Book of Law Study Group: Calling all centres of pestilence!

Always Wondering

ravenest said:
What I get from Nuit is a message that we came here to expereince 'here' by choice ... so get into life and get on with it ... and enjoy it and offer every experience ( 'good' or 'bad') to the Goddess (because we are little manifestations of her ... coming here to experience the creation of beauty, wonder and amazement.)

For me, Nuit is MUCH easier to love than what I was taught about divinity as a yongster.

I am already lagging behind too. But I am going to take my time and reflect on this beautiful thought. I have in the past " turned things over" to a higher power, but more with a feeling of helplesness, with the bad stuff. I think it's time to change my attitude. Just in time for this study. :)

AW

Aeon418

Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.
similia said:
Crowley made this commentary, as I understand it to discourage an organised religion or doctrine being based on the BoL. Instead its up to each of us to come to our own conclusions and understanding. But I think its OK if we discuss our ideas together :D
From personal experience I regard that line in the Short Comment as a statement of fact and not a commandment. Just wait until we start discussing some of the more challenging parts of the Book of the Law to really find out what it takes to be a Centre of Pestilence. ;)

Grigori

Aeon posted this link elsewhere in this discussion.
http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/eoftg/index.html

And chriske recommended the book "The Law is for All".

I thought it might be good to ask what other references people have found of benefit while studying the Book of Law. Any resources or books of special use?

Aeon418

A collection of commentaries on Liber AL, including Crowley's old and new commentaries. Some of the other commentaries are of variable quality, but they may prove useful to some. Never been a big fan of Marcelo Ramos Motta, but some people find his work insightful. To each their own.

http://www.hermetic.com/220/index.html

Aeon418

A commentary by James A. Eshelman - Temple of Thelema.
http://aumha.org/arcane/ccxx.htm#top

It's incomplete, but there are some really good insights. It's well worth taking the time to read it.

Aeon418

Crikey! I forgot one of the most important written works connected to Liber Legis, not written by Crowley. Frater Achad's, Liber Thirty-One.
http://www.hermetic.com/browe-archive/pdf/liber31.pdf

Crowley himself credited Achad with the discovery of the numerical key to Liber Legis, and for a time hailed him as his magical son. Until Achad's rashness sent him spiralling into megalomania.

Aeon418

Commenting on the comment

While reading Crowley's commentaries on Liber Legis it's worth remembering that Crowley came to view his writing of the commentaries as a bit of a mistake. Try as he might, he was dissatisfied with every commentary he wrote, and eventually came to the conclusion that a diffinitive commentary was both impossible to write and unnecessary.

Here's Crowley's comment on the comment. (Old - 1911. New comment - 1920 approx)
AL III,40: "But the work of the comment? That is easy; and Hadit burning in thy heart shall make swift and secure thy pen."

The Old Comment
40. I do not think it easy. Though the pen has been swift enough, once it was taken in hand. May it be that Hadit hath indeed made it secure! (I am still -- Autumn, 1911 -- entirely dissatisfied).

The New Comment
I am less annoyed with myself than when I wrote the "Old Comment", but not wholly content. How is one to write a comment? For whom? One has more than the difficulties of the lexicographer. Each new Postulant presents new problems; the degrees and kinds of their ignorance are no less numerous than they. I am always finding myself, sailing along joyously for several months in the belief that my teaching is helping somebody, suddenly awakened to the fact that I have made no way whatever, owing to the object of my solicitude having omitted to learn that Julius Caesar conquered Gaul, or something of the sort, which I had assumed to be a matter of universal Knowledge.
Then in 1925, Crowley came to the conclusion that the "the work of the comment" did not mean commentary at all. It just meant what it said.

In Magick Without Tears letter 50, Crowley explains all. His reasons are worth reading carefully.
As to Part IV, The Book of the Law section, the idea was that the volume should comply with the instructions given in AL III,39: "All this and a book to say how thou didst come hither and a reproduction of this ink and paper for ever—for in it is the word secret & not only in the English—and thy comment upon this the Book of the Law shall be printed beautifully in red ink and black upon beautiful paper made by hand; and to each man and woman that thou meetest, were it but to dine or to drink at them, it is the Law to give. Then they shall chance to abide in this bliss or no; it is no odds. Do this quickly!" I mistook "Comment" for "Commentary"—a word-by-word exposition of every verse (and much of it I loathed with all my heart!) including the Qabalistic interpretation, a task obviously endless.

What then about AL III, 40? This problem was solved only by achieving the task. In Paris,* in a mood of blank despair about it all, out came the Comment. Easy, yes; inspired, yes; it is, as printed, the exact wording required. No further cavilling and quibbling, and controversy and casuistry. All heresiarchs are smelt in advance for the rats they are; they are seen brewing (their very vile small beer) in the air (the realm of Intellect—Swords) and they are accordingly nipped in the bud. All Parliamentary requirements thus fulfilled according to the famous formula of the Irish M.P., we can get on to your other questions untroubled by doubt.

One Textus Receptus, photographically guaranteed. One High Court of Interpretation, each for himself alone. No Patristic logomachies! No disputed readings! No civil wars and persecutions. Anyone who wants to say anything, off with his head, and On with the Dance; let Joy be unconfined, You at the prow and Therion at the helm! Off we go.

* Error: It was actually in Tunis, November 1925.
THE COMMENT.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
The study of this Book is forbidden. It is wise to destroy this copy after the first reading.

Whosoever disregards this does so at his own risk and peril. These are most dire.

Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.

All questions of the Law are to be decided only by appeal to my writings, each for himself.

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.

Love is the law, love under will.

The priest of the princes,

Ankh-f-n-khonsu

nicky

I'm here in the back with the dunce cap and reading...will brave commenting in a few years...

Nicky