insights!

Enchanted

I like that as well, the image is considerate, very equal. Neither one is taking from the other or actually giving directly to the other, but pouring into the relationship as a whole. I guess there you have that third entity...

If the two cups are two people, the knot is the relationship, the third entity that is created, which is as individual as the people involved but wouldn't exist without continued input and respect.

WooMonkey

I'm used to the 2 of Cups with the couple gazing at each other, so I found it interesting that these cups tilt away from each other. They pour away from each other, and the flows link independently. The relationship is a connection, but it is not emeshed.
Once again, I love the background and water colors. :)

Sulis

WooMonkey said:
I'm used to the 2 of Cups with the couple gazing at each other, so I found it interesting that these cups tilt away from each other. They pour away from each other, and the flows link independently. The relationship is a connection, but it is not emeshed.
Once again, I love the background and water colors. :)

Oh I like that - the fact that the cups tip away from each other had completely evaded me....
Isn't it funny how you miss things that are really obvious? When I read your post WooMonkey, I thought 'no they don't' but they do.. :)
Thanks.