The Book of the Law Study Group 3.1

Grigori

So I figured a good place to start, is with "who is Ra Hoor Khut". How come he can't spell his name the same way twice? Why is it "Ra Hoor Khut" here in Chapter 3 and not simply Horus, surely Horus should have his own chapter of the BoL, it is his Aeon after all!

Maybe more pertinent, if Ra-Hoor-Khut is the active aspect of Heru-ra-ha, a double god, how come his other passive half Hoor-par-kraat doesn't get a look in? Maybe that is why Crowley had to put a corrected version of the Stele of Revealing into his tarot deck :D And while we're talking about double gods, how come a double god's half is himself a double god (part Ra and part Horus). Does that make Horus 1/4 of Heru-ra-ha? :laugh:

You can see where I'm going with this right? Into lots of irritating questions :laugh:

Grigori

Maybe a picture would be a good idea also.
http://www.luminist.org/images/RaHoorKhuit.jpg

I don't think Ra-Hoor-Khuit gets his own card in the Thoth deck. Nuit on the Star, Hadit on the Hermit, but Ra-Hoor-Khuit only appears on the Aeon, shared with Nuit, Hadit and Hoor-par-kraat. Strange!

Always Wondering

Grigori said:
You can see where I'm going with this right? Into lots of irritating questions :laugh:

Oh good, it won't me just me with the irritating questions. And your questions are much more orginized and distinct than mine. Mostly I just have a generalized, what the heck? :laugh:

AW

Always Wondering

From Crowley's New Comment
I must here say that I find myself in the greatest difficulty, again and again, in the comprehension of this chapter. It might be said roughly that at the end of the first five years of Silence (An 0-IV) I understood Chapter I; at the end of the second five years (an X-XIV) I understood Chapter II, ---

So we are in good company, Grigori. :laugh:

And what is a magical ego?

AW

Aeon418

Grigori said:
I don't think Ra-Hoor-Khuit gets his own card in the Thoth deck.
Oh yes he does! Atu XVI The Tower [Or: War].
WAR transliterated into Hebrew is VAR, which is an anagram of AVR, Light!

Most people pick up on the destructive, violent, Martial aspect in this chapter. And well they should too! But isn't Ra-Hoor-Khuit meant to be a Solar god? Yes, but when there are obstructions, blockages, and misalignments with the Will, then R.H.K's beneficient Solar AVR is perceived as destructive Martial VAR. But whose fault is that? ;)
(See DuQuette's, The Magick of Aleister Crowley, chp.5. Read the discussion of Liber V vel Reguli. Pay particular attention to DuQuette's comments about the orientation of the magician and how that orientation effects the pentagrams and the direction of circumabulation. Once you've got this simple concept cracked, R.H.K. transforms from Mr Nasty }) into Mr Nice :D.)
Grigori said:
So I figured a good place to start, is with "who is Ra Hoor Khut". How come he can't spell his name the same way twice?
Because the different spellings indicate different aspects of the god.

HRV RA HA = 418
RA HVVR = 418

RA HVVR KV = 444 (4 x 111)
(BITh AL - House of God = 443. Add Aleph to live in the House, 444.)

RA HVVR KVT = 453
(NPhSH ChIH. Nephesh-Chiah, Life, living creature. The Animal Soul in it's fullness.
Also BHMVTh, Behemoth. The land monster of Hebrew myth.)

RA HVVR KVIT = 463
(The Middle Pillar - Gimel + Samekh + Tav.)
Grigori said:
Why is it "Ra Hoor Khut" here in Chapter 3 and not simply Horus, surely Horus should have his own chapter of the BoL, it is his Aeon after all!
See above. But also I think it's directing our attention to a specific manifestion of Horus. Today modern Egyptology calls that manifestation, Ra-Harakhte.
Harakhte, whose name meant 'Horus of the Horizon', and who was also called 'Horus of the Two Horizons', was the form which Horus took when his early characteristics as a god of light were emphasised. He was identified with Ra as he made his daily journey from the eastern to the western horizon, and especially with his Khepri and Atum aspects. The roles of the two gods became inextricably mixed, and under their combined authority Ra-Harakhte held sway over all Egypt. He was represented as a falcon or a falcon-headed man wearing the solar disk and triple crown or the uraeus and atef crown.

