The Book of The Law Study Group 3.5

ravenest

Yes, I have spent a LOT of time dealing with that, and now the fortifications have been severly tested!

I am very fortunate that I had considered to fortify my island with (as well as other things) love ... no, not love, but Love.

It is, after all .... the Law.

Aeon418

Fortify means to enrich, to make stronger. My initial thought's were a connection to the Emperor. But to me he seems like someone who has been fortified, but is not the fortifying agent itself. (Note that the light shines on the Emperor.)

Fortify can mean building up defences, but it can also be interpreted in the sense of feeding to build up strength. I might eat a hearty breakfast to fortify myself for the day ahead.

Subjective ramble here. Feed at your leisure, ignore at your pleasure. :)

Fortify - 40-fy? A possible connection with the number 40?

40 - ChLB, Chalav - Milk. This makes me think of a suckling baby being fortified and strengthed by it's mothers milk.
Liber LXV 5:65
So also is the end of the book, and the Lord Adonai is about it on all sides like a Thunderbolt, and a Pylon, and a Snake, and a Phallus, and in the midst thereof he is like the Woman that jetteth out the milk of the stars from her paps; yea, the milk of the stars from her paps.
I think this verse corresponds to the letter Heh - The Star. The ritual of the Star is the pentagram. When we begin that ritual we fortify ourselves with the Qabalistic Cross. We reach up to our Star and draw down the Light into us. In a way this could be seen as suckling on the Milk of the Goddess of the Stars. I know that might sound a bit comical, but I am being serious. (Personally I think it's quite beautiful.) Fortified with her Milk/Light we proceed to dung our island about with enginery of WAR/AWR-Light (Pentagrams).

40 is also the value of the letter Mem. The letter itself is spelt Mem-Yod-Mem. The esoteric meaning of the letter suggests an Ark (as in Noah). The male seed (Yod) is protected on either side by the female element of Water/Mem. This brings to mind a womb.

The value of Mem spelt in full is 90. That's the value of Tzaddi - The Emperor. If the seed is planted in good soil. Protected and nourished. It may flower one day into a King/Adept.

ravenest

Grigori said:
A fortified island brings to mind the image of the 4 of Disks. http://jaseoncards.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/thoth-discs-04.jpg

YES! The elemental towers, the wall that encloses, but CAN open (gate) when appropriate, the moat and drawbridge, to me all represent this and we can, through analysis, utalise these teachings - in our daily lives and at times of crisis. I see these fortifications (in the current mode that I am interpreting Ch 3 in) as these tools and practices we are developing in Magick.