New Fournier Marseille?

Dwaas

Ah thanks shaveling!
Now I have to get the standard size as well... :)
Do you use the mini as well for readings?
Blessings

shaveling

Dwass,
Mostly when I use a mini, it's to save a spread I've already done with standard size cards. That way I have the spread reproduced on a small, movable surface so I can have my table for other purposes and still look at the cards to think about them for a longer time. The Fournier mini is smaller than the other minis I have, the Camoin and the Grimaud, you can easily fit a largish spread on a standard clipboard.

But I'll occasionally use my minis for a spread on the area in front of my computer screen or if I'm reading in bed.
-shaveling

Abrac

We seem to be veering away from the original subject a bit, but that's cool. I just received a Fournier deck I won on eBay that I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify.

The backs are dark blue and have a radiant, golden sun on them. The colors are like, wow, very nice. A lot different from my Fournier that has the greenish backs with geometric patterns on them. The card stock feels more like paper than the other one too.

It seems old to me, very used anyway. Maybe a first edition, or an earlier one at least. It didn't come with a box.

Anyone ever hear of this version, or know anything about it, like its age and what its original box may have been?

-fof

Dwaas

Thanks shaveling for telling how you use your mini Fournier. It is indeed perfect to lay spreads in bed. :)

fools_fool said:
The backs are dark blue and have a radiant, golden sun on them. The colors are like, wow, very nice. A lot different from my Fournier that has the greenish backs with geometric patterns on them. The card stock feels more like paper than the other one too.

And the frontcolors are the same as the yet common Fournier Marseille?? Now I also like to know what version this is. Anyone?

Abrac

The colors on this deck follow the same scheme as a regular Fournier, only richer with more saturation.

There are several other differences with this deck. On the regular deck, the pips are marked with numbers on the sides and the bottom. On this one the numbers are only on the sides. The Coins don't have numbers at all. The writing on the Two of Coins and Two of Cups is the same on both; however, "Heraclio Fournier/Vitoria/Made in Spain," is missing from the Five of Swords on this one.

-fof

Sulis

fools_fool said:
We seem to be veering away from the original subject a bit, but that's cool. I just received a Fournier deck I won on eBay that I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify.

It seems old to me, very used anyway. Maybe a first edition, or an earlier one at least. It didn't come with a box.

Anyone ever hear of this version, or know anything about it, like its age and what its original box may have been?

-fof

Hi Fools_fool,

It sounds like this deck that LittleBuddha asked about a while ago:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=38766

Abrac

Thanks Sulis - very helpful thread indeed!

Very odd that this deck would come in a set with a book that is illustrated with the 1JJ...LOL.

I love this deck, so much so I traded off my other Fournier (which I was thinking of doing anyway cuase I didn't care much for the green backs). Actually, I wanted this other one for the backs, then when I saw the fronts I fell in love with it.

The card stock is pretty flimsy. One card, the Ten of Batons has a crease all the way across the bottom of it. You can tell this deck has seen some serious use.

I bought it from a seller in the UK, so this would make sense if it was distributed by a London-based company.

Thanks all!

-fof

Abrac

Northwind said:
When I saw this notice I thought the Fournier had been recolored again but that does not seem to be the case.
Curiosity finally got the best of me and I ordered this deck. It hasn't been recolored, but there are some major changes in color quality.

The colors of the previous version (dark blue box w/pink lettering) appear faded and washed out. This has been corrected in the new version. The colors are richer and more defined. There is still room for improvement to some of the minors and court cards (it completely baffles me why there is so much inconsistency in print quality in some tarot decks), but overall it is a very nice update indeed.

The backs are different too. On the previous version they are "geenish," but on this version they are beige and tan, though the design remains the same.

-fof