De-Enabling Thread

nisaba

Chronata said:
I had the Hadar, because everyone told me it was THE Marseilles deck to get.

But I didn't like their eyes.They were kind of dead, and staring.
Which is just the smallest of its faults.

Everyone knows The Dead Don't Stare. They don't, actually, pay very much attention at all.

tarotmama

Robert Place Vampire Tarot? Anyone? The only thing I fear at this point is the cardstock...

And... the pocket Illuminated (because I can't seriously hope to afford a medium sized one anytime soon...)...

Someone help me! I have people on my Christmas list who won't be impressed with yet another scarf and batch of cookies this year...

conversus

It is NOT too early to do your Christmas <or other relevant Holiday> Shopping. You should do that now. There are people who love you, and need to know in some way that you love them! Then when that is all safely done, you can relax and NOT buy a Tarot Deck for yourself!

The New Year will soon be upon us with a whole year-full of expenses.

CED

Debra

tarotmama said:
Robert Place Vampire Tarot? Anyone? The only thing I fear at this point is the cardstock...

I looked at a friend's copy this weekend. This deck is just plain stupid. I assume that everyone can recognize that 78 vampire cards is pure gimmick. I can't see how you'd read with it, or why anyone would want to. Card stock is thick and slick--not "shuffle-able" stock. It's not so much a tarot deck as 78 excuses for a competent artist to do what he loves doing, which is making art. One really nice vampire postcard would fulfill your yearning for a lot less money. Even better, from a "don't waste your money" point of view, is to make one card a screen-saver and see how long you really like looking at it. Let us know how that goes.

tarotmama said:
And... the pocket Illuminated (because I can't seriously hope to afford a medium sized one anytime soon...)

I have one of these. The colors are really odd, with lots of not-quite-right yellows and pinks, and a very ugly typeface with stuff you don't want to know that mars the feel. Also, it's tiny! If you really want one after, say, six months, just wait for the Money Fairy and get one large enough to actually see the images.

sapienza

Debra said:
Even better, from a "don't waste your money" point of view, is to make one card a screen-saver and see how long you really like looking at it. Let us know how that goes.

Love this idea as a general de-enabler. Maybe I should try it with the Hadar because I've not given up on that yet :)

Debra

Ok, well, I'll jump in on the Hadar as long as I'm here. I couldn't wait to get it. Everyone said it was the end-all be-all of Marseille. And there's a lot nice about it, but I see from your profile that the Marseille decks you have are...better.

Here's why. Marseille decks are supposed to be funky. The colors are just a bit odd; the lines are fractured; the faces scrinchy and strange. I have a few old Marseille woodblock cards, and I've seen whole decks from way back, and the truth is, Hadar's version is simply too clean. It's like what happens to a warm, loving home after an interior decorator takes out all the comfy blankets and chipped coffee cups and installs a bunch of New and Shiny stuff. The personality is lost and maybe even the soul. :bugeyed:

Frankly, of the Marseille decks I see on your profile, Sap (you don't mind if I call you Sap, do you?) the one I like best is the cheapest one you've got, and it's the one I like best of my own as well--the Thunder Bay version of the Conver. Remember that these decks were designed for ham-fisted guys in bars to play cards with. Hadar is Martha Stewart, la-di-dah.

sapienza

OK, so this is helping......a little :)

Dusk Till Dawn

gregory said:
You like toilet humour ?

And she can be cute - that's fine - but she is clearly about to be strangled and probably raped give the street scene. You can be utterly beautiful and still get raped. And I REALLY don't like that in a card.... :(

I will try and do better later but I'm HUNGRY. I will also scan the Spill Sun card in at some point (I thought I could find it on line - but no...)

ETA OK - tell me you want this card to come up in a reading :bugeyed: (I have seen it in a 6 foot high version :eek:)
OMG, that hair all around the card...It's not so much the hooks, it's the Hair!LOL
I guess that absolutely did it for me! Thank you. I guess that's why that card isn't showing up anywhere. Thats a hairy Deck.

thorhammer

Totally, Seeker - I hated the hair, too! It was like Cousin It was somewhere next to me, gazing into the card over my shoulder *shudder*

Also the way the guy didn't look at all "illuminated" or happy or anything. I mean, sure, I wouldn't either given his situation, but that sort of gives away the limited application of the image's concept to illustrate the concept of the Sun card, dunnit? ;)

\m/ Kat

nisaba

Debra said:
Ok, well, I'll jump in on the Hadar as long as I'm here. I couldn't wait to get it. Everyone said it was the end-all be-all of Marseille. And there's a lot nice about it, but I see from your profile that the Marseille decks you have are...better.
I pricked my ears at this, and was absolutely astonished at how you continued on afterwards. Debra, I never knew you were so talented - this is up there with your best to date.

No fear, I'm *never* going to buy this deck now, even though it wasn't one I was seeking de-enablement from. The ham-fisted guys in bars simply finished me off. <places Gilt Crown of De-Enablement reverently on Debra's head>