Tarot books for young people?

ihcoyc

I have a niece age 14 who has shown some interest in Tarot. I may give her a deck for Christmas: probably the Hanson-Roberts, it seems "safe," and it's based on RWS, so it probably will work well to learn with.

I probably ought to get her a book to go with, though. Does anyone have any recommendations for Tarot books for this particular age group?

Keslynn

I highly recommend Tarot for New Generation by Janina Renee. It's written so that teens can understand it, but it's not dumbed down at all either. There are some other tarot books written specifically for that age group but I don't remember the names right off the top of my head. Try searching amazon for tarot and teen.

:) Kes

ihcoyc

Thanks --- I know I've seen that around on bookstore shelves, and it sounds like it is pretty close to being just the ticket.

Kiama

I started studying Tarot at the age of 9, but didn't really buy any other books except for the one that I bought age 9, until I was around 13/14. I found that most of the books aimed at adults were okay for me aswell, apart from the Qaballistic/Hermeti/Golden Dawn based ones.

78 Degrees of Wisdom would be okay for a 14 year old, a would Tarot Journeys by Yasmine Galenorn: This book has a CD that comes with it, and is based around meditations which take you through each of the Major Arcana in visualisation. The CD has got the Fool and Magician guided meditation on it, and I loved them! The book gives you all of the guided visualisations in writing, with instructions about how to speak, when, etc, so you can record he other ones if you like. I loved this book and CD, as did my little sister, who listened to the CD when she was 10. It really helped me understand the Majors alot more.

Kiama

Maan

I second Keslynns recommedation its a great book and its ment for people that age!
But thats does not keep me from using it ;)

Red Emma

Books for Teen Taroists

I third Keslynn. I bought "Tarot for a New Generation" for my 13-year-old grandson, and he told me I'm the best Gramma ever...even now, a year later he's still into it.

Red Emma

Phoenix

Tarot for a New Generation is great(you knew I would say this, didn't you maan!! LOL!!)!! I found the way Janina Renee explained the cards was excellent(for people of all ages). You may also want to check out her other book, Tarot: Your Everyday Guide.

I've heard some good things about Tarot for Yourself, by Mary K. Greer, but I haven't read it myself. I liked The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by her, though.

jlbvt

Janina Renee Rocks!

I have Janina Renee's tarot spell book which is full of great meditation-on-the-cards spells. I find that besides being useful spells, they also help you learn the cards because of the visual images and the meditations you do to work the spells.

I also have her everyday tarot companion book. I may have the title mixed up, but it is a great book to use with any deck. I think her book for teens is probably great and right on target, if her previous work is any means to judge.