Effect of a Solar Ecplise on a Solar Return

autumn star

Hi,

I have a Solar Ecplise on my birthday next year (Jan. 4). Does anyone know what kind of effect a solar eclipse has on a solar return chart and what it could imply for the following year.

Any help would be appreciated :)

dadsnook2000

Some comments

A Solar Return chart can be looked at as a solar-solar eclipse. A real solar eclipse is, of course, an event in which the Moon blocks out the Sun in terms of where the viewer stands on Earth. In your case, you will have a special event in which Sun-Sun-Moon are all aligned. This is a powerful situation. The only additional factor that could make it more potent would be if this occurred at an angle in the Solar Return chart or the natal chart.

Looking at the Sun-Moon alignment upon your natal Sun, it would be prudent to look at where the Sun and Moon resides in your natal chart, how they aspect other planets, how they relate to each other, and which transiting planets on your S/R day aspect the Sun-Solar Eclipse point and natal Moon.

As a very general statement, you might expect that Moon symbolism (feeling, intuition, habits, family history) will become more pronounced and might change the Sun symbolism (will, intent, attitude, channeling of energies). A shift in your plans, a change in your character and how you lead or appear to others, etc. might be perceived in the coming year. Dave

Minderwiz

Traditionally an eclipse only took special importance if it was visible from your location, and for nativities, occurring within 1 degree of the natal Sun (solar eclipse) or from an angle. Otherwise it was treated as an ordinary lunation. Many modern Astrologers will treat any eclipse as being of special importance, whether it is visible or not.

The eclipse of January 2011 is not visible in New Zealand, so on the visibility criterion, it would be 'downgraded to an 'ordinary' New Moon. That still gives it some importance as it will almost certainly occur within one degree of your natal Sun.

The eclipse occurs in Capricorn, with Saturn in Libra in applying square and Mars in Capricorn in an applying conjunction. Both planets have essential dignity in Capricorn and are possible contenders as rulers of the eclipse. The other contender would be the ruler of the angle to which the Sun applies. In my case in the UK, that would also be the Saturn/Mars pair which are joint almutens of the Ascendant (the eclipse occurs at dawn).

Have a look at three charts, the eclipse chart set for your location, your solar return chart (either 'normal' or precessed) and your natal chart. Have a look at where the eclipse lies in your natal and SR charts. Four planets are already identified as having important roles. Saturn is your natal Sun ruler as well and therefore rules your SR Sun as well. Look at what planet rules the angle that the Sun will move to next in your eclipse chart and consider what it signifies in your natal chart - if it rules an angle in your natal chart then it too will be significant.

New Moon's represent a new beginning, so consider how a 'reborn' Saturn would function in your chart as well as a reborn Moon.

Dave's points should also be considered, and I'm not claiming that my points are anything but additional to his.

autumn star

Thankyou Dadsnook200 & Minderwiz :)

That gives me lots to think about and a different way of looking at the eclipse/new moon in relation to my solar return.

Minderwiz said:
Traditionally an eclipse only took special importance if it was visible from your location, and for nativities, occurring within 1 degree of the natal Sun (solar eclipse) or from an angle. Otherwise it was treated as an ordinary lunation. Many modern Astrologers will treat any eclipse as being of special importance, whether it is visible or not.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Minderwiz said:
The eclipse occurs in Capricorn, with Saturn in Libra in applying square and Mars in Capricorn in an applying conjunction. Both planets have essential dignity in Capricorn and are possible contenders as rulers of the eclipse. The other contender would be the ruler of the angle to which the Sun applies. In my case in the UK, that would also be the Saturn/Mars pair which are joint almutens of the Ascendant (the eclipse occurs at dawn).

This will be interesting because my natal planets in mars and capricorn square anyway, so I imagine that it will apply added pressures to that friction. I could be in for an interesting year in 2011.

Minderwiz said:
Have a look at three charts, the eclipse chart set for your location, your solar return chart (either 'normal' or precessed) and your natal chart. Have a look at where the eclipse lies in your natal and SR charts. Four planets are already identified as having important roles. Saturn is your natal Sun ruler as well and therefore rules your SR Sun as well. Look at what planet rules the angle that the Sun will move to next in your eclipse chart and consider what it signifies in your natal chart - if it rules an angle in your natal chart then it too will be significant.

New Moon's represent a new beginning, so consider how a 'reborn' Saturn would function in your chart as well as a reborn Moon.

Dave's points should also be considered, and I'm not claiming that my points are anything but additional to his.

I will take a look at those three charts and find out all the details.

Dadsnook2000 said:
A Solar Return chart can be looked at as a solar-solar eclipse. A real solar eclipse is, of course, an event in which the Moon blocks out the Sun in terms of where the viewer stands on Earth. In your case, you will have a special event in which Sun-Sun-Moon are all aligned. This is a powerful situation. The only additional factor that could make it more potent would be if this occurred at an angle in the Solar Return chart or the natal chart.

What kind of angle would that be?
Dadsnook2000 said:
Looking at the Sun-Moon alignment upon your natal Sun, it would be prudent to look at where the Sun and Moon resides in your natal chart, how they aspect other planets, how they relate to each other, and which transiting planets on your S/R day aspect the Sun-Solar Eclipse point and natal Moon.

As a very general statement, you might expect that Moon symbolism (feeling, intuition, habits, family history) will become more pronounced and might change the Sun symbolism (will, intent, attitude, channeling of energies). A shift in your plans, a change in your character and how you lead or appear to others, etc. might be perceived in the coming year. Dave

Thanks that makes sense :) My sun and moon are both in cap (6th house), my moon forms an exact square to my mars in libra (2nd house).

Thankyou so much for your help :)

dadsnook2000

What kind of angle might that be?

The term "angle" relative to a natal chart is generally taken to be the MC or IC, the Ascendant or Descendant. These are powerful orientation factors in our natal chart or solar return chart, as well as in other charts. Planets near those angles tend to express themselves much more forcefully than when located at other locations. Dave