Playing Cards

poivre

I usually read the playing cards according to the Tarot without the Majors.
Looked over the book Personal Prophesy & I think it is excellent.
I'll be getting one.
Thanks!

Rusty Neon

There are many different 'fully-illustrated' theme-based playing cards available, where all 52 cards of the deck are illustrated along the lines of a theme. For example, there is 20th century art, photos of Elvis Presley, cartoon characters, plants, birds, nursery rhymes. And I've seen a photoreproduction deck of a playing card deck illustrated with fables from Aesop's Fables. (Be careful, though, there are various theme decks where only the court cards are illustrated.)

While the images on each of the cards on such fully-illustrated playing card decks are chosen randomly without regard to divinatory meanings of the cards, it could be fun to try to use the cards for divination: using number and suit, but having regard also to the picture in the card. Or have regard to the picture alone, treating the deck as a non-tarot, non-playing card oracle deck.

I confess I haven't tried this yet.

Mystic_Blue_Jay

ros said:
I usually read the playing cards according to the Tarot without the Majors.

I have a themed playing card deck which has art from "Egyptain Tarots" by Sylvana Alasia (I think it's from the minors only, though). So... how should I read this deck minor arcana Tarot style or as a playing card deck?

I too will be checking into "Personal Prophesy" since I haven't found a good "how to read playing cards" book yet either. Thanx Lee.

tmgrl2

What a great bunch of links within this thread.

I saw a woman reading with a regular pack of playing cards at a psychic fair this past fall. It was kind of cool since all of the other cards out at the other tables were various sizes of RSW decks.

I like Page for Jacks as Umbrae does. I haven't read with a regular deck, but I wonder if at at times Jacks would seem to be Knights and at other times, Pages.

Also...
For some reason...and I haven't looked this up, but in my association, I think of clubs/wands, spades/swords, hearts/cups and diamonds/coins or pentacles.

Does this make sense? Some of the links seem to focus on meanings attached to a particular number of a particular suit, but I am not clear on a general sense of suit attribution, if there is one.

terri

Lee

tmgrl2 said:
For some reason...and I haven't looked this up, but in my association, I think of clubs/wands, spades/swords, hearts/cups and diamonds/coins or pentacles.
Hi terri, this is actually the standard way of correlating playing-card suits to tarot suits, although of course once in a while there'll be some author with a different correlation.

-- Lee

tmgrl2

Thanks, Lee. I remember reading something about it. The clubs, spades and hearts seem more "obvious" to me than the diamond, but that is the one that is "left," although "diamonds" remind me of earthly "wealth."

terri

Phoenix Rising

I have recently become interested in playing cards, and reading and searching the net for card interpretations, they were all so different. Twelve of Hearts website was a good link, but the card meanings were all based on tarot. another site was by Linda ake canje and she had the astrological link to all the cards. So in the end I decided to make up my own card meanings. Based on numerology, the suits and basically what I felt. 4 of clubs is a vehicle to me, because it reminds me of 4 tyres. I have cards for sister/inlaw and brother/inlaw. 4 hearts-baby girl and 5 hearts baby boy. I usually have 2 meanings to each card. Ace of hearts is the Home(Home is where the heart is) or news from loved ones.
I like to use the whole deck, because it gives more wholeness and they were designed to represent nature and the universe. 52 weeks, 13 seasons, 4 elements, duality, so why leave half of them out?

If anyone is interested I can post my card meanings on another thread.

tatsi

Personal Prophecy book

Lee said:
I just came across a very interesting-looking book. It's called "Personal Prophecy," by Deborah Leigh. I ordered it from Amazon, and then I found the publisher's website, where you can actually read the entire book online:

http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=0595291953

The card meanings seem to be derived from the types of meanings one can find in older sources, but they've been given a modern psychological depth. They don't seem to have anything to do with number+suit methods. And unlike several online sites that deal with playing card divination, the meanings have nothing whatsoever to do with RWS-derived meanings.

The book is set up as a course with several levels, and she goes through each card step by step and tries to lead you to feel the card's meanings rather than simply knowing some keywords on an intellectual level.

-- Lee

P.S. The author has a website of her own where she is known as the Psychic Love Doctor! :p

http://www.psychiclovedoctor.com/

Thanks Lee. This really looks like a well thought out system. How did you like the book?

tatsi

poivre

Phoenix Rising I would be interested in reading your meanings if you would
post them "someday when you have the time."
I'm sure others will be interested also.
I have had a very nice reading from you a while back and feel you
have a good system going on.

Just like to see how you do what you do!

You would also help us with our own learning of playing cards.

Thanks,
ros

Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising I would be interested in reading your meanings if you would
post them "someday when you have the time."
I'm sure others will be interested also.
I have had a very nice reading from you a while back and feel you
have a good system going on.

Just like to see how you do what you do!

You would also help us with our own learning of playing cards.

Hi Ros

I will post my card meanings in another thread, would like to see how others use them too, and if they will help.

Thanks,
ros[/QUOTE]