The Behenian Fixed Stars

Scion

Spica : Ear of Grain

How about Spica (from Latin spīca virginis "Virgo's ear of grain") for Trump III: The Empress?

Spica is associated with Demeter/Ceres and the various names of the star in different Mediterranean cultures connect it with the Virgin, Grain, Hips, and Feritility:
Al 'Azalah, "the Hip-bone".
Al Simak al A'zal, "the Defenceless", "or Unarmed"
Al' Adhra': The Virgin
Thomas Hyde indicates that the star is variously known as the Hebrew Shibboleth, the Syrian Shebbelta, the Persian Chushe, and the Turkish Salkim, all signifying the "Ear of Wheat"

Now the question becomes: why isn't the Empress given the "wandering Star" of Venus? But I'm thinking that Lucifer/Venus is given to Trump 17: The Star... I need to think about that one.

S

jmd

Though some recent decks want to push some association between the Empress and fertility (and hence, by various anagogical links, to Spica), there is probably a case to be made between her and Aquila (and its alpha star Altair).

Scion

Interesting, Jmd... And I hear what you mean... in fact many of the early religious references for Spica are about INfertility. Can you elaborate on the Aquila/Altair attribution?

Rosanne

I have been thinking about this. If the Name mean Behenian relates to the word root- that would mean base stars. If it relates to star shape flowers or the oil thereof i.e Saffron or thistles- these are the road side weeds/herbs along the way. They are not main flowers like Lotus or Roses for instance. So what do these weird choices portray. Yes, they are Bright stars, but not what one would choose first I think- like Formalhaut is missing.
From Agrippa..
Of Characters which are drawn from things themselves by a certain likeness.
We have spoken above of a certain manner of Images made not after the likeness of Celestial Images, but according to the emulation of that which the minde of the Operator doth desire. In like manner also it is to be understood of Characters; for such like Characters are nothing else then images ill dearticulated; yet having a certain probable similitude with the Celestial images, or with that which the mind of the Operator desires, whether that be from the whole image, or from certain markes thereof expressing the whole image.
So I guess the cards maybe are a part of the image bought to mind. So like Kwaw said -The Star has elements of what is depicted around it on a celestial map- Aquarius and the Pisces Austrinus the fish all in one card. I am thinking that maybe these 22 Cards are a celestial map cut up into individual pieces.
So from the Horns of Taurus and the sign for Mercury you might get to put Le Bateleur down by Aldebaran The Bulls eye and the wand shape of Aries and the front legs of Cetus. Also in the Le Bateleur card is what could be Fornax Chemica/Furnace, which on celestial maps looks like the Table with bread and other things on it. In ancient days it was associated with bread making ( Roman Goddess Fornax).
What I am trying to say is that Le Bateleur is a composite of that part of the Sky, indicated by the Behenian star Aldebaran/Ruby/Milk Thistle. Aid to memory for magical purposes. If you get my drift :D ~Rosanne

Rosanne

Here is a poor copy of a celestial map. There are no acknowledgments as to what celestial map this is, but the top right hand of the map shows Cetus and Fornax next to a Wand depicting Aries which would be below Cetus. Hope you can see it as I cannot enlarge it. ~Rosanne

Attachments

• Celestial map.jpg
    Celestial map.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 467

Rosanne

So looking at the Moon Card, Scorpious in the river of the milky way, heading toward Telecopium(looks like a tower of stars) to one side and Microscopium(The other tower) on the other, with Lupus to the right. This card would be signified by Antares. ~Rosanne

Rosanne

If these cards depict Behenian Stars on an Astronomical clock of a celestial type map, the description I gave above for the Star Card.. the Star has elements of what is depicted around it on a celestial map- Aquarius and the Pisces Austrinus the fish all in one card. it would be placed at XV11 hundred hours (1700) as on the map I scanned that I do not know the name of... bother. If Le Bateleur was by Cetus and Fornax, Aries it could be signified by Pleiades or Aldebaran it coincidentally would be at 0100 (1 am)hours on the Astronomical clock :D ~Rosanne

kwaw

Rosanne said:
So looking at the Moon Card, Scorpious in the river of the milky way, heading toward Telecopium(looks like a tower of stars) to one side and Microscopium(The other tower) on the other, with Lupus to the right. This card would be signified by Antares. ~Rosanne

Alternatviely the Moon could be seen as Cancer, with the two dogs Procyon and Sirius beneath; Procyon (the lamentor or weeper) being the 'root' star of the card [Procyon and Cancer being connected in star lore]; Sirius the crosser or travellor then connects into the Fool of which it is the 'root' star...? Regulus is perhaps the root star beneath Leo, placing Moon and Sun opposite Star / Delta Capricorni {tail of the goat} / Aquarius.

Bateleur as Spica is v. interesting, the relationship of the star to Virgo / Libra also links in perhaps to Justice.

Kwaw

Rosanne

These clock maps one of which I scanned are apparently called
Hemisphaerium astronomical 24 hour Celestial maps. I agree with you Kwaw about Cancer. I was just looking at this Hemisphaerum 24 hour map. The other half that I did not scan has Leo between 10am and 11am and at 01500 is Bootees with his harnessed dogs (XV). At 1300 hours on one side is Centaurus(Chiron); on the other is Bernice's Hair beside Virgo. I see in reading about these illustrated astronomical clock maps they have herbal ones as well. ~Rosanne
PS Arcturus and Capella are both orange yellow stars- I have not found out yet about the rest.