The Book of the Law Study Group 2.78

Aeon418

Atu XI Lust

Mitigate Energy with Love; but let Love devour
all things.
Worship the name of The Beast, foursquare, mystic,
wonderful, and the name of His House 418.
Verse 78 - MZLA. Mezla, the influence from Kether.
Crowley originally thought Aiwass was 78 too (Aleph, Yod, Vav, Aleph, Samekh), until he realised it was 93 = 418.

78 is also the number of cards of Tarot. I've seen suggestions that certain Tarot cards can be mapped to words within this verse, but I've never really looked into it. But it might be an interesting class project. ;)

Lift up thyself!
I don't think this needs any more comment. :laugh: :thumbsup:

for there is none like unto thee among men or among Gods!
This reminds me of Liber Tzaddi, verse 40
40. My adepts stand upright; their head above the heavens, their feet below the hells.
The Adept in Tiphareth bridges both worlds (Vav). The human and the divine in one being - The Beast 666.

They shall worship thy name, foursquare, mystic, wonderful, the number of the man; and the name of thy house 418.
I take "They" to mean those who are not Adepts. The Beast 666 is symbolic of Solar-deity (HGA). 418 is the Great Work. The pre-Adept aspires to these.

Aeon418

A few special numbers are present in this verse.

Chapter 2 verse 78. 2 x 78 = 156. Babalon and Zion (TzIUN) are both 156.

In the book as a whole the present verse is 144. In Greek η εκλογη (The Elect / Chosen) is 144. The Elect are the ones mentioned in Matthew 24. (There's a few Thelemic goodies in that chapter. ;))
One thing to look out for is how the Elect/Chosen change from Judaism to Christianity, and then change again in Thelema.

144 is a number that is mentioned in connection with the New Jerusalem (Zion) in the Book of Revelation.
Rev 21:15-17
The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length, and as wide and high as it is long. The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits thick.
12,000 x 12,000 = 144,000,000 sq. stadia

There should be just enough room for the 144,000 who are sealed in Revelation 7. :laugh:

Aeon418

Synchronicity time. Sitting here watching a movie called Pi. In the movie a Jewish Kabbalist shows the main character, Max Cohen, a bit of gematria. One of his examples was QDM = 144. I nearly choked on my beer! :laugh:

Aeon418

In the movie a group of Kabbalists are looking for a 216 digit number.

216 = 6 x 6 x 6.

:laugh:

Always Wondering

I love it when that happens.

Aeon418 said:
QDM = 144. I nearly choked on my beer! :laugh:
Okay, explain to me, possibly again, where does QDM come from?

Aeon418 said:
Verse 78 - MZLA. Mezla, the influence from Kether.

And where/how MZLA?

AW

Grigori

There are movies about kabbalists? Seriously? :D

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I love it when that happens.
When I choke on beer? :laugh:
Always Wondering said:
Okay, explain to me, possibly again, where does QDM come from?
In the movie that I was watching the Kabbalist character said it was Hebrew for Eden, but it's not really. It means "eastward" or "in the east". It's a word used in Genesis where Jehovah sets the flamming sword "in the east" of Eden after he gives Adam-Ruach and Eve-Nephesh the elbow.

So we have the number 144 in connection with both the Eden of Genesis and the New Jerusalem of Revelation. That's great because they are both symbolic of the same level of supernal consciousness. A level of consciousness that the Elect(144) have attained to. We might call that consciousness K&C.

"for there is none like unto thee among men or among Gods!

The Lust card is a depiction of that state of consciousness. There's Babalon, the Nephesh fully inspired by Neshamah, riding on the back of the enlightened Ruach - The Beast.

Or another way to look at the Lust card is as the Ark of the Covenant. The heads that face each other are the Kerubim on each side of the Mercy Seat on top of the Ark. And Babalon is the Shekinah, the divine pressence of the Almighty. It's another K&C symbol.
Always Wondering said:
And where/how MZLA?
Verse 78 - MZLA. Mem 40, Zain 7, Lamed 30, Aleph 1 = 78

Aeon418

Grigori said:
There are movies about kabbalists? Seriously? :D
It's not about Kabbalists. The main character in the movie is a number theorist who is trying to find a pattern in the stock market, but not to make money. He's obsessed with finding order in seemingly chaotic systems.

Along the way he is shadowed by a group from Wall Street who are very interested in his theories because if you can predict the stock market you can make a killing. There's also a group of Kabbalists after him who want to use his skills to find a 216 digit number in the Torah, so that they might bring about the Messianic age.

I've found the gematia clip on You Tube. (Yes, it's a black and white movie.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmWhwyA0NU

Aeon418

ELECT

e-lekt': That is, "chosen," "selected." In the Old Testament the word represents derivatives of bachar, elegit; in the New Testament eklektos. It means properly an object or objects of selection. This primary meaning sometimes passes into that of "eminent," "valuable," "choice"; often thus as a fact, in places where the King James Version uses "chosen" (or "elect") to translate the original (e.g. Isa 42:1; 1 Pet 2:6). In the King James Version "elect" (or "chosen") is used of Israel as the race selected for special favor and to be the special vehicle of Divine purposes (so 4 times in Apocrypha, Tobit and Ecclus); of the great Servant of Yahweh (compare Lk 23:35; the "Christ of God, his chosen"); compare eminent saints as Jacob, Moses, Rufus (Rom 16:13); "the lady," and her "sister" of 2 Jn; of the holy angels (1 Tim 5:21); with a possible suggestion of the lapse of other angels. Otherwise, and prevalently in the New Testament, it denotes a human community, also described as believers, saints, the Israel of God; regarded as in some sense selected by Him from among men, objects of His special favor, and correspondingly called to special holiness and service. See further under ELECTION. In the English versions "elect" is not used as a verb: "to choose" is preferred; e.g. Mk 13:20; Eph 1:4.
1) In the Old Testament the Hebrews are the Elect, the Chosen people. You were either born one, or you weren't. Simple as that.

2) In the New Testament it is the believers in Christ who are the Elect, the Chosen ones. And it's not quite as exclusive this time either. Even if you weren't a believer, you could always repent and convert. But even then you had to be specially chosen by God.

3) In Thelema it is those individuals who have at least attained K&C who are the Elect. But there is no divine favour involved. It is only through the Strength of their own efforts that they have attained.
(Note that the word "Chosen" appears five times in AL chapter I - Hermit, and five times more in chapter II - Lover. But not at all in chapter III - M of E. ;))

Trick question: Is Thelema elitist? })