Egyptian Mythology by Veronica Ions, p.69
Grigori said:
Maybe more pertinent, if Ra-Hoor-Khut is the active aspect of Heru-ra-ha, a double god, how come his other passive half Hoor-par-kraat doesn't get a look in?
If there's any talking to be done than the active, manifesting aspect takes charge. Hoor-par-kraat says :shhh:
Contemplating the difference between the Fool and the Magus might help.
Grigori said:
And while we're talking about double gods, how come a double god's half is himself a double god (part Ra and part Horus). Does that make Horus 1/4 of Heru-ra-ha?
Ra-Hoor is a composite. One, not two.

Aeon418

If it were possible for you to actually perform Liber V vel Reguli while standing on your head, then (from your upside-down point of view) the zodiac would run counterclockwise, and the pentagrams would be upright.

The Magick of Aleister Crowley, p.93
In Liber V vel Reguli the magician sets up an annihilatory current with a widdershins circumabulation. Then he/she draws averse pentagrams in the four quarters. These pentagrams were used to illustrate the 5's in the Thoth Tarot. (5 - Geburah, Mars.) As Crowley tells us in the Book of Thoth, the 5 cards are not evil, they merely represent motion coming to the aid of matter. A rigid, fixed, and static situation is broken up causing "storm and stress".

But the orientation of this ritual is flipped because Leo and Aquarius are on the wrong sides. This means that the pentagrams are really upright and the circumabulation was actually deosil. If you are in line with the Will, and hence the Universe, then you are also in line with the flipped orientation of Reguli (up-side down). This makes Reguli an energizing deosil-Solar invocation. (Solar R.H.K. Mr Nice. :D)

If you are not in line with the Will, and hence the Universe, then you are subject to the annihilatory current and the averse pentagrams. (Martial R.H.K. Mr Nasty. }))

In each case the same current is being invoked, but the magicians orientation to that current determines whether it is experienced as Solar or Martial. This is why some people think Reguli is awesome, and other people have really bad experiences with it. Then they blame the ritual and claim it's a trap set by Crowley. When in actual fact the ritual was telling them something about themselves. Such is human nature. :rolleyes:

RLG

At War

Dwtw

In the Holograph MS, the first five lines of chapter three begin with the letters: AT WAR

Abraahadabra
There
word
aught
Ra-Hoor-Khuit

Note also that the first word of the chapter is misspelled, and has an extra 'a' in it. No wonder "spelling is defunct"!

Including the extra letter 'a', these five words sum to 394 by the Trigrammaton Gematria, with these equivalents:

I invoke, I greet Thy presence, O Ra-Hoor-Khuit! = 394
Let the woman be girt with a sword before me: = 394

In base 3, the decimal number 394 is written 112121; this is the 37th hexagram of the I Ching, known as the Family or the Household.

"THE IMAGE
Wind comes forth from fire: The image of THE FAMILY. Thus the superior man has substance in his words and duration in his way of life. Heat creates energy: this is signified by the wind stirred up by the fire and issuing forth form it. This represents influence working from within outward. In order to be capable of producing such an influence, one's words must have power, and this they can have only if they are based on something real, just as flame depends on its fuel. Words have influence only when they are pertinent and clearly related to definite circumstances. General discourses and admonitions have no effect whatsoever. Furthermore, the words must be supported by one's entire conduct... if words and conduct are not in accord and consistent, they will have no effect. "

In the text of Liber CCXX, the extra letter in Abrahadabra does not appear, (nor does the exclamation point after this word!), so the total of the 'AT WAR' words is only 389 in that text:

389 = Hoor in his secret name and splendour

Litlluw
RLG

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
... If you are in line with the Will, and hence the Universe, then you are also in line with the flipped orientation of Reguli (up-side down). This makes Reguli an energizing deosil-Solar invocation. (Solar R.H.K. Mr Nice. :D)

And this this is the reward ... the 'word' ?