The bonefire has landed

VGimlet

I've been keeping an eye out too, and will post here when mine arrives. :D

wooden-eye

Thanks VGimlet and MoonGypsy. I really appreciate that. I have reports that some of the UK decks have touched down, so the US can't be far behind.

Kgirl

I think I'll be definitely getting this one. Just a gorgeous looking deck.

Bravo wooden-eye! :D

daphne

Part 2 of my favs from the Bonefire.

4 of swords - The presence of one shoe grabbed my attention. Either she is not quite as relaxed as she could be, or she is ready to leap into action should the need arise. Adds a nice touch to the idea of taking a time out.

3 of wands - Like the idea of comparing a map to what is really in front of you. What do you do if they are markedly different?

Page of swords - Another court card that you get the 'feel' of, as opposed to read through visual presentation alone. Again you sense the lack of real control you would associate with the page. She seems to be flying higher than the kites and is not looking too comfortable with that. A great sense of thoughts and ideas needing to be grounded a little.

10 of swords - a regular depiction, but what can you make of the vultures gathering. May add a nice angle to consider in a reading if you actually focus on the birds for the interpretation. This isn't massively different to some depictions, but I think it has subconscious layers. For example, I had the "how the mighty have fallen" saying come to mind when I saw how muscular and strong that guy looked.

9 of cups - Again a semblence of a recognisable scene when compared to RWS but you get more of a feeling of self isolation here. I tend to read this card more often than not as being happy in their own skin without the need to have someone else in their life to make them feel fulfilled. However, the skull is giving me more food for thought. That it may lead to a sense of being unfulfilled or empty on occasion, particularly on a mental level. Again, nothing really earth shattering but when I look at this card I feel a shift in what I usually see.

I hope others see something in this deck that may cause them to give it due consideration. Gabi has created something with this deck that I am finding hard to explain. Yes - me who is usually the master of 500 words when 50 will suffice :D :D It is certainly going to stretch me to work in a different way other than straight forward visual springboarding. It has a raw edge to it, mainly because of the style of artwork which I find refreshing.

Thank you for your thoughts and pictures, I really enjoyed reading them. This intrigues me more. Very refreshing takes on meanings. I am looking forward to see it in person.
How is the printing, are the colors bright, bold, jewel like, or more... pastel-like?

daphne

* Vanitas paintings are still life paintings that reached the height of their popularity in the Netherlands in the 17th century. Each of the objects chosen for the still life represented the fragility and ephemeral nature of life and earthly pleasures. All of the objects in the Bonefire 9 of Cups are traditional Vanitas objects.

Thank you for the info, I did not know this. That`s why I love tarot. I can find the history of the world in it. :)

SarahJoy

there is so much I could say about the deck, it really could use a book, but I am not sure that I have the strength of the skills to write it. I realise this sounds like a cop out, but I do really need to paint and read Tarot, not write, I wrote a terrible novel a couple of years ago and it damned nearly killed me.

I know what you mean. I'm awesome about talking about and/or selling anything but my own stuff. I once sold a broken Halloween cookie in November; I can write pages and pages on someone else's work. When it comes to my own stuff, it's all, "So, it's a painting, and, um, . . . there's a person, and, um, . . . colors, . . . and it's cool and stuff." I'm terrible about translating my confidence and vision in my work into words. Writing's so much easier when it's not gut-wrenchingly personal.

It would actually make a really interesting companion book if you used quotes from readers that you felt particularly encapsulated what you meant to express in your paintings/cards. Say, open a thread here and ask for input, and harass all your friends, and so on. It'd really emphasize the universality of the messages, and it'd be fun.

At the moment I just wish the flaming post would hurry up and deliver more Bonefires around the world, It seems to be taking so long that I feel like I have posted them all wrong or something and they will never turn up.
patience....

I'll make sure to post or PM you as soon as I get mine, to ease your mind. :D

SarahJoy

Thank you for the info, I did not know this. That`s why I love tarot. I can find the history of the world in it. :)

Thanks, Daphne. After I posted, I felt like I was being too pedantic, but you've eased my mind. It sounds lame, I know, but I wanted for people to "get" the brilliance and subtlety that Gabi put into the card. :)

daphne

Thanks, Daphne. After I posted, I felt like I was being too pedantic, but you've eased my mind. It sounds lame, I know, but I wanted for people to "get" the brilliance and subtlety that Gabi put into the card. :)

I am very glad you did it, please do this more often, I have no art knowledge, it is always nice to learn bits of info from people with different backgrounds.