Recommend me a book

Nemia

Louis, Wen, Greer, Pollack - excellent advice. If you build up a tarot library, they are your cornerstones. (I didn't read Huggens but heard her book often recommended).

I have always like Greer's Tarot for yourself and Nina Lee Bradens Tarot for Self Discovery. Greer lets you discover the world of tarot, the world within you, and how the two are intertwined. I use some of her techniques and creative ideas still.

And Braden (whose book I don't have but I was a member of her mailing list ages ago and did many of her exercises) taught me to use the cards not only to pull them for divination, but to pick them to explore yourself.

Both empower you to treat the cards in an individual and intuitive way - without forgetting the strong foundations on which the tarot is built. I always feel I need both.

Cocobird55

i'll second Tarot 101. Lots of info, and an enjoyable read.

decan

There is as well another good book: Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer.
I have had this reference on the forum; in this book you have both the meanings in relation to the card upright and reversal, so it's complete!!

There are several approachs in her book, the focus isn't only on one approach, for example when a book on Tarot is written only with a psychological perspective, generally I don't follow because I am not a great fan of psychology, nevertheless it can be an interesting approach at times, I admit it!

Barleywine

There is as well another good book: Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer.
I have had this reference on the forum; in this book you have both the meanings in relation to the card upright and reversal, so it's complete!!

There are several approachs in her book, the focus isn't only on one approach, for example when a book on Tarot is written only with a psychological perspective, generally I don't follow because I am not a great fan of psychology, nevertheless it can be an interesting approach at times, I admit it!

Having been on the scene since pretty much the beginning of the New Age "bubble" (for lack of a better term to describe its relentless omnipresence), I've seen Jungian psychology creep into just about everything associated with the "subtle arts" we practice. I agree that it has its place, but I'm more interested in the situational awareness potential of applying those arts than in why someone thinks or feels the way they do. It just seems more practical. The Tarot Book by Jana Riley is one that I've tried unsuccessfully to penetrate a few times, but I just get irritated by the "psychobabble" that passes for useful content.

Marua

Got my book...

...and was very disappointed. Too much about history and the multitude of different decks, and not enough about how to read and interpret them. Will be retuning it tomorrow.

Barleywine

...and was very disappointed. Too much about history and the multitude of different decks, and not enough about how to read and interpret them. Will be retuning it tomorrow.

I have the first editon of that book, bought way back in 1978. It wasn't what I was after either, so I never bought any more of the volumes. It only gets opened if I'm researching something. Too bad I didn't notice your intent to buy it before you got that fsr.

Marua

I have the first editon of that book, bought way back in 1978. It wasn't what I was after either, so I never bought any more of the volumes. It only gets opened if I'm researching something. Too bad I didn't notice your intent to buy it before you got that fsr.

Yeah, I bought it quite fast. Need to do more research first :eek:D

blackroseivy

My recommendation would always be for The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination by Robert Place. For history and for interpretation he just can't be beat! I highly recommend this to anyone interested in Tarot!

Richard

Having been on the scene since pretty much the beginning of the New Age "bubble" (for lack of a better term to describe its relentless omnipresence), I've seen Jungian psychology creep into just about everything associated with the "subtle arts" we practice.......

If one is interested in Jungian psychology, take a (very) deep breath and read Jung. The real Jung and the New Age "Jung" have only superficial similarities. The same goes for Quantum Physics and its New Age ape.