The Antique Lenormand

greatdane

love all the cards, Bee!

The Snake I found particularly interesting, the mask on the ground seems so perfect symbolically! :)

Tag_jorrit

It's true that I prefer to not 'read the artwork', but I personally find that the artwork of scenic decks gives them an atmosphere, and as not all artwork is to my taste, I'm having a go myself with this deck.

Coffin Card:
In my experience a coffin being carried to a graveside is a very sobering moment of finality, whereas a coffin that lies in wait for the final rites and burial hasn't yet finished with the things of this world. For me, this doesn't have quite the same import. Be glad that you haven't experienced it.

Bee

True, I'm not dead yet.

Bernice

greatdane :
The Snake I found particularly interesting, the mask on the ground seems so perfect symbolically! :)
I was hoping someone would notice it, thank you :). I originally had a much smaller snake coiled up in greenery, with the mask swinging from it's tail. But it just wouldn't sit right, and as the snake can sometimes represent a woman, it was probably the mask that should be in hiding (So a Bad snake can whip it out and use it for nefarious reasons). I made it big because I like to easily spot any potential negativity.

Tag_jorrit:

Originally Posted by Bernice
It's true that I prefer to not 'read the artwork', but I personally find that the artwork of scenic decks gives them an atmosphere, and as not all artwork is to my taste, I'm having a go myself with this deck.

Coffin Card:
In my experience a coffin being carried to a graveside is a very sobering moment of finality, whereas a coffin that lies in wait for the final rites and burial hasn't yet finished with the things of this world. For me, this doesn't have quite the same import. Be glad that you haven't experienced it.

Bee
True, I'm not dead yet.

You misunderstand Tag, a dead person would be in the coffin, not walking with it. Sorry you don't like the card. Perhaps you could create your own deck with images that speak to you?

Bee.

greatdane

I think the snake and mask are perfect, Bee!

I noticed the mask right away because it so made sense. Brava to you for combining the two! I know your Lenormand will be a big hit.

Bernice

Book (26)

Here's the Book. A book that contains everything from alpha to amega. It's the only card in this deck that has it's playing card included.

A seemingly sparse or 'empty' card, but it's meanings cover all manner of things from their beginnings to their ends.

The Alpha/Omega book itself is unpretentious as is the habit of those who seriously engage in arcane matters, whether esoteric, the professions, or mundane/personal affairs.

Magical workings are openly represented by the temple flooring, and the pip number of the card that rests on it, as 10 knocks will close down the circle, i.e. bring back to earth. (Handy that the playing card is a 10 :)). As the compass directions are inherent in a temple or any circle, the Book also encompasses information of all locations.

The cards that fall from the book indicate that knowledge of all things can be found in a deck of playing cards, a reminder of Mm. Lenormand, and they also represent the divinatory arts.

The blank cards arn't blank, early decks had plain white backs. Their import (faces) may or may not be revealed depending on accompanying cards in a spread. The only face card is the 10 Diamonds which in some cartomancy systems means a surprise - another of the meanings for this card.

Bee.

Attachments

• Book.jpg
    Book.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 116

Moonbow

Very clever Bee! A book of arcane knowledge, and the chequered floor is a brilliant idea. :)

tarot heart

Yes, I agree, very clever card. One thought though, could the garish white cards be "antiqued" just a little?

Still lovin' these Bee!! :)

Bernice

Book 2 (grubby cards)

Hi Tarot heart,

I think card decks get splodges and marks over years of handling, and I know some people prefer them to look like that, as if they've been around for centuries. But I suspect that a deck used for divination around the end of the 1st Empire (not sure about this, could be 50 years or so off the mark) might kept quite clean at that time.

But I've had a go and made the card backs more grubby. In the first image the backs weren't white, they were mildy grubby but perhaps that wasn't very noticable? I've left the 10 Diamonds alone as it was already shaded. (my attempts to dirty the shading looked awful anyway....:)).

Bee

Attachments

• Book-grubby cards.jpg
    Book-grubby cards.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 104

periwinkling

Here's the Mountain.

Bee x

I LOVE that goat! So cool. So unexpected, adds just the right amount of... Don't even know what to call it. It's almost absurd, in the surrealist tradition, brilliant!
Lovey progress so far! I like that the images are not too busy, and the mix of antique images and computer generated.

flying black kat

I like the snake as well. To me it looks like it is smiling, as if it sees someone coming who's head is in the clouds, and hasn't got a clue as to the danger that waits in plain site.

I really like your cards, and hope you publish them. This is a very classie deck full of subtiles, and imagination.

Beautiful

Kathy