A Thoth Beginner's Library?

teomat

Thanks for the suggestions outoftheashes and Le Fanu. I've just googled the Snuffin book, and will add it to my growing list.

As to the Arrien book, I would prefer ones which are based on what Crowley/Harris actually intended rather than what the author's own take on the images mean. It sounds as though (from what everyone has said) that Arrien's book follows this direction (which also sadly seems to be the case with virtually every book written about the RWS). I didn't know the same was (or is) happening with the Thoth too.

teomat

gregory said:
Teomat - are you ready to leave this thread and head for the bookstore ??? ;) You will be broke if you don't call a halt ! (I know this.....)

:D I know. The BoT and DuQuette is enough to keep me going at the moment, but PLEASE can someone recommend a good astrology book?? I'll then call it a day! :)

gregory

PM Scion. Best suggestion you will get all day ! :*

Lleminawc

Lillie said:
There is a wonderful book called, I think, The Truth about Tarot' by Gerald Suster.

It's partly made up with quotes from The Wake World and partly a rant about things that Mr Suster don't like, topped off with a game to play with your thoth deck.

Well cool.

Worth a read for anyone.
Second that. It's a slimmish volume but not a word is wasted - and how many Tarot books can you say that about?

Professor X

Make sure you study what the decans for what each pip card means. That will help you greatly to understand what the Thoth is trying to convey.

Always Wondering

teomat said:
:D I know. The BoT and DuQuette is enough to keep me going at the moment, but PLEASE can someone recommend a good astrology book?? I'll then call it a day! :)

This is Scion's current reccomendation.

http://www.bendykes.com/logos-light.php

I am so intriqued but am having pay pal problems. :(

Here is the discussion of the Decans in the Goldern Dawn Forum

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=123884

Also from the Golden Dawn Forum

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=96911

Book T and the astrological signs, I learned so much from this study. Thanks Similia, I mean Grigori. :laugh:

AW

gregory

Scion has also put together his own guide to the decans, which can be downloaded here somewhere..... It's excellent.

teomat

Thanks for the info everyone.

I've got Scion's PDF, but haven't really had the opportunity to go through it properly. I got it as I thought I might try studying the Liber T deck, but I since decided that starting with the Thoth would be the better choice for me.

I'll look into that astrology site, but paypal isn't really convenient for me either.

Off-topic - I feel bad that I bought the BoT and DuQuette book from Amazon instead of Watkins :(. I'll try to buy the rest of my books from 'Mysteries' to make up for it.

Gosh...I hope Mysteries is doing OK? I bought my first ever tarot deck from them (which coincidently happened to be the Thoth!) about 20-odd years ago. If they went too, I'd be so upset. :(

Le Fanu

teomat said:
For me, that's when the trouble starts... I've never really made much headways in astrology for Thoth. I kind of just get what Duquette touches on, that such-and-such a card is Mars in Leo (isn't it the 7 of Wands?), from basically reading the little symbols, but I don't really know where it takes me. I've tried memorising but don't really think that's the way to go. I'd hazard a guess and say that what Duquette says about astrology will be enough (please someone, tell me I'm right!) I'm not sure about Scion's pdf for the decans because I didn't think that the Thoth made explicit use of the decans in its system. Sure they're there, but it's the Liber T which basically took this and ran with it...

astrology is the bane of my life, so don't ask me! :D

teomat

Le Fanu said:
For me, that's when the trouble starts... I've never really made much headways in astrology for Thoth. I kind of just get what Duquette touches on, that such-and-such a card is Mars in Leo (isn't it the 7 of Wands?), from basically reading the little symbols, but I don't really know where it takes me. I've tried memorising but don't really think that's the way to go. I'd hazard a guess and say that what Duquette says about astrology will be enough (please someone, tell me I'm right!) I'm not sure about Scion's pdf for the decans because I didn't think that the Thoth made explicit use of the decans in its system. Sure they're there, but it's the Liber T which basically took this and ran with it...

astrology is the bane of my life, so don't ask me! :D
I entirely sympathise! I've never been into astrology before, and to be honest I still don't 'believe' in it (especially as I have an interest in astronomy and I just can't reconcile the two disciplines).

But...it does seem to be a very important component in the Thoth, especially in those equations DuQuette gives for figuring out the minors. I feel that I would be missing out on a big chunk of makes the Thoth tick if I didn't have that knowledge.

The decan stuff does seem to be a bit too advanced at the moment, and perhaps not immediately relevant to my study yet. The Liber T images aren't in the Thoth, so I guess they would just confuse me even more.

I don't know. Maybe I'm rushing it a bit?

I'm still getting my head around the images, so maybe I should just 'play' with the deck first and then get into the heavy stuff? But when I do, I'd like to have my heavyweight books to hand. :)