Blue Box Rider Waite RWS

photokat

Is there thread someplace with all the different Blue Box editions?

I have noticed that the Waddington's one with the blushing fool was printed by Flarepath Printers Ltd (dated 1972) in St Albans, Herts (UK) , and the "Muller & Cie" Version by Drydens Printers, London.

At least according to the LWB.

Le Fanu

I have just received from Essjay a copy of the elusive RWS "blue box" in "tuckbox" format.

Quite a curio. No copyright on the cards. What is interesting is that it has on the top lid "First edition 1910. Reprinted many times to 1939. Second edition 1971"

Also on the box, it has "Reissued with the collaboration of Miss Sybil Waite and the most careful comparions of the first edition."

I don't remember seeing this on my "two part" blue boxes, but I don't have them at hand. Maybe others could check...

PixiJones

I'll check mine...

Does your tuckbox deck have a blushing fool? I've been wondering if these were the first boxes issued that were replaced possibly because they did not hold up as well.

Le Fanu

I'll check mine...

Does your tuckbox deck have a blushing fool? I've been wondering if these were the first boxes issued that were replaced possibly because they did not hold up as well.
Will check. Why? What's the significance of the blushing Fool? Did it change at some point? And is he noticably blushing or is it very slight.

I daresay there's a thread somewhere...

Essjay

I wonder why they did change the box - it seems these tuck boxes came and went - very odd.

As soon as I saw the box I thought of this thread!

gregory

I wanted a tuck box one.... Leffy, if you ever....

PixiJones

Will check. Why? What's the significance of the blushing Fool? Did it change at some point? And is he noticably blushing or is it very slight.

I daresay there's a thread somewhere...

Ok - I believe he has a speckled face as opposed to a creamy one and that the blushing fools were the earliest versions of the Rider & Co. reprint in '71...I'm wondering if the tuckbox versions contain the blushing fools because that might make the decks akin to 1st editions. I think they are at least earlier printings because of the lack of copyright on the cards.

gregory

The Blushing Fool signifies an early Rider edition, and The High Priestess is blushing a bit as well. I have heard it said that they are rare in the lift top blue boxes. I honestly can't recall whether mine has one or not...

Le Fanu

Doesn't look blushing to me, though it is hard to see in the scan as it looks slightly different in the flesh. It is slightly speckly but there is no blush on the cheek.

ETA; I should add that the box is a very tight fit and I shall have to try to not take in & out of the box too many times as the top flap is already quite deteriorated. Still there but with time could eventually come loose. And what's the value of a tuck box without the tucky bit?? I wonder if the fact that it was a tight fit and difficult to get the deck in and out was what prompted the manufacturers to introduce a 2-part box?

Also; my other blue boxes (with copyright) come with a card which had a list of available tarot decks at the time (Tarot of the Witches, 1JJ Swiss, Crowley Thoth). This deck, however, comes with two blank cards and no "decks available from your nearest bookshop" list. My only other "no copyright" RWS had no spare cards and only the lid of the box, but I cannot be sure that it ever came with extra cards (it must have done but they were lost/destroyed).

Just geeky stuff. Ignore me.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,419

PixiJones

Doesn't look blushing to me, though it is hard to see in the scan as it looks slightly different in the flesh. It is slightly speckly but there is no blush on the cheek.

ETA; I should add that the box is a very tight fit and I shall have to try to not take in & out of the box too many times as the top flap is already quite deteriorated. Still there but with time could eventually come loose. And what's the value of a tuck box without the tucky bit?? I wonder if the fact that it was a tight fit and difficult to get the deck in and out was what prompted the manufacturers to introduce a 2-part box?

Also; my other blue boxes (with copyright) come with a card which had a list of available tarot decks at the time (Tarot of the Witches, 1JJ Swiss, Crowley Thoth). This deck, however, comes with two blank cards and no "decks available from your nearest bookshop" list. My only other "no copyright" RWS had no spare cards and only the lid of the box, but I cannot be sure that it ever came with extra cards (it must have done but they were lost/destroyed).

Just geeky stuff. Ignore me.

Nice. It is an early reprint! And I've noticed the same about the extra cards (nerd alert). Later printings do come with the advertising card instead of two blanks. I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that the tuckbox came first.

I'm quite excited, too, because I have a blue tuckbox Rider on the way including the instruction booklet. I'm eager to have a look at that as well and see if I can learn more.

Ahhh, I love a vintage Rider...