Tarot Certification Board of America - a critical appraisal

Gavriela

I know there was an issue about non-business-licenced tarot readers in a city in Pennsylvania recently, but I haven't seen anything about the need to be certified by anyone to read tarot professionally.

RaeBelle

The Pennsylvania city was Philadelphia. And it was actually shutting down the psychics, tarot readers, etc based about a fortune telling for profit law. So certification wouldn't help you there!

le pendu

RaeBelle said:
The Pennsylvania city was Philadelphia. And it was actually shutting down the psychics, tarot readers, etc based about a fortune telling for profit law. So certification wouldn't help you there!

[be afraid]So certification could be used against you as evidence!!![/be afraid]

;)

seakla

Great information and discussion. I spent the last year studying and practicing Tarot cards based on a curriculum I devised myself (goals I wanted to accomplish with the final goal being to not read straight from a book but rather interpret the cards on my own). Of course, this was not daily studies would go a month or several weeks in between studying.

One of my goals was to become certified in Tarot Reading but there doesn't seem to be an "official" board or school for it and I couldn't find any reviews on the ones I did see....BTW, American Board for Taror Certification is no longer up apparently, at least their link doesn't work.

I also was leery of spending so much money and thought "I don't want to do all that" and I didn't want ot review other decks. I figured just for myself I would get a lower level such as Certified Tarot Professioanl (or whatever it was) and leave it at that.

However, I also don't plan on opening up a business in this and if I did a business license is all that is required, not a Tarot license. I do read for friends on occassion but not for payment.

I do have a question though: does anyone have any advice for how to establish oneself as a Tarot Reader or master? Let me explain...in this certificate/diploma driven society what can one do to establish themselves as a Tarot Reader? If I wanted to do readings at Pagan Pride Days or Fairs or other community events is it enough to just say "I have been reading Tarot for ten years" or whatever. Also, in writing a book on Tarot (which is something I am outlining) would a reader feel that the book lends more credibility if the bio says "is a Certified Tarot Reader" then if it says "has been reading Tarot for 5 years."

I would love to have something that shows I know what I am talking about with reading cards, something to show people that I worked hard at studying the cards.

Just FYI: my own requirements were to learn a few basic spreads without looking in a book; try some new spreads I wasn't familiar with; do fifty readings for others (based on massage therapists who do 50 free massages in their training); learn the basic meanings behind each card and write my own feelings/interpretations on the cards; be able to perform readings without reading from the book/interpret the cards on my own (basically giving myself the confidence to do so) and develop a style or routine for reading (light incense, altar cloth, place gemstones out, etc).

So, how can I establish this with others that I did indeed study the cards and their meanings (I used several different sources as well) and show others that I am capable, confident and competent?

gregory

seakla said:
So, how can I establish this with others that I did indeed study the cards and their meanings (I used several different sources as well) and show others that I am capable, confident and competent?
By reading for people. They will be able to see that you know your stuff. (I have had readings from people who tell me they are certified. They were no different - and in many cases less good - than those I've had from uncertified people.)

Build your own reputation.

BlueRosary

I would buy a book or reading from somebody who "has been reading for x years." I'm not saying I would dismiss a certified persons qualifications outright or anything. I just wouldn't feel it gives me any more of a guarantee of a good reading or better information from a book.

I hope you write your book. If it’s good, I'll buy it! :D

Debra

seakla, I think the tasks and standards you set for yourself are brilliant--really, good for you. Shows your recogition of the complexities of reading, and your integrity that you're determined to do well. :)

Susan Del Conte

Other concerns regarding the American Tarot Cerification Board

Hello,

As many of you have stated there are many factors pro and con for seeking certification as a Tarot professional. I recently decided to apply for certification and experienced the following problems.

I will start by saying that when I expressed my concerns I was offered a full refund which I accepted.

I had a few concerns about how the ATCB functioned during this process but my main concern was the fact that when I questioned the length of time that I was told it would take to get a response to my first step I was informed that there is only one volunteer at this time that is handling all of the certifications. In other words, although this organization holds itself out as a "Board" they are currently relying on one unpaid person to determine which of us should receive our certification. It is true that the website says that the evalutators and I stress the plural are volunteers. However, if the "Board" is currently in the position of having only one volunteer shouldn't the members of the "Board" step in to assist with the certifications?

After this experience I have re-evaluated my decision to seek certification and have decided that it is not necessary or even possible for another person to determine our level of competency.

My advise is to thoroughly research who will be certifying your skills if you should decide that you want to be certified.

Susan

Apollonia

seakla said:
I do have a question though: does anyone have any advice for how to establish oneself as a Tarot Reader or master? Let me explain...in this certificate/diploma driven society what can one do to establish themselves as a Tarot Reader? If I wanted to do readings at Pagan Pride Days or Fairs or other community events is it enough to just say "I have been reading Tarot for ten years" or whatever. Also, in writing a book on Tarot (which is something I am outlining) would a reader feel that the book lends more credibility if the bio says "is a Certified Tarot Reader" then if it says "has been reading Tarot for 5 years."
For events, fairs, shops etc. usually the proprietor/organizer will want you to give them a sample reading to make sure you can actually deliver the goods. After you have a venue, simply reading well consistently for others will garner you referrals and more business as time goes on. In the eight years I've been reading professionally, no one (and I mean literally not one single person) has ever asked me about certification, although many have asked how long I've been reading.

This is my opinion only, but as to a book, I wouldn't tend to take seriously a Tarot author who took certification seriously, because it's meaningless unless you know who is doing the certifying, their methods of testing, and their criteria for the different levels.

Sulis

Moderator note

Hi Folks,

Can I just point out that the topic of this thread is 'Tarot Certification Board of America - a critical appraisal' and ask you to stick to this topic?

Discussion about becoming a Tarot Master or about specific tarot career advice needs to take place in the Professional Tarot Forum which is in the Subscriber section of the forum.

Thanks,

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator