Best Tarot Books

metal_romantic

I don't know if it would inspire *you*, but I am making my way through the book "Tarot of an Old Gypsy" by Elsa Sariol and it is inspiring to me! It contains a wealth of information that I have not read elsewhere, with a different method of reading than I am familiar with (drawing cards without a spread, but a bit more complicated than that), which is really stretching my mind and getting me excited to try it all out! :) THE WHOLE BOOK IS PRINTED IN CAPITAL LETTERS AND THE GRAMMAR IS OFTEN INCORRECT- IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN PROOFREAD. AFTER GETTING "INTO" THE BOOK I FIND THAT THIS DOESN'T BOTHER ME AND IT IN FACT ADDS TO THE CHARM ;-) IF READING TEXT LIKE THIS IN CAPITALS GETS ON YOUR NERVES THEN IT IS PERHAPS NOT THE BEST BOOK FOR YOU, BUT IT HAS MY RECOMMENDATION! :)

Another book that inspires me to "play" with the cards is Lady Lorelai's "Tarot Life Planner", which takes the approach of learning how each card relates to you, how to manifest or banish the energies connected with the cards in your life, getting advice about career, love, etc, how to use the cards to plan and reach your goals... those kind of things ;-)

There are a few more I could probably recommend, but I'll have another look through them first.

daphne

metal_romantic said:
THE WHOLE BOOK IS PRINTED IN CAPITAL LETTERS AND THE GRAMMAR IS OFTEN INCORRECT- IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN PROOFREAD. AFTER GETTING "INTO" THE BOOK I FIND THAT THIS DOESN'T BOTHER ME AND IT IN FACT ADDS TO THE CHARM ;-) IF READING TEXT LIKE THIS IN CAPITALS GETS ON YOUR NERVES THEN IT IS PERHAPS NOT THE BEST BOOK FOR YOU, BUT IT HAS MY RECOMMENDATION! :)

No way, I could never read with capitals, this is what really stretch my mind :) Too bad they did not print a well done edition.

metal_romantic

daphne said:
No way, I could never read with capitals, this is what really stretch my mind :) Too bad they did not print a well done edition.

Haha... which is why I posted it like that, to give you a taste ;-)
I am REALLY enjoying reading the content though!

214red

the general book of tarot by A.E. Thierens [1930]

now this is good for a bit of history and some of the older tarot meanings

tarot heart

Great recommendations

Thanks to everyone for all these book recommendations..I AM GOING NOW TO LOOK FOR TAROT OF AN OLD GYPSY! IT SOUNDS FASCINATING!

I am going to look into all of the books recommended here. Will let you know if any strike a chord!

:thumbsup:

metal_romantic

tarot heart said:
Thanks to everyone for all these book recommendations..I AM GOING NOW TO LOOK FOR TAROT OF AN OLD GYPSY! IT SOUNDS FASCINATING!

I am going to look into all of the books recommended here. Will let you know if any strike a chord!

:thumbsup:

hehe cool, let us know how you go ;-)
IT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE SHOUTING, LOL!!!

gregory

214red said:
the general book of tarot by A.E. Thierens [1930]

now this is good for a bit of history and some of the older tarot meanings
That sounds very odd. Have the meanings changed since 1930, then ?

rwcarter

gregory said:
That sounds very odd. Have the meanings changed since 1930, then ?
Let's just say they've developed a few wrinkles since then. The world has changed a lot in the last 80 years and meanings that were relevant to the world of 1930 aren't as readily relevant to today's world.. But that's a thread for another forum. :)

Rodney

zephyr_heart

If you want a practical approach into tarot and a new way of looking into the cards, but don't want the confusing mumbo-jumbo and so much confusing phrases, try Absolute Beginner's Guide To Tarot by Mark McElroy's, and What's In the Cards for You?-Test The Tarot. The first book is all about practical approach to tarot, just like the author said: "No focus on hocus-pocus". The second book is good to deepen your own personal understanding instead of using canned and fixed meanings.

daphne

what about

What about Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot? I am thinking to buy it. Any feedback?