Books by Chatellier

Ophiel

I found these two books about the Marseille deck listed Amazon Canada, and was wondering if anybody here is familiar with them? I had French in school (don't ask how long ago, okay?) and never got to that stage called 'semi-fluent.' In fact, I only remember a few words. Merde! Anyway, I'm wondering if these books are worth learning French for...and judging from the publisher, I think these are from Quebec.

Tarot de marseille
by Chatellier Michèle V.
Paperback (April 2002)
Language: French
Quebecor ; ISBN: 2764005989

Tarot de marseille t2
by Chatellier Michèle V.
Paperback (October 2002)
Language: French
Quebecor ; ISBN: 2764005997

jmd

I haven't seen those books - but if anyone has spare Canadian dollars and doesn't know what to do with it, I'd be happy to receive a copy - let me know & I'll give you my postal address :):):)

Diana

I saw Volume 2 in a book-store yesterday.

I don't know anything about Volume 1, but if Volume 2 is anything to go on, I wouldn't bother. It's stuff like "if you have the Bateleur next to the Hermit next to the whatever, you'll be meeting a something or other who will do a whatchammalit within the next few days".

There are dozens and dozens of that kind of book on the market.

ihcoyc

Diana said:
It's stuff like "if you have the Bateleur next to the Hermit next to the whatever, you'll be meeting a something or other who will do a whatchammalit within the next few days".

There are dozens and dozens of that kind of book on the market.
This is interesting in itself. In the English speaking world, it seems very few of the Tarot books I've read go into that kind of detail on card combinations, and only a few of them even discuss basic aspects like elemental dignities in any detail.

The English method, based on each card individually, probably has a lot less to remember. I gather that the Tirage en Croix book (I think it was) you mentioned earlier this week --- apparently devoted to the detailed consideration of a single four card spread --- may contain something similar.

Is this in fact a significant difference between the English and French language traditions of approaching the cards? If so, I wonder if there other differences between the English and French approaches to writing on tarot?

Diana

ihcoyc: Very interesting, what you bring up here. Indeed, many French books talk about Tarot combinations. Some of them are very silly, and others are deeper. Most French books however, approach only the Majors. There are few that talk of the minors in any depth. I don't have Le Tirage en Croix, but indeed, it talks of these combinations.

As 99% of the French books are based on the Tarot of Marseille, (and most of these are based on the Grimaud deck), if they do talk about the minors, they will approach them from the elemental and numerological point of view. Few, unfortunately, go into great depth on the actual image one sees on the pips. Which makes me think that I should perhaps write my own book. Because when I see a pip, I see all the flowers, the stems, the colours, which flowers are open, which aren't, how they are placed, how they change from one card to the next. It's like having a garden full of flowers and elements. A lovely garden. When I grow up, I'll have a garden and a gardener to help me, and I'll design my garden along the lines of the Cups' Minors. And you'll all be invited to a tea-party and I'll give you signed copies of my book. :)

Kissa

Some references ?

Diana said:
There are few that talk of the minors in any depth. I don't have Le Tirage en Croix, but indeed, it talks of these combinations.
(...) Few, unfortunately, go into great depth on the actual image one sees on the pips.

As you know, I am building/filling up my Marseille bookshelf at the moment, so do you have any reference of books that approach minors as well ? Is Carole Sedillot "Ombres et Lumieres du tarot" one of them ?

I am considering buying the "Guide du tarot" a three-tome book by Corinne Morel: 1) Minors, 2) Majors, 3) Combinations/Reading examples. Each book has like 400 pages or more. I mean, there HAS to be something interesting in them !!??

Kissa

Kissa

Diana said:
Because when I see a pip, I see all the flowers, the stems, the colours, which flowers are open, which aren't, how they are placed, how they change from one card to the next. It's like having a garden full of flowers and elements. A lovely garden. When I grow up, I'll have a garden and a gardener to help me, and I'll design my garden along the lines of the Cups' Minors. And you'll all be invited to a tea-party and I'll give you signed copies of my book. :)

Oh dear !

When I joined this "historical and iconographic tarot" forum, I thought it was going to be dull ;-) ...

I wonder if I would be so interested in Tarot de Marseille if I were studying it alone at home ... You know like at school when the teacher has such a huge influence on the way the student gets interested/passionated/bored with a subject ...

Kissa

PS : I got my Hadar now, am I part of the class ? I mean, Teacher jmd gave it 5 stars and recommended it warmly ... ;-)

Diana

Kissa: Glad to know that you're not finding it so dull as all that! You'll see, there are times when your heart will go racing so fast you will run back to your Rider Waite clones in order to have a little rest!

But you'll find that rest is dull.

Carole Sédillot's book is great. I love it. Many of my quotes and interpretations come directly from her (I write stuff down in my Tarot notebooks, but don't often write down the references. Bad me.)

Corinne Morel has a good reputation, but I am embarassed to say that I have ignored her completely up to now. And I didn't even know she had written a book on the Minors. Thanks for telling me.

Hey, and now that you have your Hadar, instead of being a pupil, how about you becoming a co-teacher with all the rest of us? The teaching cloak is a fits-all-sizes and we share it amongst each other.