Hallowquest - lesson 31 - The Grail Maiden, Grail Two and Three

PathWalker

We read a short commentary on these cards, and then tackle questions, a task and a meditation.

QUESTIONS

1. Our society distrusts and shuns the imagination; bring to mind a time when your imaginative or creative life suffered mockery or imprisonment. Ask healing of the Grail Maiden.

2. With which of your close friends/family do you feel greatest concord? What qualities typify this concord?

3. What is the nature of your spiritual reserves? Where do you go when you are spiritually dry? (This might be a book, a place, a form of devotion etc.)

TASK

During this quest you can reconnect with the Grail each day by making a dedication at twilight. This can be performed anywhere and takes only a short time. At twilight, enter into stillness wherever you are and bring to mind your dreams and longings. Visualise a pool rippling out into the distance, bringing your dreams out of the still centre into manifestation.

MEDITATION

1. Leave the Grail Castle and journey in search of the Grail Maiden. She is your initiator into the Grail Realm. She may not let you drink from her cup unless you first promise to guard the waters - keeping both the water we drink and the water of he imagination free from pollution. Make your own dedication to serve these waters before you drink. Sit with the Grail maiden and look deeply into the waters. As a seer, she will give you answers about any aspect of your quest.

2. She leads you through the forest to Grail Two. Here there is an indescribable feeling of great peace and tranquillity. Sit in the rays of the Autumn sunshine and let some of that peace now enter your soul. As you hear the cooing of he doves, be aware of drawing the sunlight into your body through every pore of your skin, through every breath you make. This is important spiritual nourishment for the quest ahead.

3. You follow the path to Grail Three and find a table laid out for you. As you sit there, a group of maidens come bearing the food that you most desire and serve you. Eat as much as you will and give thanks to the damsels of the wells. Go on your way, full of strength and gladness.

PathWalker

PathWalker's lesson 31 questions + answers

QUESTIONS

1. Our society distrusts and shuns the imagination; bring to mind a time when your imaginative or creative life suffered mockery or imprisonment. Ask healing of the Grail Maiden.

As a child I was given colouring books and pencils. I remember my mother criticising my choices of colours! I ask the Grail Maiden for healing. I visualise her there, pouring out a drop from the Grail, and showing up the strands of the web with the light of the water. The colours belong to me - it is my choice and vision.

2. With which of your close friends/family do you feel greatest concord? What qualities typify this concord?

With my beloved - love and honesty.
With S - shared spiritual view point, different perspective.
With L - love, accepting attempts at honesty, history.
With E - gentle loving-kindness and a fresh perspective.

3. What is the nature of your spiritual reserves? Where do you go when you are spiritually dry? (This might be a book, a place, a form of devotion etc.)

When I am spiritually dry I turn to my tarot pack. I sit outdoors, my garden sacred circle maybe, or at the trees edge, I visit my oak tree or even in the shed if it's raining or in a special bath.
I listen to the sounds of nature - sea, birdsong, rain. I light a candle. I walk in nature. I seek solitude; I would visit the sea if I could.

PW

PathWalker

PathWalker's lesson 31 meditation

MEDITATION

1. Leave the Grail Castle and journey in search of the Grail Maiden. She is your initiator into the Grail Realm. She may not let you drink from her cup unless you first promise to guard the waters - keeping both the water we drink and the water of he imagination free from pollution. Make your own dedication to serve these waters before you drink. Sit with the Grail maiden and look deeply into the waters. As a seer, she will give you answers about any aspect of your quest.

2. She leads you through the forest to Grail Two. Here there is an indescribable feeling of great peace and tranquility. Sit in the rays of the Autumn sunshine and let some of that peace now enter your soul. As you hear the cooing of he doves, be aware of drawing the sunlight into your body through every pore of your skin, through every breath you make. This is important spiritual nourishment for the quest ahead.

3. You follow the path to Grail Three and find a table laid out for you. As you sit there, a group of maidens come bearing the food that you most desire and serve you. Eat as much as you will and give thanks to the damsels of the wells. Go on your way, full of strength and gladness.

- - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- -

“All who drink from the Grail are changed. Are you ready to be changed?
All who drink from the Grail make a pledge. Are you ready to make that pledge?
All who drink from the Grail are loved. Are you ready to receive and return that love?”

I walk away from the Castle and the coast, across sandy hillocks, across grassland, and towards the high trees. I hear the sound of the stream but never see it. But I find my way to the rove with the water whirling, and the Maiden awaits.
She welcomes me. She says I have been a long time choosing to come here, she asks me what I am afraid of?
We talk about my fear of being harnessed to something I grow tired off, something I cannot do. I say I don’t like to not have control, don’t want to be beholden to anyone. “But the Lady and the Lord?” She says. “Oh yes, the Lady and the Lord” I agree.
But it’s their cup, she tells me, it is created by them. To drink from it is to accept their love and their mission(?wrong word) and to give your love to them. She says...

“All who drink from the Grail are changed. Are you ready to be changed?
All who drink from the Grail make a pledge. Are you ready to make that pledge?
All who drink from the Grail are loved. Are you ready to receive and return that love?

Are you ready to drink?”
I take a deep breath and say that I am, and she passes me the cup.
It is not solemn, it is joyful and fun. I drink many times (cleansing and refreshing); I pour the water over me, I splash it on my eyes and face, I drink again. We laugh much, I am glad.
Then we sit and look into the cup – all I see is blue sky! “You don’t spend enough time looking at the sky” she says. We see and hear birds. I already have a love of all nature and an enjoyment of birds. “Can you pledge to care for birds in the best way you can? Will you provide drinking places for them? Plant trees? Put up nest boxes? Feed them when you can? Will this be how you begin for the Lady and the Lord?” This I can do and am happy to do.

We walk to a clearing, where I lie down in the sunshine and see the sky. The sunlight falls on me and I hear the birds singing around me. When the maidens come they simple food; bread, cheese, fruit and olives, water to drink. I scatter the crumbs to the birds, and bid all farewell. I leave joyfully.

I had avoided proceeding to the meditation for the longest time. The whole subject of the Grail was contentious for me, with it’s Christian connotations, and it’s requirement for holiness and so on. Also it seemed to me that the Grail, water, emotions, was the scariest of the elements, where one would loose control, be swept away, it is non-linear and it worried me. I also needed to come to certain points in my private life I think, to see the need for change in some areas, and how that might be accomplished.
Perhaps that was why, when I finally moved on, it was light-hearted and joyful. There may be more serious and deep-searching times later in the quest, but for now I realise I have already committed to my path, and my vision of the Divine, and this is just a furthering of that.

Blessings to all, before and behind me on the path.
PathWalker